Can someone help me understand this?

Ok so I was skeptical about this series when it was Announced because I knew nothing about game of thrones so I just didn't bother to buy it when the new episodes came out but like all telltale games they become free so I tried the first episode I'm halfway in and it makes no sense. All I really understand it looks like there are two kinds of people and they are protecting thier "houses" but no idea what it means and what is the big deal about winter and it never coming sorry if this sounds stupid I'm a newbie to game of thrones.

Comments

• edited January 2017

Well it would be hard to tell you all that without dropping some major spoilers for the TV show, so if you want to watch that maybe don't read this. I'll try to give a spoiler-free description first.

There are several major houses in Westeros; the ones most important to the game right now are Stark (Honourable northern house, wolf sigil) and Lannister (western House, lion sigil), and their vassal houses Forrester, Bolton and Whitehill. House Lannister is in control of the Iron Throne, meaning they rule over the Seven Kingdoms (lands ruled by Stark, Tully, Lannister, Tyrell, Baratheon, Martell, Arryn, etc.). Trying to avoid spoilers, the Starks declare war on Lannisters to get revenge over a certain injustice, but things don't go as planned and the Starks are ambushed, which is where the game starts. You play as Gared Tuttle, squire to the Lord of House Forrester (a house more or less sworn to house Stark, and fighting for them in the war). You have to escape the ambush. The game is centered around House Forrester and it's fight to survive after it's force and lord is destroyed/killed at the ambush. So you play as multiple members of House Forrester. House Whitehill has an intact army and are old rivals of House Forrester, and they have the backing of the Boltons so yeah trouble there.

A house is basically a single blood-related family and their retainers, courtiers and armies. They hold a city, village and/or castle. A house can be sworn in service to another house (eg Forrester to Stark/Bolton). The last name is the house name. There are a few characters with the last name Snow; a Stark and a Bolton most importantly. This is the bastard name of the North, meaning they were born out of wedlock.

Winter is coming is the famous motto of House Stark. The Starks are the Northern lords (check out a map of Westeros) and so the words are a warning to remain vigilant in terms of winter. The seasons in Game of Thrones aren't the same; they don't run on any schedule, meaning devastating winter can come at random and last for years. So that's where those words come from. A second meaning is related to the coming of the White Walkers, but that isn't too important to the game right now.

Let me know if you want a spoilery discussion, or if some things aren't clear.

• edited January 2017

Hell, besides Batman i had no experience with any of the subjects that TellTale base their games on. I've pretty much played all of them now and the only one that made me try the source material was Tales From the Borderlands. I love the games, but i have no interest in checking out any other Walking Dead or Game of Thrones related material. A little off topic, sorry.

• I think that is the downside of having no experiences with Game of Thrones or the books. I can see why you are confused.

To make it slightly easier to understand the setting, world of Game of Thrones or rather the continent that the plot is focused on, is a medieval society. There are many noble families in every region and these noble families are generally called "Houses". And every house is ranked in tiers. Great Houses, Major Houses and minor houses. House Forrester is somewhere between Major and Minor.

Winter is repeated a lot over the course of the story, because the world is still a fantasy setting. A summer can last a decade and a winter can last a lifetime. In the story, the world have just experienced a decade of summer and many fears a long winter is approaching.

• That clears it up a little thanks :) I'll probably understand a little more as I play through it.

I think that is the downside of having no experiences with Game of Thrones or the books. I can see why you are confused. To make it sligh

• That helps I'm not really planing on watching the tv show like most telltale games I don't really play or watch the source.

Skel-a-King posted: »

Well it would be hard to tell you all that without dropping some major spoilers for the TV show, so if you want to watch that maybe don't re

Sign in to comment in this discussion.