TOMI Sometimes Wont Start Up

edited July 2009 in Game Support
When I originally downloaded the demo, just as the window was about to switch to full screen (saying "Avast" on the screen) I got the error "Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienience." I was left with the options of "Debug", "Send Error Report" and "Don't Send". I, of course, sent the error report to Microsoft.

When I tried to run it again it loaded perfectly and I played the demo.

I have since bought the game and the problem, of course, hasn't gone. Around 50% of the times I run the game I get this error and have to start it again.

Is there any way of fixing this or do I just have to put up with it?

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    Well, you can try updating your directx and your graphics drivers. I'd say those are the most likely culprits. If that doesn't fix it we can try and dig a little deeper into what's causing the problem. That's definitely strange behavior though, usually the game either works or it doesn't. The hazy middle-ground is a bit baffling.
  • edited July 2009
    Both my DirectX and video card driver seem to be up to date.

Here are a few of my computer's specs (the ones I think you may need):

System:
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3700+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
    1022Mb RAM
    DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache
    256Mb RAM
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6230 (English)

Its obviously not as good at running Monkey Island as other computers, but with the right in-game graphical settings it runs as it should.

I hope these help, as I see that someone else seems to have encountered the same problem.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Graxer wrote: »
    Graphics Card:
    NVIDIA GeForce 6200SE TurboCache
    256Mb RAM
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6230 (English)

That one isn't up to date. It is version 162.30. The most recent driver for your card is Version 186.18
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That one isn't up to date. It is version 162.30. The most recent driver for your card is Version 186.18

Thanks. I'm just updating it. At one point Windows update gave me updated NVIDIA drivers, so I assumed it still would if there were any.

I will report back if the problem remains.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I will report back if the problem remains.

Please also report if it's solved :)
  • edited July 2009
    I have just updated my video card drivers and I still have the problem. :( Thanks for the suggestion anyway. At least my driver is up to date now!
  • edited July 2009
    Hmm... Do you have the latest service pack installed? If you've got Windows Update enabled, chances are you do, but you might want to check anyway.
  • edited July 2009
    Yes, I have service pack 3. Thanks anyway.

I have sort of found out what my problem is. (I think) When I press "Launch Game" on the loader before the blue background has loaded:

narwhal1.jpg

It crashes while the game is starting up. However if I wait until it has fully loaded:

narwhal1.jpg

The game boots up as it should.

This is kind of annoying. Is it possible to fix it?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I have just updated my video card drivers and I still have the problem. :( Thanks for the suggestion anyway. At least my driver is up to date now!

That's sad.
    I think after testing PimPamPet 's suggestion you should try Will's msconfig procedure.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I have service pack 3. Thanks anyway.

I have sort of found out what my problem is.

Okay, before you try my other proposal, which version of Internet Explorer do you have? The startup screen uses it.
  • edited July 2009
    Okay, before you try my other proposal, which version of Internet Explorer do you have? The startup screen uses it.

I use Internet Explorer 8.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I use Internet Explorer 8.
    okay :-)
    narwhal1.jpg

I can only get to this state if my internet connection is down. But in my case it runs too then.

You should try the msconfig solution mentioned above now.
  • edited July 2009
    okay :-)

I can only get to this state if my internet connection is down. But in my case it runs too then.

You should try the msconfig solution mentioned above now.

Ok, I just tried the msconfig solution. When I had the settings changed the laucher bypassed that state, so the problem had gone. However, obviously, when I switched it back the problem returned.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Ok, I just tried the msconfig solution. When I had the settings changed the laucher bypassed that state, so the problem had gone. However, obviously, when I switched it back the problem returned.

That sounds promising. Now we have to pinpoint the application that interferes with the game.
    Do you have any firewall or Antivirus software running?
  • edited July 2009
    That sounds promising. Now we have to pinpoint the application that interferes with the game.
    Do you have any firewall or Antivirus software running?

Yes, I have McAfee Security Suite and Spyware Doctor.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Yes, I have McAfee Security Suite and Spyware Doctor.

Maybe that's the reason why the game shows that it can't connect.
    Take a look at this solution. Your problem sound's exactly like his and also involves McAfee.
  • edited July 2009
    Maybe that's the reason why the game shows that it can't connect.
    Take a look at this solution. Your problem sound's exactly like his and also involves McAfee.

That has sorted my problem perfectly. :D Thanks for your help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    That has sorted my problem perfectly. :D Thanks for your help!

I am glad i could help :)
    Now go and have fun with the game.
This discussion has been closed.