Did the PC sytem requirements change between S&M 105 & 106?

edited August 2009 in Game Support
I have an Eee PC 1000HA that I've been using to play season one of Sam and Max on my lunch breaks at work. I played episodes 1-5 with no problems, well it was a little slow loading between locations, but that's to be expected on a low powered netbook.

Anyway, I finished 105, and clicked on 106 to finish off the season. The launcher loaded fine, I clicked "Launch Game," and all I got was a white box in the lower right hand side of the screen, taking up about 3/4 screen space. The bit of my desktop behind the box flickered. I let it sit there for a few seconds, and the audio started, it was choppy but there. It never did load correctly, never got the visual, just bad audio.

I uninstalled it, deleted the installer, downloaded from the website again, reinstalled it, and still have the same problem. I then tried it on my desktop at home last night, and it works fine. The only thing I can figure is that the system requirements changed between 105 & 106, otherwise I have no idea why five of the episodes would work perfectly fine, but the sixth one won't. I checked the posted system specs for 105 & 106, and the website says they are the same, however.

It's not a big deal, I'll just play 106 on my desktop. I'm just curious about what went wrong, since when I get around to buying season 2 I'd like to do the same thing, play it on my Eee PC on my lunch breaks.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Maybe try it in Windowed mode at lowest resolution?

I haven't tried Sam and Max S1 on my Eee PC 1000H but the first episode of SBCG4AP seemed to be OK.
  • edited August 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    Maybe try it in Windowed mode at lowest resolution?

I haven't tried Sam and Max S1 on my Eee PC 1000H but the first episode of SBCG4AP seemed to be OK.

I could give that a shot, although I don't think I can change the resolution from the launcher. Thanks, though.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Thespis wrote: »
    I could give that a shot, although I don't think I can change the resolution from the launcher. Thanks, though.

You could try replacing the prefs.prop in your installation directory with the one i attached. It's 800x600 and windowed.
    The directory should be somewhat like this, depending on whether you have the download or DVD version.
    "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Sam and Max - Season One\Episode 1 - Culture Shock Data"
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    You could try replacing the prefs.prop in your installation directory with the one i attached. It's 800x600 and windowed.
    The directory should be somewhat like this, depending on whether you have the download or DVD version.
    "C:\Program Files\Telltale Games\Sam and Max - Season One\Episode 1 - Culture Shock Data"

Cool, thanks.

I won't be able to try this out until I get home this evening, but I'll post if it works.

It still doesn't explain why I'm having problems with only one episode out of the entire season.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    As far as I know nothing changed between the two episodes. When you redownloaded the game, did you try clearing your temp internet files cache first?
  • edited August 2009
    The other way to get into windowed mode is Alt-Enter - but using that prefs.prop is probably easiest :)
  • edited August 2009
    Molokov wrote: »
    The other way to get into windowed mode is Alt-Enter - but using that prefs.prop is probably easiest :)

I know. I just hadn't thought to try it. It was the resolution part that I wasn't sure I could change without actually loading the game.

The file, by the way, did work. I guess it's the fullscreen mode that's the problem. It started fine in windowed mode. I don't think the resolution made a difference, because when I tried to switch to full screen mode it glitched on me again. I guess I'll have to play in windowed mode for 106.

Thanks all for the help. I got 201 as my free game from buying TMI. I think I'll download it to the Eee PC, and see how it does. I'm hoping I can play season 2 on the Eee.
  • edited August 2009
    Will wrote: »
    As far as I know nothing changed between the two episodes. When you redownloaded the game, did you try clearing your temp internet files cache first?

Oh Will, I did try this first last night, and I still had the same issue. One thing I didn't think of until after I had reinstalled it again was that maybe I should have deleted something that wasn't uninstalled automatically. (I didn't think to check to see if the game directory was still there after uninstalling.) I noticed that I never had to unlock the game again, even though I had uninstalled and reinstalled it, so I'm assuming there are some files, like the authentication, that don't get removed when uninstalling.

I didn't investigate any further in that direction, because I got it to work in windowed mode, and moved on to other things.
This discussion has been closed.