TWAU timeline - A small investigation

Hello again,

So I've replayed the game lately (you know me...) and I actually stumbled upon a few details which led me into a small investigation of my own. Using my brain and a few scraps of info scattered throughout the game, I've managed to pinpoint the exact time and date for each episode. It's not really as much of a revolutionary topic as more of a cool detail to know if you're a fan of the game... Anyway let's get to it!

=====================================

So the first piece of information is known to the public: TWAU takes place roughly 15 years before the first issue of Fables comic, in year 1986 to be exact.

Now pinpointing the month is a bit sneaky task. In the very first seconds of the game, as Bigby drives in the cab we hear a radio news anchor mentioning that the weather is "hottest ever in June". However, in the next episode when we get to meet Nerissa in the dressing room in Pudding'n'Pie, we can see the calendar on the wall which is displaying the page for July already. This means that the first scene of EP1 had to take place at the end of the month, while the next episode takes place at the very beginning of the next month.

This is probably what most of you have noticed. It takes place inbetween June and July of 1986, that's what most of people know and noticed. I didn't think we could deduce more than that, but during my last playthough I stumbled upon one more scrap of information. If you choose to go to the Tweedles office in episode 3, you are more than likely to run though some folders in the file cabinet. You find the files for following characters: Donkeyskin, Crane, Cinderella, Beauty, Brannigan. The first two are what is required to push the story forward, the others seem like they are just there as a cool little detail. But! The file of Det. Brannigan contains a piece of a newspaper which shows an article regarding the police station falling asleep earlier that day. More than that, it mentions that this way was... Tuesday! That was enough for me to check the calendar we have found in the dressing room, cross reference it with the real life calendar for the year 1986 (they match!) and conclude what, how, where and when! Or at a very least when...

So, this is when the events of TWAU took place:

• Day 1 - Opening scene of Episode 1, late evening / night of June 29th 1986 (Sunday)
  • Day 2 - Rest of the Episode 1, June 30th 1986 (Monday)
  • Day 3 - Entirety of Episode 2 and about half of Episode 3, July 1st 1986 (Tuesday)
  • Day 4 - Part of Episode 3 and entirety of Episode 4, July 2nd 1986 (Wednesday)
  • Day 5 - Episode 5 up until end of the trial, July 3rd 1986 (Thursday)
  • Day 6 - Episode 5, the day after the trial, July 4th 1986 (Friday)

And yes you read right, Bigby and Nerissa parted their ways on the 4th of July. I'm not from the US but I assume it was a quieter one...

Anyway, I hope it was at least somewhat a semi-interesting read, it was fun for me trying to track down this info.
Hope you'll have a good day folks!

Comments

• So im guessing that it wasnt a coincidence because that seems really hard to just "happen" but knowing the game ends of the 4th f July kinda makes me wish there was some sort of reference, kinda just some artistic way of ending. All this drama ends on a rainy 4th of july.

• And yes you read right, Bigby and Nerissa parted their ways on the 4th of July

enter image description here

No but in all serious, pretty cool. That rain did not stop the fireworks or BBQs for Fabletown!!!

• edited August 2016

Look at the undying devotion of this person right here, Telltale, and be ashamed of yourself for grinding such people down repeatedly. Awesome find, Jack. Speaking of dates, I just had a look at my profile that made me realise today is my two year anniversary on this forum. The feels, man. :')

• Thanks for the kind words, and happy forum bday ;) I think mine is coming later this month, man the time is flyin'!

TheZorkij posted: »

Look at the undying devotion of this person right here, Telltale, and be ashamed of yourself for grinding such people down repeatedly. Aweso

Sign in to comment in this discussion.