What is the big deal about Sam and Max?

edited August 2009 in Sam & Max
I came to this website because of the new Monkey Island game, and after having been here a while, I started getting curious about some of the other games these guys are selling.

Now, im already aware that Sam and Max has a big reputation before coming here, but i never understood why. Ive never played the original game, and i somehow missed out on seeing the cartoon series when it was on TV. I looked it up on Wikipedia, but somehow i get the feeling that it wasn't really going to do justice to it.

So can anyone tell me why this is so popular, and if i should buy the Wii games?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Better than me trying to explain it in so many words, try watching a few episodes on youtube or read The Big Sleep. That should give you a good impression.
  • edited August 2009
    It's hilarious, and the jokes are usually great. Plus, there's lagomorphs. Just play a demo or get the free copy of Abe Lincoln must die. See if you like it. Also, the TOMI treasure hunt hase coupon codes for games if you wanna use your PC.
  • edited August 2009
    Sam and Max, like monkey island and sbcg4ap, and maybe Bone(never played it) are laugh out loud funny, just go to youtube and watch sam and max episode 4 war song, and tell me that isnt funny. I kindof like you came to this website for a certain game(sbcg4ap) and came to love Sam and Max's funny work, and if you can't get the Pc version(like me), then I recomend the wii version(or the new xbla version.)
    EDIT: I found a link to the war song:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L2Gve7oh_4
  • edited August 2009
    Harald B wrote: »
    Better than me trying to explain it in so many words, try watching a few episodes on youtube or read The Big Sleep. That should give you a good impression.

That comic you linked me to was...slightly creepy.. :eek:
  • edited August 2009
    you've got nothing to lose by getting the free episode of the 1st season (as mentioned above).
  • edited August 2009
    how do i get this aforementioned free episode?
  • edited August 2009
    *cough* Abe Lincoln Must Die *cough*
  • edited August 2009
    I love Sam & Max, but it sure isn't for everyone. At least worth checking out, though.
  • edited August 2009
    If you have a twisted sense of humour, Sam & Max is for you!
  • edited August 2009
    SidGarcia wrote: »
    *cough* Abe Lincoln Must Die *cough*

...woah... its just there for the taking,and free? I dont have to DO anything? this sounds suspiciously too good to be true...
  • edited August 2009
    No, it's freeware. Has been for a while.

It's like a demo, but a whole episode long.

And I like Sam & Max because it's well written, funny, andI fell in love with the characters. Not... literally in love. Platonically.
  • edited August 2009
    RankoSao wrote: »
    So can anyone tell me why this is so popular, and if i should buy the Wii games?

WHAT? You've NEVER played any sam and max? you should get the free episode. Then season one. :D Then two. :D Then the old game. :D We need to get you educated. Sam and Max is great. If you don't mind slightly more adult humor than MI, then you'll like it. I think.
  • edited August 2009
    Well, Ive downloaded that free episode thing, and am currently watching episodes of the cartoon on youtube to learn more, thanks lots, everyone who responded to this! :D
  • edited August 2009
    Another factor is the puzzles, sam and max puzzles are kinda zany and outlandish in nature (sometimes random, only making sense after solving it - this aspect really comes into focus in S2)

Monkey island puzzles more often resort on vague connections and word plays to lightly convey a puzzles solution.

To sum it up...

Sam & Max puzzles: The craziest and most random solution possible.

Monkey island puzzles: The most convoluted and obscure solution possible.
  • edited August 2009
    The cartoon isn't that great in my opinion... but the game series sure as hell is. Just don't get the wii version.... it sucks.... hard.
  • edited August 2009
    If you like it, then run for the comics.
    They're what came first, and still the best i think.
  • edited August 2009
    The cartoon isn't that great in my opinion... but the game series sure as hell is. Just don't get the wii version.... it sucks.... hard.

That would be the version im going to get.
  • edited August 2009
    That would be the version im going to get.

It is horrible. So many flaws. I actually own that version, so I know from first hand experience. Sentences stop short, the wiimote doesn't work right (half of the time the damn cursor is flying everywhere) & the textures pretty much suck. If you have a 360 as well, I would strongly advise that you get the XBLA version instead. My assumption is that you are using the wii internet channel (been there done that) & that you don't have a computer. If I am mistaken & you have a computer, most definitely get the PC version. I mean that is what it was made for afterall.
  • edited August 2009
    I fell in love with them way back when Hit the road was released. Never even knew until recently there was a TV show. These games in particular are not for everyone as mentioned. Alot of newer gamers aren't use to these more story and puzzle driven video games. The amount of dialog sometimes turns them off. Just try the demo.
  • edited August 2009
    I fell in love with them way back when Hit the road was released. Never even knew until recently there was a TV show. These games in particular are not for everyone as mentioned. Alot of newer gamers aren't use to these more story and puzzle driven video games. The amount of dialog sometimes turns them off. Just try the demo.

I don't think he (she?) has a computer
  • edited August 2009
    It is horrible. So many flaws. I actually own that version, so I know from first hand experience. Sentences stop short, the wiimote doesn't work right (half of the time the damn cursor is flying everywhere) & the textures pretty much suck. If you have a 360 as well, I would strongly advise that you get the XBLA version instead. My assumption is that you are using the wii internet channel (been there done that) & that you don't have a computer. If I am mistaken & you have a computer, most definitely get the PC version. I mean that is what it was made for afterall.

