So, about that ending...

Okay, so there are so many plot holes. I really don't want to throw my Soren is an old builder theories out the window but seriously where is he?! My favorite character is just not here. His book is in Hadrian's palace, how did it get there? Obviously he had to meet him to do so. Same with the other books, he had to meet them to give them. Plot hole! Ivor at the end went to go see Harper I bet, I SHIP IT LIKE FED EX! So cute! Episode 8 was a half dinner, I wasn't satisfied, like why did they leave so many loose ends? Especially Soren, and even Magnus/Ellegaard and Gabriel. In that old builder world how does the respawn system work? Do all worlds have the potential to have it? I would feel full if they didn't leave any loose ends. Maybe a season 2? Thoughts guys?

Comments

• It's possible Soren wrote the Atlas, innit? He could of brought the Old Builders together but it doesn't mean he had to join them.

• Like so many loose ends, what about the people from sky city (Isa) or even Aiden and gang or Crown Mesa and even the Youtubers. RIP, full 360ing us. An ending is supposed to provide closure and answers not MORE questions. :(

• I dont really think there will be a season 2, I think the point of the ending is suppose to be "Adventures will continue" yada yada, but we wont be there anymore, and everyone was happy.

However, its poorly executed. It ends really lackluster, and if you say you're going to stop Ivor its even worst, the game just ends 2 seconds after choosing that option.

The real problem with it is how it just ends. It looks like it shouldnt end there. Theres no one last talk with characters, or anything. They say they are off to see the new town, which you'd think would be the next scene. The music is extremely default and background. Then out of no where, you think a new scene is loading, nope. Its over. Wrap it up, good night. Really just poorly exicuted.

• I felt kinda disappointed. I wanted and expected SO MUCH MORE from this! And then we get....THIS?! No offense a Telltale, but this ending is stupid. There are a million plot holes, and the Episode itself is so lackluster. I mean SPLEEF AND WALLS? Seriously?! I was expecting Hunger Games! A lot of people were expecting Hunger Games! There were a lot of things this ending to me did wrong.

A : The New Characters : The new characters in this seemed dumbed down literally and figuratively. I mean, they all have the same goal and I feel like none of them got enough screen time or focus on them in order to get a proper characters. Even the designs to me seemed dumbed down! Emily, to me, just looks kinda like a rip-off of Axel, and her design is not very good. Heck, real minecraft skins have more detail to me! All of the characters seemed forgetful, and I literally only remember Emily, Otto, and Hadrigan. Three people. Wow. And I literally watched the video three times about two hours ago.

B : No deaths : I know this sound stupid, but there are not deaths important to the plot. Which is usually a good thing in most games, but this ending needed something to grab our attention.Heck, Jesse kills people in order to win. The respawn system is never explained, and is never mentioned again. For once, I'd like to see a death in this game, it would at least make this more interest, but the only real plot related death we get is Hadrigan, and the fake-out death with two of the characters, but they all just get respawned. Hadrigan's comeuppance isn't even entertaining we all know what'll happen. This Telltale, should've been when emotion was at it's peak in the series, but nope, Lukas and Ivor just get revived! No reason, this could've been emotional and a big part of the plot, but nope! Just revived because plot-ex-machina and your running out of ideas and time for the rights to Minecraft.

C : The Ending : In TWD we had an amazing end to the Season 1, it was emotional, it was heartbreaking, but it also left us hankering for more, but this just seems..what the hell?.. compared to it. The ending feels genuinely rushed, and Ivor just takes off for no reason other than sequel baiting. Unlike in Tales from the Borderlands, where the ending is a mystery with some sort of adventure like in this, this just leaves you with an empty feeling in your stomach instead of wanting more. I mean, really? Was this the best you could do?

