Anyone else think the game is actually better than the comics?

I love TWAU and was tired of waiting for a second season so I checked out the comics and they are really lackluster so far (read up to Issue 28).

The arcs (despite some having good ideas like the Reporter one) are too short and lack depth. The characters are all unlikable and Bigby is unrecognizable (and barely gets any focus).

The game was dark and gritty, felt mature while the comics feel more typical cheesy fantasy

Comments

• It's an unpopular opinion I think, but I'm on the same train as you are.

The comics and the game have completely differents atmospheres (which is why the statement "If you want season 2, read the comics" is so irritating to me) and almost everything that I loved about TWAU - the art style, the epic noir 80's vibe, the music, brilliant acting (last two are pretty obvious) is not present in the comics.

I have to say, I enjoyed the first couple of volumes when it was still at least reminiscent of detective noir comic, but then it takes a weird turn into something that can be simply described as ordinary drama with extraordinary characters.

To each their own, but for me The Wolf Among Us is far superior to its source content which makes it that much of a pain that it will never get a sequel it deserves.

• edited March 2017

Don't give up hope,lol. I'm still hoping we will get a second season as unrealistic as it may be at this point.

Yeah they have basically nothing that made the game great. It just turns into generic fantasy fast and loses the grounded/gritty elements completely

Thats why it would have been way better if Telltale did their own thing (without being restricted to comic book canon), its basically an alternative universe already.

• For me I played the game before the comics and I'm glad I did because it made me read the comics with a more open mind. That series is on my top five favorite comic book series too.

• I'm about halfway through the main Fables series. I haven't read the spinoffs (unless you count the TWAU comic) yet.

When I read several of the comics in one sitting, it feels like the story might be moving to quickly and there isn't sufficient time for the reader to really "get to know" the characters. I have to remind myself that these issues were released monthly, so the people who read it as it came out had a very different experience.

By contrast, TWAU paints an in-depth picture of the characters. Some of this is due to the medium (the characters in TWAU now have a voice and mannerisms that wouldn't be apparent in the comic). However, I think there is more to it.

Consider Colin. I really like Colin in TWAU. He is a great sounding board for Bigby. I was hoping to see more of that in Fables, but without going into spoilers, I don't have much of a sense of Colin in Fables. A few of Colin's characteristics can be observed in Fables, but I still feel like the character is bland and lacking compared to his TWAU counterpart.

I still think the Fables comic is an epic story overall, and I'm enjoying it. However, I believe that TWAU gave us richer characterizations.

• I agree. Plus the game made it so I can imagine their voices when i read their comic counterparts.

Gnatrat posted: »

I'm about halfway through the main Fables series. I haven't read the spinoffs (unless you count the TWAU comic) yet. When I read several

• It fun to finaly have this debate about a comic to game conversion. We've done so for years,with movies. This will be great to watch now wheres my snacks?

• if I remember correctly The game is supposed to be a prequel and take place 10 years before the events in the comics. that is why they are so different. They also have TWAU comics but they go into more back story for certain characters while going into details we didn't see in the game.

• I like both so it doesn't matter to be... but I do like to compare both comic variations and the game lol

if I remember correctly The game is supposed to be a prequel and take place 10 years before the events in the comics. that is why they are s

• No, not at all. As much as I love the game, its only a drop in the bucket to what you get with the comics.

• I love the main comics. Some of the spin-off titles are not very good, but nothing feels 'bad' in my opinion.

The main comics can be very dark and very gritty at times, but they employ a lot more humour and light-heartedness than the game does...

• I started in a similar situation. During the wait between first and second episode, I read the comics for pretty much the same reason. I do remember disliking Bigby's "wet dog" hairstyle in the comic compared to the game, and I can see why TTG changed it. However, I did like the Cinderella spy spin-off more than the original (on the other side of the coin, the Jack spin off was too weird for me, not my cup of tea). So I completely get where you're coming from. The arcs in the comics have been hit or miss with me.

On that note, if TWAU ever gets a season 2, I would love to play as Cinderella (or at least one of the playable characters). I forget where in the game, but we do see her face on a milk carton or something like that. I liked the little nod to her character, and I won't spoil anything, but just read her spin-off if you want to understand how awesomely she could fit into the game.

I remember some interview with Telltale's CEO (on the forums I think) where he said if he could choose a single franchise to turn into a game, no legal or otherwise strings attached, he'd choose James Bond. Well, Cindy in the Fables universe is pretty much James Bond; it would fit perfectly.

• I agree completely. I read the comics after I played the game. I absolutely loved the game and fell in love with the comics after the first couple detective style arcs. It's cool to find out that TWAU is actually a prequel to the comics series. I've also read the spin-off series about Jack and it's actually pretty good. I really get a better sense of who he is then with just playing the game or reading the main Fables series.

Gnatrat posted: »

I'm about halfway through the main Fables series. I haven't read the spinoffs (unless you count the TWAU comic) yet. When I read several

• I don't know if I'd say it's better, but the game is more fun then the comics purely because of the interaction that the medium provides. The tone of the game is dark and gritty with very little humor thrown in. The comics on the other hand a very dark at times but will shine some light-hearted moments of humor and romance.

• Guess it would depend on what you're after.

I love how they started with the whole detective-noir storyline of the first arc, and they slowly branched out to other storylines as they went along (with every arc, the stakes got bigger, and I was totally fine with that, but it is understandable if that is not to some people's liking).

Like HazzatheMan, I love the main series comics, most of the spin-off range from alright to entertaining, except for one spin-off (Jack of Fables, god I still hate that series).

Sign in to comment in this discussion.