Is this just a minor bug or is my game broken?

edited April 2016 in The Wolf Among Us

Dear forum,

I'm playing the Wolf Among Us on Steam.

When I started Episode 2, the "Previously" reel which shows the pivotal scenes of
Episode 1 had a scene in it that never happened.

It showed the Woodsman giving a speech in the bar about how he is innocent.
This never happened during the game when I played it, because I hit the
Woodsman with a glass.

Strangely, the recap summary seemed to reflect all the other choices I had made,
such as keeping Beauty's secret, breaking the arm of the bar owner, threatening
the Toad, etc...

Why is the recap reel slightly incorrect?

I've had problems in the past with Telltale Games forgetting my choices on Steam,
especially when Cloud Sync was on.

Does this mean the game is forgetting my choices? Or is this just a bug that others
have encountered?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• No, in this particular recap Woody always talks about how he's innocent. It does not depend on your choices, it was probably an overlook or laziness of the developers. You've got nothing to worry about.

• edited April 2016

Thanks for your comment, but I'm not sure...

Unfortunately, I am having all sorts of issues with
    the Trip Trap Bar Scene now.

I noticed that it also forgot my choice of ripping off the dude's
    arm in the bar fight!

Well in fact, to be more accurate, when you rewind
    to the start of the episode, the recap changes!

The first recap shows the arm being ripped off, the
    second recap doesn't if you rewind.

That is two big inaccuracies! What else has it forgotten?

This is probably a Steam issue, are you playing the game on Steam?

• edited April 2016

Can anyone else confirm or deny that the Woodsman is always supposed to make a speech
    about his innocence in the recap, no matter what happens during Episode 1?

• Blind SniperBlind Sniper Moderator
    edited April 2016

That is correct. You know how when you make a minor dialogue choice and the characters will then continue onward having some of the same major conversations afterwards to forward the plot? Well, that line of dialogue about the Woodsman being innocent is something almost all players hear. Hearing the Woodsman recount his innocence is not a significant choice and is a line of dialogue that (almost) all players encounter, so it seems Telltale did not update their recaps to account for the few players who did not hear that dialogue. That alone is not an indication your save is recalling incorrect choices.

• Did you inadvertently start a new save file? Restarting an episode should not change the choices you made up until the point where you went back too. It sounds like you might have somehow modified your save file in game?

[I am only a volunteer - I am not a Telltale Staff member]

• Thanks for confirming this, that is good to know.

I would describe that as a bug with the game, since the recap should never include
    something that didn't happen.

Tech support could have told me that right away, but instead they made me run a
    support tool, and then told me my games aren't saving at all (which isn't true).

Thanks for clearing that up, I promote you from moderator to CEO :)

That is correct. You know how when you make a minor dialogue choice and the characters will then continue onward having some of the same maj

• Yes, I rewinded Episode 2 to the beginning and then saved it as a different file.

That is what caused the recap to change, and suddenly the guy's arm wasn't broken.

I deleted this new save file, and went back to the original, and the game appears to
    be working now, but I'm scared to rewind again :)

Did you inadvertently start a new save file? Restarting an episode should not change the choices you made up until the point where you went

Sign in to comment in this discussion.