Does this game really deserve the hate?

Comments

• It doesn't deserve outright hatred, I just think that it's very lacking, even for a kids game. I bought Episode 1 on Android when it was on sale and I can honestly say that it doesn't interest me and that I will never play the entirety of it. I don't like the humor and think that most of the voice acting is pretty poor. Since it's based on Minecraft I'll refrain from rating its animation. The story also seems weak from what I've seen by tuning in here once in a while.

• I hope you're kidding. xD

Journey95 posted: »

Yeah it does, its garbage. Telltale should have made a second season of TWAU or hell another interesting new IP would be cool but nope instead we get shitty Minecraft

• I think EPs 1 and 2 are kinda weak (1 is not an amazing start, and 2 is a rushed episode), but it gets a LOT better with EP 3.

It doesn't deserve outright hatred, I just think that it's very lacking, even for a kids game. I bought Episode 1 on Android when it was on

• Maybe it doesn't deserve hate. But it definitely didn't deserve a 3 episode extension or even a full season for that matter

• edited August 2016

I'll agree that the Wither Storm Arc wasn't very impressive (at least not for me personally), so much as it pains me to say.

Ever since I watched the announcement teaser for this game, I had high hopes for it. Maybe it was too much to expect*, but I really wanted to believe that TellTale could deliver on the possibilities this sort of format presented. That said, the first four episodes didn't feel so much like a genuine cohesive story as much as they felt like an experiment. It was as though TellTale had gone for so long without making a game for all ages that they needed to completely rethink their writing style within the small time frame they gave themselves.

Excited for what it could've been, the last thing I wanted to admit at the time was that it just wasn't the experience I was searching for. Now that TellTale seems to have revamped their style with a better focus on Story Mode's strengths for the Hall of Portals Arc, I can say that Story Mode- DLC and all- is a pretty decent game. Still, I can't help but be disappointed by what this game could've been if taken in the right direction.

Those who criticize Story Mode are people who's opinions aren't unfounded, and the same goes for people who enjoyed Story Mode also. I'd almost think those who genuinely had fun, however, are those who came in with essentially no expectations and simply wanted more TellTale in their life- not that I mean this as a bad thing, of course. I'm just saying I understand where some of the hate might be coming from, even if a lot of it is unjustified.

*(not that I mean to talk negatively about their competency- I'm just saying that my hype for it was probably too high)

• Although Episode 5 and up are significantly better than 1-4

Wigams posted: »

Maybe it doesn't deserve hate. But it definitely didn't deserve a 3 episode extension or even a full season for that matter

• Have you even played Minecraft: Story Mode?

Yeah it does, its garbage. Telltale should have made a second season of TWAU or hell another interesting new IP would be cool but nope instead we get shitty Minecraft

• Journey95 posted: »

• I like TWAU, but I also like other TelltaleGames. But if they only focused on TWAU, Telltale wouldn't have that much of a fanbase as it does now. And there are other games that are just as good. Have you played TWD,tftbl, GoT, or even Batman?

• Idk I heard that telltale has plenty enough staff too work on games from both sides

Piggs posted: »

Telltale has a history of being understaffed and having that get in the way of release dates, which is what screwed TWAU over. It seems that

• edited August 2016

agreed on second part.

Spookyx posted: »

It is unfortunate that there are younger audiences and perhaps those not as well versed in the actual business of the game industry to reali

• Ethan from Telltale's Game of Thrones. :V Not sure if you played, so that's about all I'll say to avoid spoilers. Not that it's that big a spoiler, but...

Deltino posted: »

my 2nd favorite after Ethan Exactly what Ethan are we referring to here

• edited August 2016

Just finished Episode 3. It's quite good and better than Episode 1 and 2.

• No shes not
    The game one from the best telltale's games ever and shis goood so good

• Not according to GameInformer. Ep 1 got 8.25/10 Ep 4 & 6 got 7.75/10 and Ep 5 got 7/10.