D : The Villain : I didn't like Hadrigan. I said it. I didn't like him. He was just a generic baddie, a guy wanting power and control and stopping at nothing to get it. The other episodes had similar cliches, but they hid it somewhat well. But here, you can guess every part of his plan, you can guess what he's doing here, you can even guess what he's going to do and when he apps going to do it. He's a generic upper-class guy who's controlling some other people to beat each other. Only remember to him for monologues and his design, which I'm pretty sure was the most detailed out of all of the other characters.

Rant over. Not quite actually, I still got a lot more but I'm not going Cinemasins right now.

• edited September 2016

The new characters in this seemed dumbed down literally and figuratively. I mean, they all have the same goal and I feel like none of them got enough screen time or focus on them in order to get a proper characters. Even the designs to me seemed dumbed down! Emily, to me, just looks kinda like a rip-off of Axel, and her design is not very good. Heck, real minecraft skins have more detail to me! All of the characters seemed forgetful, and I literally only remember Emily, Otto, and Hadrigan. Three people. Wow. And I literally watched the video three times about two hours ago.

Everyone is subject to their own opinions, and I personally think most of the characters had wonderful development. Through the whole episode, I didn't really know if Emily was completely untrustworthy or not. She'd have my trust, then she'd not, then she would again. It was cool to be surprised. See my response for Hadrian below. Mevia didn't get enough screentime to really show her true colors, but it was cool to have a person in the ep that spoke her mind and made me wanna punch someone. For Otto, it was nice to see a good person in the crowd of nasty bad guys, so it added some pizzaz and mixed it up a bit. The gladiators were only doing as they were told, so I don't blame them for having little character development; I liked them. There was some funny dialogue between them and Jesse and I really enjoyed that.

I know this sound stupid, but there are not deaths important to the plot. Which is usually a good thing in most games, but this ending needed something to grab our attention.Heck, Jesse kills people in order to win. The respawn system is never explained, and is never mentioned again. For once, I'd like to see a death in this game, it would at least make this more interest, but the only real plot related death we get is Hadrigan, and the fake-out death with two of the characters, but they all just get respawned. Hadrigan's comeuppance isn't even entertaining we all know what'll happen. This Telltale, should've been when emotion was at it's peak in the series, but nope, Lukas and Ivor just get revived! No reason, this could've been emotional and a big part of the plot, but nope! Just revived because plot-ex-machina and your running out of ideas and time for the rights to Minecraft.

Killing doesn't mean winning, nor an emotional conclusion to a series. And explaining the respawning system would probably be really complicated and uninteresting tbh. Look at the Atlas: it has a lot of power, and yet they don't explain how it works either. It doesn't matter to me, though. I'd rather play the plot than spend 10 minutes learning about how the respawning system works in the game. I do agree that death would've brought probably a more memorable finale, but I liked how it ended; it showed that people can change and come through for you if you give them a chance. I think that was heartwarming enough. Ivor/Petra and Lukas are really popular characters; it'd be really excessive and unnecessary to kill them 10 minutes into the episode, and a brief shock was good enough for me haha.

In TWD we had an amazing end to the Season 1, it was emotional, it was heartbreaking, but it also left us hankering for more, but this just seems..what the hell?.. compared to it. The ending feels genuinely rushed, and Ivor just takes off for no reason other than sequel baiting. Unlike in Tales from the Borderlands, where the ending is a mystery with some sort of adventure like in this, this just leaves you with an empty feeling in your stomach instead of wanting more. I mean, really? Was this the best you could do?

True, true, but I think it's unfair to compare Telltale's other games to Minecraft Story Mode. Keep in mind this is a kids' game as well, and killing off Reuben was flipping crazy as hell. The ending was a nice twist, because I think a lot of people were expecting someone to die (duh, it's a TELLTALE season finale), but in the end it was people who couldn't be more different coming together and overcoming things that are next to impossible. It was a valuable lesson for kids, teens, and adults alike. That made the ending satisfying for me.

