Surfin' the Highway contents

edited July 2009 in Sam & Max
I had asked this question before, a while back, but no one had ever gotten back to me on said question. I was going to get Surfin' the Highway, but I had heard it been described as racy. I needed advice on whether or not to get the book.

I'm only 13 and I'm really worried that something in there make me lose all interest in Sam & Max. So, I'm basically just wondering if the content inside Surfin' the Highway is alright for a 13-year-old.

Thanks for your help,
-Evan

Comments

• edited July 2009
    I think it all depends on the level of maturity of the person, rather than the actual age. As for "Surfin' the Highway", yes, it is a little racy, but in a Sam and Max way. I highly doubt that any fan who has never read it before will lose all interest in the characters because of the eccentric and often inappropriate content. I've discovered the games before the reading the graphic novel and when I had a chance to read it from cover to cover, I still love the characters. In fact, it made me love them even more. If you have played the games and were able to handle the content, then I'd say you'll be able to handle "Surfin the Highway" :)
  • edited July 2009
    Hmm... I wouldn't really call it "racy". (Howard the Duck would be considered that.) It's more irrelevant and suggestive.

It has some cursing (b@stard and d4mn is the worse they would say, but no F bombs) on every other page, suggestive themes, some immature humor, and murder/suicide. Of course, you have your "wanton violence" but most (if not all) of it is either implied or shown off panel.

I still think it's one of the safest underground "irrelevant" comics you can pick up. It's not too offensive if you could take some language and have a healthy sense of humor. There's nothing inside that goes over PG-13.

You do need to know a lot about American pop culture of the 80-90s to fully enjoy all the references, but it is very funny even if you don't know.

But if you are still not sure if you should pick it up, stick with the cartoons. They are funny and pretty faithful to the spirit (just without the cursing).
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, I'm more concerned about 'suggestive' references than language and violence. I'll keep considering it.
  • edited July 2009
    Evan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm more concerned about 'suggestive' references than language and violence. I'll keep considering it.

Well, if you are thinking "sexually suggestive"...

There's talk about naked girls (Monkeys Violating the Heavenly Temple), implied bestiality (On the Road: Chapter 2), and a naked girl with a fawn (Beast From the Cereal Aisle). Other suggestive things are the pin-up of Archies' Betty and Veronica and the comic Belly of the Beast made me feel a bit "crawly" (so glad the guys killed the creep).

Seriously, I don't want to scare you away from the comics. Everything I mentioned is just suggestive. I call them, at the most, "eyebrow raisers" not "Oh jeez! I can't read this anymore!"
  • edited July 2009
    Actually, there's mention of girls in see-through robes, not naked girls. Not a big difference, but I didn't know what diaphonous meant until just now.

I can't think of any other sexual references. Except for Sam saying "getting-it-on" in the Skeptical Investigators comic.
  • edited July 2009
    Nah, you don't worry. Unless you know what actually they are talking about, you won't get it. Really. I didn't catch anything suggestive, and must be because of 1- I don't know what are they talking about (If there any sexual reference) or 2- I don't know what are they talking about either (Natural Spanish!)
  • edited July 2009
    It's way tamer than anything on TV or Google Image search.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited July 2009
    If you've played the games and like the humor, you will like the comics.
  • edited July 2009
    omg the comics are INSANE..love love love.. its how i found s&m..

they touch more along the lines of the original game than telltales or the saturday morning cartoon but..some of it was pretty.. edgy and i cant see how they could put it in games without offending lol
  • edited July 2009
    Yeah, have to agree with others. It has it's share of suggestive themes and violence, but nothing "radically insulting" a 13-year old couldn't read. :) (heck, TV shows a LOT worse these days.)
    (well, a name "Jesus" is being used a few times when baffling over something, I don't know how really religious people might react to that. Again, nothing too serious, but you'll never know how different people think of it. )

So yeah.. if you like the games, you'll definitely love the comic too. And even if it weren't as funny as the games to you, it's definitely a precious piece of gem that introduces you to the very origins of S&M. :D
  • edited July 2009
    I got the comic after the games, too, as a birthday present. I'm only a couple years older than you, but it still seems like the type of thing I would have been reading at 13, anyway.
    I agree that if you like the games, you'll definitely like the comic. The only comic that made me feel a bit uncomfortable was Belly of the Beast, but that one's near the end of the book, and it's not really so bad.
  • edited July 2009
    Hmmmm... never read the comics but hearing all this makes me kinda want to... and yes. From what you guys have said, there is A LOT worse out there.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks a lot for all of the answers.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.