• yes it deserves to die and I hope it burns in heck ;)

• Cope49Cope49 Banned
    edited August 2016

Does this game really deserve the hate?

Yes.

It is MineCraft .

• Did you play it?

SweetDee posted: »

yes it deserves to die and I hope it burns in heck

• edited August 2016

It still makes me chuckle when some people judge games by the targeted audience and see it as bad and then after playing it they become a huge fan xD

Before Playing Game

"This game is for kids, it sucks!"

After Playing Game

"I've played every game five times, read every book thrice and watched every let's play of it once, when's the sequel due?"

fancies posted: »

Because MCSM is rated PG 10+, people are turned off by it for being a "kid's game," and therefore want to act more mature by hating on it, somehow...it doesn't work, though.

• In terms of the quality of choices, I'd actually argue that Minecraft: Story Mode's is on par with every other TTG game, if not ever so slightly better.

• I think just saying 'Minecraft' garners a strange amount of hate.

Pipas posted: »

Nah. Most people judge it harshly just because it's Minecraft without even playing it.

• If you don't like minecraft okay but respect people who like...

Cope49 posted: »

Does this game really deserve the hate? It is MineCraft .

• Did you play it?

• No im pretty sure its Minecraft Story mode. Not Mindcraft whatever that is...

• Did you even play it?

SweetDee posted: »

yes it deserves to die and I hope it burns in heck

• Ratings are pretty meaningless in general, but I do agree with the sentiment there (And Pika's numbers pretty much are on track with how I feel about the series)

Anyway, the game had a slow start and a weird fan base, but I think it came into its own. One of the better TTG IMO.

Not according to GameInformer. Ep 1 got 8.25/10 Ep 4 & 6 got 7.75/10 and Ep 5 got 7/10.

• Words can't describe the ignorance of this comment

• Considering people who constantly play Minecraft also tends to dislike this game, it's no surprise that it got way more "hate" than other Telltale Games releases.

After this whole "Batman" thing lately, I have came to think that Minecraft Story Mode isn't bad. It doesn't try to be overly serious which is where Telltale Games shine.

• It's just because people judge Minecraft, they don't judge any other telltale game and they judge this one because it's different

• Because this game deserves to be criticized by it's art style rather than it's story, right?

• edited August 2016

Hmm... "Mindcraft"...

If not for the potential cash-in criticisms ("Oh, of course you'd call it that to draw in the Minecraft fanbase!"), that actually sounds like an interesting game...

No im pretty sure its Minecraft Story mode. Not Mindcraft whatever that is...

• I feel people hate it just because it's Minecraft, and people often dislike it due to it's visual style. As a game it's not truly brimming with the usual standerd of Telltales story telling. However I feel it's accomplished it's own achievements. It's brought Minecraft into a story based world and given us characters and people we can identify with and enjoy interacting with. Yes, it's obviously more aimed towards children but that doesn't detract the overall quality provided in the games.

People might dislike the Wither Storm arc, but I enjoyed it, quite a lot actually.

I'll always support telltale while not holding back any feedback if need be. In terms of Minecraft I feel it's main resentment comes from the fact that Minecraft is identified in itself as a childish entity, so anything related to it makes it automatically hated.

• My son played it .

Did you play it?

• No.

MegaXD posted: »

If you don't like minecraft okay but respect people who like...

• The story is just as bland as it's art style.

MimoDX2 posted: »

Because this game deserves to be criticized by it's art style rather than it's story, right?

• exactly,because they think minecraft is a kids game or something judgy about it,

I feel people hate it just because it's Minecraft, and people often dislike it due to it's visual style. As a game it's not truly brimming w

• edited August 2016
  • If your son played it and you didn't, why are you the one complaining?

My son played it .

• Who? Me or SweetDee?

BeyondEnder posted: »

Did you even play it?

• I get that some people who have played might not like the game, but most of the people who outright hate the game have NOT played even a demo of the game.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.