They'd better not give Rodrik/Asher the ******* treatment

edited December 2016 in Game Of Thrones

Seriously. One character could easily fill out the other's role throughout six episodes (or however long season 2 will be). It wouldn't take as much effort as they'd think. Killing both brothers off within a five-minute flashback or prologue just so the story can go in the direction the writers want it to go would be a grave insult. There's not much I could personally do besides never buying another Telltale product again, but I'd be willing to make that decision if it sends a clear message to the writers. Please don't get lazy on our favorite Forresters, Telltale. They deserve better.

enter image description here

Comments

• edited December 2016

(Just for the record, I don't mind so much how Kenny and Jane's stories ended. My concern is the possibility of Telltale taking the same approach with Rodrik/Asher, which wouldn't be appropriate for the characters at all.)

• I think it may be a bit different considering how both of them are playable characters. However, that's just me being optimistic. With what they did to Kenny/Jane, I wouldn't be surprised.

• I was going to start a thread about this, but you've made my job easier heheh.

Since the final episode of the first season of the game, I believe that both brothers will succumb to their injuries, while they didn't die in battle the aftermath could be fatal and severe, I mean they got stabbed and sliced several times during the battle. Season 2 of GoT could even be a WHOLE new House, we might not see the Forresters again given all the different possibilities you can end with.

• Rodrik with Sentinel/Traitor Royland and Talia.
    • Rodrik with Sentinel/Traitor Duncan and Talia.
    • Asher with Sentinel/Traitor Royland and Talia.
    • Asher with Sentinel/Traitor Duncan and Talia.
    • Asher with Gwyn and Talia.

That's a total of FIVE endings, the same as TWD S2 finale. If they were to continue the two-story arc then it'd be DOUBLE the number of episodes they are writing (12 if they continue with the 6-episode arc).

All endings will link to one new beginning. Just know we've lost all but two ALIVE Forresters (Talia and Ryon, depending on your choices).

If Telltale are working on continuing the Forrester storyline then I wouldn't be surprised if they kill off Rodrik or Asher, they're determinant and EVERYONE eventually gets the determinant fate to be made dead.

As much as I adore both brothers, the remaining will perish. But we could be surprised, Telltale could finally show some commitment and continue but I'll admit.. it isn't looking good.

Given that, I reckon we could see a new House in S2.

• I think whoever you saved will just be a side character in Season 2 rather than a playable one tbh. Same with Mira. I could easily see Gareth being the only returning playable character

• I edited your title a bit as that can be seen as a spoiler and since this is not the Walking Dead section we want to be extra careful with them. It probably wasn't that big of a deal, but hey, better safe than sorry.

I do agree with you though.

• edited December 2016

I honestly really hope Rodrik/Asher won't receive such a treatment...That would be a grave insult....

They have already proven that they can do Rodrik and Asher story individually in Episode 6, just continue doing that. Keep their scenes short, simple and meaningful, that is enough for me.

• Could possibly well be, or they'll be killed off.

Mira won't be a playable character in S2, whether she lived or died.. her model is erased from the title screen at the end.

If TT does the stupid thing of killing off R/A then I reckon we'll be seeing these playables;

Talia, Ryon, Malcolm, Gared.

And if a bold move came about, I would love to see Thorren (Ludd's third son) be a playable, imagine the story they could do on him!

I think whoever you saved will just be a side character in Season 2 rather than a playable one tbh. Same with Mira. I could easily see Gareth being the only returning playable character

• "They've more than proven themselves on the battlefield." - Gregor Forrester reference haha.

Yeah but I agree.. they have proven they can do those scenes, didn't we get like 30 minutes of Rodrik and Asher in the finale, that SURELY cannot be too difficult for TT to do, everything else in the finale was the same just the R/A scenes were different.

I sincerely hope they continue with them.. otherwise I won't be playing the game again and may distance myself from ALL of the games TT has made. Sad as it is, they better not screw this up for all our sake.

I honestly really hope Rodrik/Asher won't receive such a treatment...That would be a grave insult.... They have already proven that they

• Rodrik with Sentinel/Traitor Royland and Talia.
    Rodrik with Sentinel/Traitor Duncan and Talia.
    Asher with Sentinel/Traitor Royland and Talia.
    Asher with Sentinel/Traitor Duncan and Talia.
    Asher with Gwyn and Talia.
    That's a total of FIVE endings, the same as TWD S2 finale. If they were to continue the two-story arc then it'd be DOUBLE the number of episodes they are writing (12 if they continue with the 6-episode arc).

Not necessarily. If Telltale really wanted to avoid juggling that much material, they could simply write five variations of a prologue in S2 where Gwyn and the Sentinel/Traitor are killed off, leaving Rodrik/Asher and Talia as the sole survivors.

