TOMI issue, couldn't find a similar thread...

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Basically I bought TOMI from steam and downloaded it (not sure if that makes a difference, but I thought I'd mention it out of completeness). Whilst it was downloading my internet cut out a few times so I had to restart my PC and carry on from where it left off (again, just out of completeness) but it all seemed fine and installed like a dream.

BUT THEN.

I tried running the game and its pretty messed up. The options menus are extremely difficult to see, and it wont let me change the graphic quality. The game itself looks awful to, with textures not loading etc.

I'm using Windows XP home
Intel pentium 4
1G RAM
Radeon 7000 64MB graphics card.

I've got the latest drivers for everything. Anyone able to help?

Here are a couple of slightly scaled down pictures showing what I mean.

monkey1.jpg

monkey2.jpg

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    SlimmyG wrote: »
    Radeon 7000 64MB graphics card.
    [...]
    I've got the latest drivers for everything. Anyone able to help?

I am sorry to say that, but your graphics cards technology is about 8 years old and doesn't meet the minimum requirement of supporting DirectX 8.1.
    It only supports DirectX 7.

You might be able to find a replacement for a small price, so you can play the game on your PC. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, maybe even one of your friends has something suitable laying around from back then.

If you decide to replace it, I can help you with finding out what options you have.
  • edited July 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I am sorry to say that, but your graphics cards technology is about 8 years old and doesn't meet the minimum requirement of supporting DirectX 8.1.
    It only supports DirectX 7.

You should be able to pick up a fairly decent one for around £35-£45 in UK.
  • edited July 2009
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get it running on my mums laptop (Im pretty sure it will, I'll just get less chance to play it...)
    If not ill get a new graphics card. I dont play many PC games...
    again, thanks!
  • edited July 2009
    I had the exact same issue and my card supports DX 9c. It runs other Telltale games correctly, can't figure out what is wrong either.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    I had the exact same issue and my card supports DX 9c. It runs other Telltale games correctly, can't figure out what is wrong either.

We can try to find out if you give us some more detailed information on your system.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible for us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    i've just stuck an old geforce3 card into my pc, in place of an even older geforce2, in the hope that it would make tomi playable. the frame rate is vastly improved but i still have the problem demonstrated in the screenshots above. is a geforce3 too old for this game too? (i'm using the latest drivers for it from nvidia.com)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    hippy dave wrote: »
    i've just stuck an old geforce3 card into my pc, in place of an even older geforce2, in the hope that it would make tomi playable. the frame rate is vastly improved but i still have the problem demonstrated in the screenshots above. is a geforce3 too old for this game too? (i'm using the latest drivers for it from nvidia.com)
    Sadly the geforce3 only supports DirectX 8.0, not the required DirectX 8.1.

Those issues are even present in the geforce4 series and Radeon 9000 series, although they should support DirectX 8.1.

It's not easy with those old cards. Your chances are better if you try a card not older then 4-5 years, but you might have luck with olders as well.

I would look for a geforce fx/6, radeon x/hd or later.
  • edited August 2009
    ok, thanks for the quick reply :)
  • edited August 2009
    I am also having the exact same problem!! I have a vga on board graphics chip, a SiS 651,

and i have DirectX 9.0c?????????????????? What could the problem be?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Gimpy wrote: »
    I am also having the exact same problem!! I have a vga on board graphics chip, a SiS 651,

and i have DirectX 9.0c?????????????????? What could the problem be?

Your graphics chip also just supports DirectX 7. It is 6 years old, and has very low 3D performance. Therefore you probably would not be happy even if it would show the graphics correctly.
  • edited August 2009
    What about a ati radeon 9500 pro card? As i am sure i have onw over at my dad's house??
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Gimpy wrote: »
    What about a ati radeon 9500 pro card? As i am sure i have onw over at my dad's house??

You should give it a try. There have been similar problems with Old Radeons but i haven't seen anything about the radeon 9500 so far.

A main difference is that it is still supported by the most recent radeon Drivers, therefore you could be lucky.
    Just download and install them from amd. Try to uninstall your previous drivers before installing the new card though.
  • edited August 2009
    You should give it a try. There have been similar problems with Old Radeons but i haven't seen anything about the radeon 9500 so far.

A main difference is that it is still supported by the most recent radeon Drivers, therefore you could be lucky.
    Just download and install them from amd. Try to uninstall your previous drivers before installing the new card though.

Thanks for that mate. Will give it a go.
  • edited August 2009
    Sadly the geforce3 only supports DirectX 8.0, not the required DirectX 8.1.

Those issues are even present in the geforce4 series and Radeon 9000 series, although they should support DirectX 8.1.

It's not easy with those old cards. Your chances are better if you try a card not older then 4-5 years, but you might have luck with olders as well.

I would look for a geforce fx/6, radeon x/hd or later.

Yeah, I have one of those, a Geforce 4200 ti.
  • edited August 2009
    same problem here with GeForce TI4200 128MB, the funny thing is that I can run TOMI perfectly on my MacBook 2007 with an Intel GMA 950 which is a crappy integrated graphic card. Hope a patch will come cause I'm sure the Ti4200 is a much better Gfx card than the integrated one...
  • edited August 2009
    Probably, but it's still missing some required features so I wouldn't expect a patch. It's a really, really old card (7 years if I'm not mistaken) and well, you can't really blame TTG for not supporting something that old.
  • edited August 2009
    right I'm not blaming anyone, I'm just commenting that it seems to be a "maybe" stupid bug since it's affecting also some Radeon chip of the same year, I'm just supposing here of course.
    The card is really old right, probably any $30 geforce or radeon will work, I'm just giving pointers because reading the specs for the Ti4200 it says it supports DirectX 8.1 and Telltales says you just need a card supporting DirectX 8.1 so it could be misleading.
    Also, the game runs on my GMA 950 integrated graphic card, that doesn't have any hardware T&L or vertex shader that makes me think it can probably be a bug of some sort.

just my, maybe useful, two euro-cents :-)
  • edited August 2009
    ok I'm just digressing and basically doing the same comments of this thread: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9692
    sorry for duplicating it :)
This discussion has been closed.