Tales of Monkey Island not being able to start.

edited October 2009 in Game Support
Greetings!
I know there's loads of threads about people having problems with TOMI, and I have looked at almost all the posts with few exceptions, but im not sure im quite having the same problem, it does though seem like something like it.
I thought I would give it a shot and post my problem here, as this have really been a game I have looked forward to playing, it would really suck being forced to beg for a refund. :(

Well.. My story. I have purchased Tales of Monkey Island over Steam, but when I launch it, (Double click on the game in the My Games tab, click the shortcut on the desktop, click on the .exe, all's the same.), it just thinks for a second or two (Windows XP's hourglass), then throws the anoying "... has encountered a problem and needs to close" in my face.
Im not quite sure what part of the error message you want me to link, so if you could explain that to me, I would gladly post it, same goes with specs. I'll write my specs and dxdiag, if there's anything, just ask.

Windows XP Pro
Intel Core i7 920
ASUS P6T Deluxe
GeForce 8800GTX
3 x 1gb Corsair Dominator PC3-12800 DDR3 RAM

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XXY0QPU9

I have uploaded the full DxDiag on Megaupload, and I hope it will be useful.
In advance, thanks to anyone who looks at my problem, it would really be great if I could get it to work. :)

-Seizon

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I'll try to help, although i don't know if it being from steam makes a difference to other cases.
    I can fully understand that you open your own thread. You get seen better, and we all can follow the
    progress easier.
    I don't know what information your error message provides, but the more the merrier.
    As far as i've seen a refund would be no problem, if you decide that way.

1. Try redownloading it.

2. I don't know if that's possible with steam, but try if it works when you're disconnected from the internet.

3. Update Drivers and DirectX
    DirectX: Install the latest DirectX

Graphics Card: There are more recent drivers. Install those. It is listed twice with different resolutions. Do you have multiple displays?

Sound card: There are also two sound cards listed. Do you know anything about that?

One of them is the same as in this case, where it seemed to be the problem, with the exact same driver version:
    Driver Name: CM108.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0008.2012 (English)
    Date and Size: 1/4/2008 06:02:22, 1400832 bytes
    Install this one.

cd drives: You seem to have emulated cd drives. If they are caused by daemon tools, disable it.

Try the game now.

If that doesn't work there are plenty of asus drivers we can try. At that point i would try chipset and audio (seems to be for the second audio device, therefore doesn't concern the former audio update)-

I hope it helps. keep me posted about what you tried and in what order.
    It would help if you tried one step at a time, so we know which one solved the problem.
  • edited July 2009
    First of all, thanks alot for the speedy reply! Really appreciate it.
    Okay as for your questions. Yes, I run Dualview with two monitors. A 24" Samsung SyncMaster 245b and an old 19" on the side.
    As for the Audio. My motherboard of course has a soundcard, but im not using that for my audio. Im using a Steelseries USB Syberia headset, it comes with a seperate USB soundcard, so that is probably the one you are getting. :)

I have tried several times to re-download, without luck, I have also tried the internet thing, which I have read from the other threads, worked in some cases.

Tried disabling Daemon's virtual drives, no luck.
    DirectX is automaticly updated when you install it over steam, but I updated it manually just in case, without luck.
    I have tried disabling the internet, running Steam in Offline mode, didn't work either.
    Just updated my video-drivers, but sadly didn't work either. :(

Another thanks for helping me, I do really appreciate it.
  • edited July 2009
    I don't know if you can use it for anything, but the Error Signature is:
    AppName: monkeyisland101.exe AppVer: 2009.7.6.29797 ModName: fmodex.dll
    ModVer: 0.4.14.4 Offset: 000791bf
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    SeiZon wrote: »
    First of all, thanks alot for the speedy reply! Really appreciate it.
    Okay as for your questions. Yes, I run Dualview with two monitors. A 24" Samsung SyncMaster 245b and an old 19" on the side.
    As for the Audio. My motherboard of course has a soundcard, but im not using that for my audio. Im using a Steelseries USB Syberia headset, it comes with a seperate USB soundcard, so that is probably the one you are getting. :)

I have tried several times to re-download, without luck, I have also tried the internet thing, which I have read from the other threads, worked in some cases.