I didn't like Hadrigan. I said it. I didn't like him. He was just a generic baddie, a guy wanting power and control and stopping at nothing to get it. The other episodes had similar cliches, but they hid it somewhat well. But here, you can guess every part of his plan, you can guess what he's doing here, you can even guess what he's going to do and when he apps going to do it. He's a generic upper-class guy who's controlling some other people to beat each other. Only remember to him for monologues and his design, which I'm pretty sure was the most detailed out of all of the other characters.

I agree with you that Hadrian seemed like the yo regular bad guy, but I like to look at the details. What makes Hadrian different from other baddies is that he used more than just power to stay in control - he used wit. Creating a fake heroine to inspire everyone to keep going in the games? It was pretty smart for him to anticipate people losing hope and turning against him, so he created fake hope to keep them inspired. I also think it was smart of him to strike deals with people to make the competition more exciting, and make his victims feel a step closer to winning, then take it away from them.

Overall, I really liked it; looking closer at the details can really change the way you see the finale.

I felt kinda disappointed. I wanted and expected SO MUCH MORE from this! And then we get....THIS?! No offense a Telltale, but this ending is

• The only part of the ending I was glad to see was the return of Axel and Olivia, though the initial meeting in Hadrian's Palace hit me like semi-truck.

• I like the ending if you choose "Eh, he'll be back."

• edited September 2016

I just wanted to know where Soren went, you find his books and Telltale's like well, we're not going to tell you! Me:?!??!!??!! I expected them to show us or something. I mean it was pretty obvious that he was an old builder but aparrently not? I still think he is one but they never mention it. That's really bugging me. The Finale felt shorter than the other episodes imo, I thought that it wouldn't end there as well because it felt unfinished. It made more questions than answers and aren't finales are supposed to give closure? This did none of that imo. I really expected more because all of the other episodes are awesome!

• As bad as Game of Thrones episode 6.

• edited September 2016

Still amazing for me thought, but disappointed about the Old Builders's DAR (Death And Respawn) System

Edit: Season two? Only time will tell...

As bad as Game of Thrones episode 6.

• edited September 2016

I found the ending okay-ish, but removing the threat of death in the last episode like that was a bad idea.

It didn't feel like a last episode. Episode 7 was much better on that regard. I really thought we would lose someone on Episode 7.

Episode 8 was kinda fun, and that's it. Which is fine for a regular episode, but not for the last one of the season.

Still not as bad as the last episodes of GoT or TWD S2. That's something I guess. A "meh" ending is still better than a rushed, badly-written ending that relies on shock value only because it is just riding the popularity bandwagon and has no redeeming qualities.

• You think that's a bad and unsatisfying ending? Honey, you haven't seen nothing yet. Tales and Wolf are just as unsatisfying and disappointing with their endings, and they're 1000x better as games than Minecraft: Story Mode will ever be. That right there is pure disappointment. Not to mention, much like MCSM, those 2 games will probably never receive a second season, so yeah, that's pretty shit.

• Both Tales and Wolf solved their own plot points, but left a hook for a possible second season. That's a fine way to end a season, in my book, but maybe you don't like this kind of hook and that's a completely valid opinion.

Minecraft didn't solve their own plot points. Soren's books were a good example of a Chekhov's gun that didn't go off.

You think that's a bad and unsatisfying ending? Honey, you haven't seen nothing yet. Tales and Wolf are just as unsatisfying and disappointi

• edited September 2016

Right, I thought it would amount to an important plot reveal or something but it didn't. That was utterly dissapointing. That's like the hugest plot hole there is in the game (never mind the respawn system). He just got scared and left during the Witherstorm arc, then we find clues hinting towards him and we thought that he'd show up obviously since it's the last episode, noope. Nothing, like he didn't return and he's still missing. All of those books and hints and stuff and for what?! Sorry, I'm thankful that it was good but I wanted Closure!

Abeille posted: »

Both Tales and Wolf solved their own plot points, but left a hook for a possible second season. That's a fine way to end a season, in my boo

Sign in to comment in this discussion.