Well that's just weird!

TeaTea
edited August 2009 in Game Support
For some impossibly strange reason that seems to have no justification or real cause my DVD drive breaks after inserting my lovely new Sam and Max Season One DVD.

I know Sam and Max is a Dual Layer DVD, it is a dual layer drive, but as far as I know no other Dual Layers have done this.

So what happens:
Sam and Max pops in, autorun pops up, explorer or autorun.exe does not run.
I cannot open D:\ in explorer or install the game, I am however able to watch the DVD in Media Player/VLC.

To fix it I have to uninstall the driver, reboot and check for hardware changes. But then if I place Sam and Max back in the drive, I need to uninstall, reboot, check. Again.

I have no idea what's doing this or how to stop it happening. It's incredibly strange. I really hope it's not copy protection, I already had one drive break completely after Starforce and SecuROM ganged up on it.

I don't think I have another Dual Layer DVD to test it with. But I'm sure I have one hiding somewhere (just name any movie or game and I'll probably have it).

Update: I can launch setup from the command line. Will install and see if I can actually play the game (IE: the stupid copy protection proves I own the game)

Update 2: The idiotic invention that is copy protection is letting me play. Still not sure why this is happening though, can't open anymore discs in explorer until I can be bothered to reboot.

Update 3: I just realised how impossible vague I was.
I'm on Windows 7 (although the same thing happend in Windows Vista the other day) and my DVD drive is "Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200A ATA"

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Have you tried loading up the disk on a different computer? It's possible that it could just be a faulty disk.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009
    Well I (quite painfully) tested the DVD in the spare XP computer (and damn was it heavy!) and it seemed to work fine. I haven't got a clue why it's doing it in this machine.

I guess this is out of your jurisdiction now?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Not necessarily, but it is out of my skillset. I'll pop it over to someone who know a bit more about these things.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009
    It's alright - flashed a new firmware and now it's just peachy - even reads much faster now too!

Thanks anyway :)

Reference:
    If anyone else is having a simillar problem I got my firmware here: http://www.sony-optiarc.us/en/support-service/downloads/fw_dvd-writer-ad-series.html

In my case I needed the AD-7200A (P-ATA) firmware. Make sure you download the right one. It's a simple program with a "FLASH!" button.
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009
    Wonderful. I turn on my PC this morning and it's happened again.
This discussion has been closed.