Tried disabling Daemon's virtual drives, no luck.
    DirectX is automaticly updated when you install it over steam, but I updated it manually just in case, without luck.
    I have tried disabling the internet, running Steam in Offline mode, didn't work either.
    Just updated my video-drivers, but sadly didn't work either. :(

Another thanks for helping me, I do really appreciate it.

You're welcome.
    Have you tried the CM108 driver i linked above for your USB headset? I didn't see you mentioning it.
    How about the Drivers from the ASUS website?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I don't know if you can use it for anything, but the Error Signature is:
    AppName: monkeyisland101.exe AppVer: 2009.7.6.29797 ModName: fmodex.dll
    ModVer: 0.4.14.4 Offset: 000791bf

Which seems to have to do with FMOD EX, which is an audio library. So far everything leads to your sound cards.

If the CM108 Driver does not work, try if it works when you unplug the USB headset, uninstall its drivers, and switch to the onboard sound.
    If it does we know more.
  • edited July 2009
    No, sorry. Seems like I missed the CM108 drivers. :) I am downloading as we speak, but the download site really sucks, so im not getting more than 8kb/s. I have tried googling the drivers, which leads me to alot of different russian sites, which all lead back to it. =) 20 minutes and counting. I sadly have to reboot in order to complete the driver uninstallation, so I can't even do that while I wait.
    Well. I will get back to you as soon as I got it done.

Sidenote: One of my friends, who has the exact same headset, who also uses steam, who has no problems.. But then again. I have always had some trouble with my soundcard/drivers. So wouldn't surprise me.
  • edited July 2009
    Strange though. Have never seen that FMOD-thing before though. Hmm.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    No, sorry. Seems like I missed the CM108 drivers. :) I am downloading as we speak, but the download site really sucks, so im not getting more than 8kb/s. [...]
    Sidenote: One of my friends, who has the exact same headset, who also uses steam, who has no problems.. But then again. I have always had some trouble with my soundcard/drivers. So wouldn't surprise me.

That speed has got to be really painful in this case :D
    It doesn't necessarily have to break his system as well. Has he tried ToMI with it? Would be interesting if there was a connection.
    Strange though. Have never seen that FMOD-thing before though. Hmm.
    I guess Telltale is using it for audio playback. Would be reasonable, because it's cross-platform. Nothing you would install for yourself.
  • edited July 2009
    Okay... I updated to the driver you gave me and... It f***ing worked! Im amazed! I really am!.. Holy bananas batman, you really deserve a medal! :D
    Yay! I can play the game! Really thrilled about it, and I can't wait to play it! You are the best! Thank you so very much!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Okay... I updated to the driver you gave me and... It f***ing worked! Im amazed! I really am!.. Holy bananas batman, you really deserve a medal! :D
    Yay! I can play the game! Really thrilled about it, and I can't wait to play it! You are the best! Thank you so very much!

I'm glad i could help. Now go and have fun playing :)
  • edited July 2009
    *runs off before making a last happy-dance*
  • edited July 2009
    Well! That was that! First chapter of the game done. Can't wait for the next. *rubs his hands*
  • edited October 2009
    Contributing with info that Steelseries USB Syberia Soundcard have indeed trouble with all the TOMI games. Haven't tried the fix in this post though, just unplugged the soundcard and played through my internal instead - worked like a charm.
  • edited October 2009
    Seems I have the same prob with my USB X-fi soundcard
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    nextnx wrote: »
    Seems I have the same prob with my USB X-fi soundcard

I don't know exactly which model you have, so have you tried installing the latest drivers from creative's support page?
This discussion has been closed.