I do not have, and am not interested in getting an Xbox. I have a computer, but since its available for the Wii, and i HAVE a Wii, i thought id get the Wii version.

Not only have i NOT had a gaming-capable computer until very recently, but it's been my experience that it's always been the PC games that have all the problems running, and if i wanted smooth gameplay, i had to use a console. Are you sure its THAT bad?
  • edited August 2009
    I don't think he (she?) has a computer

she :D
  • edited August 2009
    I do not have, and am not interested in getting an Xbox. I have a computer, but since its available for the Wii, and i HAVE a Wii, i thought id get the Wii version.

Not only have i NOT had a gaming-capable computer until very recently, but it's been my experience that it's always been the PC games that have all the problems running, and if i wanted smooth gameplay, i had to use a console. Are you sure its THAT bad?

Yep.... its pretty horrible.

The good news about the PC version is that you can actually adjust the settings in the game to make the images look less sharp (although I don't see much of a difference myself) & make the game run ALOT better (also been there & done that). Same with any Telltale game that I have ever played. I'm telling you, the PC version is the way to go.
  • edited August 2009

Are you totally sure you doesn't have the Wiimote cursor bad adjusted? I never read that kind of problem in any review.

Well, I'll recomend the PC version too (The PC Version has the Bonus of the Bonus DVD, also, you can buy one of the Eisner Celebration Packs and get the game with the comic (Or with something more) with a big discount ^^!), but if Abe Lincoln must die doesn't work too well in your Computer, screw us and get the Wii version.
  • edited August 2009
    I'd say if you have no other option get the wii version. I don't think its that bad. Its very playable and just as fun. Like Ginnyn said try the demo on your computer and if it doesn't work go get the wii version.
  • edited August 2009
    My computer is over 6 years old by now, and still runs Sam & Max like a dream. (even with sharp graphics, though it does tiny hiccups sometimes. That's why I like to use low settings, and they don't look half-bad either. )

Wii version does have some speed issues a little bit, but for me, it was still great experience. :) I was able to finish all the episodes with ease. (sometimes sentences get cut off a little bit from the end, true. And that's a bit of a bummer. As well as the low textures. There are many funny signs and posters scattered around the city! )

So yeah, I'd suggest you to try the free PC episode first, to see how the game runs on your computer. If it runs well, you should get the PC version. But the Wii one definitely isn't a bad deal either, aside from it's small problems. :)
  • edited August 2009
    GinnyN wrote: »
    Are you totally sure you doesn't have the Wiimote cursor bad adjusted? I never read that kind of problem in any review.

I never had a problem with any other game while using it (although I must admit that I hate the wiimote in general, I am more of a controller kinda guy). It just didn't work right... I don't know what else to say....
  • edited August 2009
    I have to say, im pleasantly surprised with how well the free episode is going, especially since i remember Portal lagging so badly that i could barely play it. I dunno if its just that this company is better at making games accessible for lesser PCs, or if i just did something wrong, but im enjoying myself so far
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, Sam & Max has much lower requirements than Portal. I could even play it on my laptop that could play nothing new.

Are you getting any skips when sound effects play during dialogue? I got those until I updated my drivers. Turning off the sound effects fixed it, but it turned out that some musical numbers, like the closing credits number at the end of the first season, were on that channel.
  • edited August 2009
    Nope, which is another thing this game has over Portal.. Man, and Portal was the one game i wanted to play MOST when i got my new comp... :(
  • edited August 2009
    All the episodes from the first season will run perfectly if the Free Episode runs well. The Second season has a bit more of requeriments, but you can download the demo to check out. If you have any problem, you can go to the support and ask for help. They are very nice even if you are playing just the demo ^^!
  • edited August 2009
    Portal runs fairly badly on my PC. Not bad enough for me to see the end of the game, however. Even more so with TF2, although it's still fun.

It's more of a case that point and click games have less things going on compared to (for example) Portal (especially after chamber 19). If you can get the first season Wii disc for cheap (I'm talking £10/$10-ish) then I recommend it, even with the shortcomings compared to the PC versions. That said, it's well worth picking up for the PC regardless of the price.

Talking of price, I'm considering complementing my Wii version of Season One (*que moaning about the quality and how I suck at choosing games*. Yeah, yeah, it was £10 new.) with the PC version of Season Two. Thanks to the (fairly) recent promotion involving the Telltale newsletter and Ice Station Santa, I was thinking about buying the season upgrade ($26). Then I spotted the softcover special for $30. So: quick question for those with Surfin' The Highway: is it worth the extra four bucks? (And, yes, that is $5 less than the standard, Surfin' The Highway-less full season. That's bad maths.)
  • edited August 2009
    You're asking that here, where a lot of people instantly picked it up for $20 or even $50 for the hardcover? Anyway: yes. $4 is a steal for those 195 pages of almost every Sam & Max comic ever (and some artwork).
  • TeaTea
    edited August 2009
    Found Sam and Max on Fox Kids over here years ago, loved it. I'd wake up early to catch it (it was on at 6am!!) - got me into the habit of early mornings (I love early mornings).

Found out about the games through the numerous references made in Monkey Island, and then I saw a copy of it in a second hand shop - I was very surprised. That game was the most hilarious thing I played, I'm so glad there's Telltale and the Episodic Sam and Max.

None of my friends can get into it (their sense of humour is limited to homosexuality jokes), but that's ok. I still love it.

Do what's already been suggested - get the free episode, or just buy the season. It's so very worth it. Max is the best character in the history of characters.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.