Splash screen not loading correctly

edited July 2009 in Game Support
Hi,

I am trying to get Tales of Monkey Island working, but I have a problem with the splash screen. The splash shows HTML instead of a webpage:
monkeyisland.jpg

does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• edited July 2009
    It looks like it's failing to run the javascript. You could try checking that Java is installed on your PC and up to date:

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
  • edited July 2009
    Graxer wrote: »
    It looks like it's failing to run the javascript. You could try checking that Java is installed on your PC and up to date:

http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp

I'm 100% certain my Java is working correctly. Also, not only the Javascript is not loaded, but the complete HTML is not rendered :(

I have tried to update my .NET framework, DirectX and Internet Explorer but they were not the problem.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    corpaul wrote: »
    I'm 100% certain my Java is working correctly. Also, not only the Javascript is not loaded, but the complete HTML is not rendered :(

I have tried to update my .NET framework, DirectX and Internet Explorer but they were not the problem.

Java and JavaScript are two different things. Neither one is related with the rendering of HTML. JavaScript is used to manipulate content of the Website after it was rendered.

You could check the security settings of your Internet Explorer.
    I could also imagine that some kind of security software interferes with loading the website properly.

Depending on whether you have XP or Vista you should try one of these:

Msconfig for Windows XP:
    To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately still no luck.
  • edited July 2009
    Could be an installation error. You haven't played the game at all yet, right? I'd suggest to uninstall it, verify the entire directory-tree is indeed gone and then re-download it and re-install it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    fpostma wrote: »
    Could be an installation error. You haven't played the game at all yet, right? I'd suggest to uninstall it, verify the entire directory-tree is indeed gone and then re-download it and re-install it.

Before downloading it again it is generally recommended that you
    delete your browsers cache/temporary internet files so that it is not loaded from there:

In recent Firefox and Internet Explorer you can delete the cache/temporary internet files with CTRL-Shift-Del.
    In Firefox you would only select "Cache".
    In Internet Explorer only select "Temporary Internet Files".
    Uncheck all other boxes in each case.
  • edited July 2009
    Again, no luck. I have to say I have encountered this issue with more games and applications, e.g. some of the Zylom games (www.zylom.nl). That's why I believe there is something wrong with one of my Windows components, but I cannot figure out which one :(
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Again, no luck. I have to say I have encountered this issue with more games and applications, e.g. some of the Zylom games (www.zylom.nl). That's why I believe there is something wrong with one of my Windows components, but I cannot figure out which one :(

How did it look like in those games?
  • edited July 2009
    Just found out I had to make IE my default browser. This fixed the problem.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    How did it look like in those games?
    The same, HTML did not get processed but showed up as in a text editor. But I found the problem, IE had to be the default browser to parse correctly.
  • edited July 2009
    Sounds like a MIME-type handling problem (or some 'security' application mangling incoming headers, though that is less likely). Even IE8 on it's most restricted security settings manages to render the page at least.
  • edited July 2009
    But I found the problem, IE had to be the default browser to parse correctly.

That's not nessecary, I use FireFox as default and it works fine. Sounds like whatever WAS your default browser somehow corrupted html handling by the IE component.

Ah well, it's solved.. go become a Mighty Pirate(tm) ! :)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    fpostma wrote: »
    That's not nessecary, I use FireFox as default and it works fine.

Me too. You might try if it still works when you set your preferred browser as default again.
  • edited July 2009
    Indeed after setting the default browser back to Firefox it still works. Very weird.

Ah well, trim the sails and roam the sea!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Indeed after setting the default browser back to Firefox it still works. Very weird.

Ah well, trim the sails and roam the sea!

Oh well, i hate bugs that vanish automagically. It always leaves a feeling of incompletion, like a creature in the dark that can strike back at any time.

But great that it works so far.
This discussion has been closed.