"Bogey Man" Crashing on Startup

edited December 2010 in Game Support
As soon as the "title sign" pops up (after the Telltale/Aardman intro), the game crashes. Here is the crash info I get:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: WallaceGromit104.exe
Application Version: 2009.7.29.31075
Application Timestamp: 4a70ea59
Fault Module Name: igdumd32.dll
Fault Module Version: 7.15.10.1666
Fault Module Timestamp: 49a6effc
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002e3e20
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 9dde
Additional Information 2: d05bf0a6329507eaebcb7dc6a21ebc4f
Additional Information 3: 96ce
Additional Information 4: e55cef6f20abe128a45f8e846c601bc5

I am running Windows Vista 64-bit. I know it's not technicaly supported, but it ran the first 3 games just fine. I did the clean boot as described by Will here, which worked for the previous games, but no such luck this time. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    markeres wrote: »
    Fault Module Name: igdumd32.dll

Might have something to do with an intel graphics driver. Let me have a look.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible for us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited July 2009
    Here's the DxDiag info.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Here's the DxDiag info.

I don't know much about 64 bit Windows, but this just caught my attention.
    Card name: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 3100
    Driver Name: igdumd64.dll
    Driver Version: 7.15.0010.1666 (English)
    Driver Date/Size: 2/26/2009 19:46:40, 5541888 bytes

My guess is your system uses a 64 bit version of the driver, and the game calls a 32 bit version, which i assume is included in your installed driver.

Anyway, something seems to go wrong there, and although your graphics chip drivers appear to be quite recent you might want to install the most recent graphics chip drivers.

While at it, you can install the most recent audio drivers for your system.
  • edited July 2009
    The same thing happened to me (and I have Vista 64bit), but I just restarted the game to solve the issue.
  • edited July 2009
    It won't let me reinstall the driver, even though I've downloaded it directly from Intel's website and I'm running as an administrator. I get the error "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit.". HP doesn't have the latest driver. I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. :( Most of all, I don't understand why it's happening with only THIS game. I checked and "Muzzled" is still loading just fine... :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    It won't let me reinstall the driver, even though I've downloaded it directly from Intel's website and I'm running as an administrator. I get the error "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit.". HP doesn't have the latest driver. I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. :( Most of all, I don't understand why it's happening with only THIS game. I checked and "Muzzled" is still loading just fine... :confused:

Intel mentions a workaround for this issue, that enables you to install the driver anyway.

Did the sound driver work?
  • edited July 2009
    Well, I finally got it going simply by rolling back the driver to the previously installed version. I still have no idea why the game won't work with the most recent version. :confused:

Thanks for everyone's help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited July 2009
    Well, I finally got it going simply by rolling back the driver to the previously installed version. I still have no idea why the game won't work with the most recent version. :confused:

Thanks for everyone's help!

So if I understand you correctly the workaround didn't work either?

You're not the first one with that phenomenon.
    I am glad you found a solution, even though it's a strange one.
  • edited July 2009
    Something similar happened to me with an nVidia card: Old drivers work, newer don't. But Telltale claims that is not their problem, though for every other game (including Sam & Max and "Strong Bad") the latest drivers work ok. -<click for details>
  • edited August 2009
    Just a quick update on this. Attached is a picture of a graphical glitch I see every time I start up the game. This occurs at the exact same spot where the game was crashing with the newer version of the driver. Therefore, I assume that...whatever this is is what was making the game crash.
  • edited August 2009
    I get a Crash on Vista Ultimate SP2 32 bit

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: WallaceGromit104.exe
    Application Version: 2009.7.29.31074
    Application Timestamp: 4a70e8ba
    Fault Module Name: d3dx9_41.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a7a6
    Exception Code: c0000135
    Exception Offset: 00009cac
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 2057
    Additional Information 1: 9d13
    Additional Information 2: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
    Additional Information 3: 9d13
    Additional Information 4: 1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

ATI HD 4870 x2

Mine is the Steam Version

All the other 3 Eps Run fine
    Done File Checks and Cache Checks Re-downloads
    JUST WILL NOT LOAD
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    ATI HD 4870 x2

Mine is the Steam Version

All the other 3 Eps Run fine
    Done File Checks and Cache Checks Re-downloads
    JUST WILL NOT LOAD

You should try reinstalling DirectX and installing the latest drivers for your grahpics card.

If that doesn't help please provide the dxdiag Information as
    mentioned above.
  • edited March 2010
    I just installed "Bogey Man" from the collector's DVD (this is the first chance I'm getting), and this glitch is still present. I had expected that the glitch would have been worked out by the time the game was released on DVD. I am still completely unable to play the game unless I roll back my driver (which I shouldn't have to do). This is still the only Telltale game I've ever had a problem with and I've played them all. Is Telltale going to release a patch for this?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Is Telltale going to release a patch for this?

I wouldn't count on it.
    1. Integrated Graphics are not entirely supported by Telltale's games, especially most Intel models.
    2. Since it works with a different driver it is more likely a rarely occuring driver issue.

If the latest driver you can get from Intel directly doesn't work, your best option is to play the episode with your workaround until you buy a dedicated graphics card.
  • edited December 2010
    If anyone else has this problem (I'm currently experiencing it on both my 32 bit Win7 Netbook and my fairly beefy 64 bit Win7 desktop), I've copied my prefs.prop file from

C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\Telltale Games\Muzzled

to

C:\Users\USERNAME\My Documents\Telltale Games\Episode 4 - The Bogey Man

and overwritten the other prefs file that was in there. So far, I've been able to play the intro with no problems (not gone further yet). I also set compatibility to XP SP3

On my netbook I had to use my prefs file from The Last Resort
This discussion has been closed.