Telltale's success as a company has reached the point where they should be brave enough to keep a determinant character alive and playable past a single scene or episode. As I mentioned before, Rodrik/Asher can easily fill out each other's roles in the same narrative, and it would be a hideous waste to have them "Omided."

IR0NR4TH posted: »

I was going to start a thread about this, but you've made my job easier heheh. Since the final episode of the first season of the game, I

• I know I made a whole thread about the Kenny and Jane thing not being that bad, but this, this I agree with. When the determinant characters are the playable characters they better not just kill them off straight away. Telltale showed us they can make two completely different episodes for each brother with the finale, I doubt they'll do that for the whole season. If anything I feel like Talia will be playable since she's the only one who's presence isn't determinant at the end of episode 6. Honestly I'd be content if we had two different first episodes (Similar to the finale) depending on the brother, only for them to get Ethan'D at the end of the episode.

• Ethan'D that's brilliant and creative.

ItsMatty24 posted: »

I know I made a whole thread about the Kenny and Jane thing not being that bad, but this, this I agree with. When the determinant characters

• I think TellTale can make Rodrik and Asher live throughout the entire Season 2 they can replace the character model with Asher or Rodrik than have a few determinant scenes similar to Clementines Flashback scenes! Rodrik or Asher are costume swaps in Season 2 most likely.

• I had hope that they'd survive Season 2, but... The Walking Dead hasn't given me hope.

• If they really wanted to kill them off I feel like they would've done it in the final battle of episode 6.

• The brother you chose should survive till the last episode. Or at least the second last. If they die in the first or second episode i'm going to be raging on this forum.

• edited December 2016

In fairness though, Rodrik/Asher really, really shouldn't survive what happened to them in the finale, especially as Rodrik has already survived rather suspiciously once. If Rodrik can survive his pelvis being crushed by a 1 ton horse and a weeks-long journey with no water, food or medical attention AND being impaled and wounded gravely in other ways, he's basically superman and invincible, which would take away all tension for me at least, knowing he can survive anything.

I'm hoping that in episode 1 we play as them, and then subsequently our viewpoint with that group will be Talia.

Thankfully I think this is likely - I think they've been setting Talia up as a protagonist and it'd make narrative sense for the absent Ryon to be the heir and there needing to be a search for him, with Beskha teaching him to defend himself etc.

I know it can be annoying when determinant characters die, but we shouldn't let annoyance at other situations like this cloud our logic of this situation, as Rodrik and Asher really should be dead by now.

• Surely in all reasonable thinking they should die from their injuries though?

ewantu2 posted: »

The brother you chose should survive till the last episode. Or at least the second last. If they die in the first or second episode i'm going to be raging on this forum.

• edited December 2016

It's also possible Rodrik/Asher could be MIA for the first couple of episodes, allowing other PCs the chance to grow before they take their place in the spotlight again.

I just don't see why Telltale would have a conniption fit over bringing both characters back for a longer duration than five minutes. For crying out loud, BioWare kept two different versions of Commander Shepard on-hand (male and female) throughout all three games. Aside from a few minor differences in dialogue and relationships, their roles were exactly the same.

Flog61 posted: »

In fairness though, Rodrik/Asher really, really shouldn't survive what happened to them in the finale, especially as Rodrik has already surv

• After season 3, I have 0 hope for Asher and Rodrik living past a cheap 5 min scene.

Who knows, maybe instead their injuries will be so bad they are paralyzed and cant talk! See! That'd be great!

• Nah I think they proved that they can make PLAYABLE characters live in determinant scenes. However it's not hard because all they need to do is just a character model swap and audio file switch that's it! I wouldn't mind a few different scenes for Rodrik and Asher!

Poogers555 posted: »

After season 3, I have 0 hope for Asher and Rodrik living past a cheap 5 min scene. Who knows, maybe instead their injuries will be so bad they are paralyzed and cant talk! See! That'd be great!

• They probably will. In all fairness, the fact they didn't die from their wounds during the battle of Ironrath made no sense, seeing as the soldier, who was riding the horse they were on, died from an arrow to the shoulder, which wasn't nearly as severe as their wounds.

• Oh yeah this certainly sounds like a repeat of TWD S2 which means they'll probably just start with a completely new house.

I was going to start a thread about this, but you've made my job easier heheh. Since the final episode of the first season of the game, I

• I'm pretty sure he got shot in the neck, not the shoulder.

MichaelBP posted: »

They probably will. In all fairness, the fact they didn't die from their wounds during the battle of Ironrath made no sense, seeing as the s

• Okay, it wasn't the shoulder or the neck. It was the back. enter image description here

But still, how either Asher or Rodrik are still breathing after this, on top of everything else, is still beyond me.

