S&M season 2, Win7 - unhappy together.

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Installing from the DVD goes fine. Files copy, start menu items are created, game asks me if I want to launch, children rejoice and then...

nothing.

It tells me to insert the game in the DVD drive. It's definitely in there. I've ejected and reinserted just to make sure several times. Rebooted too. Again, nothing.

Opening Windows Explorer now tells me that there's nothing in there. Autorun/play doesn't come up when I drop the disc in.

There's a whole lot of nothing going on.

Other discs load in the drive fine, for now.

Ideas?

Tim

Comments

• edited July 2009
    Now I'm just guessing but why don't you try playing with the downloaded versions instead of the cd version? So it won't matter if it detects the discs. Worth a shot! (also you mean the new win7?)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    tims wrote: »
    I

Other discs load in the drive fine, for now.

Ideas?

Tim

That's a strange one.
    Let's start with getting your system information.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible for us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.

Afterwards try whether the disc can be accessed and the games can be started after a clean boot.

Depending on you Operating System try one of these:

Msconfig for Windows XP:
    To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run the game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited July 2009
    The dxdiag results are attached.

Clean boot/no services or any version thereof resulted in the same error message, though it did display the disc in the drive. Interesting. Screenshot of that attached.

(P.S. wow... Win7 is offensively ugly when you turn off all themes...)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I had a similar case before.
    You two have something in common. You have similar DVD Drives.
    deadlinejon: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4163B
    tims: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4083N

It seems those drives don't work well with the securom copy protection.

Sad news is, that i haven't found a solution yet. At least i don't know if deadlinejon tried the firmware update.

I could not find anything about your drive at the LG website so far. Otherwise i would link you to a firmware update as well.

I assume that securom also blocks your access to the disc while booting normally, and is disabled in the clean boot, which makes the disc contents visible.

I guess it would work if you exchanged the drive, which is at least some kind of solution.

EDIT1: I just realized, that it is a notebook. Exchanging the drive might not be trivial/possible then :(

EDIT2: You can try the Lenovo system update tool. Maybe it will help in any way
  • edited July 2009
    You could also contact Securom directly here send them an analysis with their tool, and if they accept its your dvd drives, you should be able to get an unlock key or an unprotected exe.
  • edited August 2009
    Well, I got it to work. I did some hunting for updated firmware for that specific drive - neither LG nor IBM/Lenovo were at all helpful with updated stuff.

What I did find was a version of my firmware that would set it to RPC-1, basically setting it to region free. Since I couldn't find anything else at all, I gave it a try.

It worked.

Nothing else changed. No drivers, no reinstalls, nothing.

What's interesting is that the S&M Season 1 DVD worked just fine in the same drive on the same computer.

Anyone have any ideas they'd hang their hats on?

Thanks for the pointer to the firmware.

Tim
  • edited August 2009
    Windows 7 is not released yet nor is this OS supported. My guess is that you should not expect any official fixes at this point.
This discussion has been closed.