• edited December 2016

I keep theorizing and wondering how they managed to survive that stab wound. The way I am imagining how it went down, they are both stabbed at the side of their lower chest. The lever section. Or the stab miraculously avoided all vital organs.

I think at this point, we have to keep remembering that Game of Thrones is still a fantasy setting and this is still a game. Even with realism, there are something we can allow ourselves to suspend our disbelief.

MichaelBP posted: »

Okay, it wasn't the shoulder or the neck. It was the back. But still, how either Asher or Rodrik are still breathing after this, on top of everything else, is still beyond me.

• Yeah, the kenny and jane scenes have me concerned of how season 2 is going to open up. I wouldn't be surprised if Telltale went this route again, but i hope they don't.

• I agree.

ItsMatty24 posted: »

I know I made a whole thread about the Kenny and Jane thing not being that bad, but this, this I agree with. When the determinant characters

• We thought the same thing about Kenny/Jane. "If they wanted to kill off both Kenny and Jane, then they both would of died in Ep 5"

AgentZ46 posted: »

If they really wanted to kill them off I feel like they would've done it in the final battle of episode 6.

• Kenny and Jane's different. It wasn't just about them. They had endings with choices that defined what kind of survivor Clementine is. Rodrik and Asher survived a huge battle and it was a miracle that they survived. To do that and have them simply bleed out just doesn't make sense.

We thought the same thing about Kenny/Jane. "If they wanted to kill off both Kenny and Jane, then they both would of died in Ep 5"

• Duncan and Royland could virtually be given the same roles just with different dialogue, if they were the Traitor, they'd probably be disliked by Talia and would have an apology for Asher/Rodrik.

As for Gwyn, she could play a similarly minor role but instead go back to her house during Episode 1 in an attempt to reason with her family.

Asher/Rodrik would really be their main problem, having to create new dialogue and scenes.

I'm still hoping that Mira plays a role if she lived.

• If they're worried about putting in too much effort with having Rodrik/Asher, they could just reduce the amount of playable characters to the survivor, Gared and another individual or two.

"They've more than proven themselves on the battlefield." - Gregor Forrester reference haha. Yeah but I agree.. they have proven they can

• I'm really in hope o Mira being alive and playable including Asher/Rodrik if given the chance but Mira Deserves more than getting kills din the first episode if that's telltale is going to do I wouldn't like that to happen to Mira or Asher/Rodrik can't we at least be more focus on this house including on the new house if that's where Season 2 is going? Sometimes I think we should get a house that understands more about be more political than war but knowing the Game Of Thrones there is always war in politics.

prink34320 posted: »

Duncan and Royland could virtually be given the same roles just with different dialogue, if they were the Traitor, they'd probably be dislik

• I'm gonna try be optimistic. Since no matter what at least one of them will live. With Kenny, and Jane, they both could be dead and gone from the story completely. Rodrik and Asher no matter what, will be alive at the end. So it could be as simple as switching their models for each scene involving them. Mira is the one people should afraid for.

• Knowing Telltale, I'm sure Rodrik/Asher are going to get the same treatment as Kenny/Jane. We'll probably get different Talya flashbacks in the first episode, where Rodrik falls from the horse and breaks his neck or Asher eats a spoiled apple and dies from poisoning or some shit like that.

• I really, really, really hope they don't try to pull this again. What happened with S3 happened. Fine. I'm willing to look past it, as long as they don't ever do that shit again. If they seriously try to get away with it again, or even THINK they can get away with it again, people are going to start calling them out on their shit even more than they already are. For your note about no longer buying their games, I'm inclined to agree-- if your message isn't getting across any other way, then you have to hit them were it hurts; their sales. It's the surefire way to make a company get their shit together, but it should be limited to being a last resort, when they simply aren't listening to anything or anyone else. And as much as I hate to say it, Telltale's on the fast track to making people feel that way. I'd rather they not have to suffer everything blowing up in their faces in order to finally learn their lesson.

On a more positive note, Rodrik looks like he's elbowing Asher in the face in that picture.

• I'm not trying to be a Telltale fanboy here, (though I probably am) but what you're suggesting seems really drastic. I'd be disappointed too but to go as far as to quit Telltale completely? I don't think I'd agree with that. I love GOT but I don't love it because of Asher & Rodrik.

Deltino posted: »

I really, really, really hope they don't try to pull this again. What happened with S3 happened. Fine. I'm willing to look past it, as long

• edited January 2017

It wouldn't be just because of Asher and Rodrik. If Telltale repeatedly treated major player choices from previous seasons as an irritation at best and an outright joke at worst, I'd quit too. Considering how story-driven a franchise like GoT is, respecting a player's decisions must be CRITICAL.

AgentZ46 posted: »

I'm not trying to be a Telltale fanboy here, (though I probably am) but what you're suggesting seems really drastic. I'd be disappointed too

Sign in to comment in this discussion.