Sam & Max resolutions

edited June 2007 in Game Support
Having tried the new version of the Bone games, I find that the resolutions available to me are 800x600, 1024x768 and 1600x1200. (I notice that there is also a gap between 1024x768 and 1600x1200 where perhaps there is meant to be another resolution that I can't select for whatever reason?)

When I play Sam & Max, I can only select 800x600 or 1024x768 but no higher - although there is an up arrow when I've selected 1024x768. Given that the new Bone versions are using the same engine, should I also be able to select 1600x1200 in Sam & Max?

Comments

• EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    The game offers you resolutions based on what your monitor can handle. That said, you should get the same options in both games.

I'll check in with the tech guys about this.
  • edited October 2006
    Thanks - my monitor is 1920x1200 and my video card (GeForce 7900GT) can handle resolutions up to and including that. My suspicion is that whatever the missing third resolution is in Bone, I also can't select that resolution in Sam & Max - but because Sam & Max makes you pass through lower resolutions to reach higher ones, I can't reach 1600x1200 either!
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, that's my hunch as well.
  • edited October 2006
    Do the games support widescreen, by the way?

--Erwin
    edited October 2006
    Neilka, did you actually try selecting 1600x1200 in Bone, and did it work?
    Do the games support widescreen, by the way?

Nope, sorry. One thing at a time! :D
  • edited October 2006
    Emily wrote: »
    Neilka, did you actually try selecting 1600x1200 in Bone, and did it work?

Yes, 1600x1200 works fine in The Great Cow Race.

Here's a screenshot of my options screen to show what I mean by a "missing" resolution:
    http://img45.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bonems6.jpg
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2006
    Your display probably is probably registering with directx that it doesn't support 1280x960 (that's the res that goes in that space).
  • edited October 2006
    Your display probably is probably registering with directx that it doesn't support 1280x960 (that's the res that goes in that space).

You're right - I can't select 1280x960 in my Windows display properties (the only 1280-width resolution is 1280x1024). So the real issue is that Sam & Max won't let me select 1600x1200 because I can't select 1280x960 first.

Telltale, is there a possibility of a fix/workaround for this - I'd love to play in the highest resolution possible!
  • edited November 2006
    Is there hope for support of refresh rates faster than 60hz?
  • edited November 2006
    Hi, i read that there's no widescreen at this point, but it would be really great if 1680x1050 would be supported at one point!

Great game btw!
    edited November 2006
    neilka wrote: »
    You're right - I can't select 1280x960 in my Windows display properties (the only 1280-width resolution is 1280x1024). So the real issue is that Sam & Max won't let me select 1600x1200 because I can't select 1280x960 first.

Telltale, is there a possibility of a fix/workaround for this - I'd love to play in the highest resolution possible!

This managed to slip through the cracks until yesterday, but someone is working on it!
    Pringler wrote:
    Hi, i read that there's no widescreen at this point, but it would be really great if 1680x1050 would be supported at one point!

It's something we've talked about a lot, so don't rule it out for eventual inclusion in the episodes. Don't hold your breath in the absolute near-term though.
  • CJMCJM
    edited November 2006
    Hey,

I'm having the same issue - most likely because I think I may have the same monitor (and similar gfx) as neilka. Adding a custom mode through the nvidia control panel app for 1280x960 allows you to select 1600x1200 in S&M. If it's the dell 2405FPW 24" monitor, 1280x960 should work fine on it anyways... But it would be nice for TT to test for all resolutions (or 1280x1024)...

--CJM
    edited November 2006
    It's not a matter of testing as much as its a matter of 1280x1024 being taller than a regular 4:3 resolution, which causes unforseen glitches in camera angles, the game interface, etc. Multiple aspect ratio support beyond 4:3 is being kicked around and will likely show up eventually, but we're going one step at a time (for instance, the Bone games were limited to 800x600 only until we updated them this weekend!)
  • edited November 2006
    CJM wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm having the same issue - most likely because I think I may have the same monitor (and similar gfx) as neilka. Adding a custom mode through the nvidia control panel app for 1280x960 allows you to select 1600x1200 in S&M. If it's the dell 2405FPW 24" monitor, 1280x960 should work fine on it anyways... But it would be nice for TT to test for all resolutions (or 1280x1024)...

--CJM

Thanks, I've just managed to use the same workaround. I was trying to add the custom 1280x960 resolution earlier but it wouldn't work, but with a bit of persistence I found I could do it using the "new style" nVidia control panel rather than the "old style" one. Now I can select 1600x1200 - time for some high resolution dog and rabbit hijinks!
  • edited November 2006
    You can add resolutions in the windows registry as well.
  • Sean ASean A Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2006
    ...and my monitor (a widescreen Samsung) can go all the way up to 1440x900. The game runs okay in 1024x768, but I'd really like a widescreen res, or a higher one.
  • CJMCJM
    edited November 2006
    Jake wrote: »
    It's not a matter of testing as much as its a matter of 1280x1024 being taller than a regular 4:3 resolution

My bad, I meant testing all possible (accepted, or all 4:3) game resolutions rather than giving up when one was found to be unsupported.

As for the ~4:3 part, it's still a bit of effort, but I'd be more than happy with a 4:3 viewport within my selected res (resulting in black bars and presumably odd-ish mouse movement)...

Of course, it could get quite annoying to click the little up and down arrows 20 or so times to get through all of the resolutions - and so you'd probably be looking into something a little bit more sophistocated than the current selection box.

--CJM
    edited November 2006
    Yes, we upped the ante from Bone and CSI's "no multiple resolution support" to "limited resolution support," but now that we've opened that particular box we likely won't be shutting it.
  • edited November 2006
    neilka wrote: »
    Thanks, I've just managed to use the same workaround. I was trying to add the custom 1280x960 resolution earlier but it wouldn't work, but with a bit of persistence I found I could do it using the "new style" nVidia control panel rather than the "old style" one. Now I can select 1600x1200 - time for some high resolution dog and rabbit hijinks!

Ah. Thanks for the interim solution! I'll update my nVidia drivers and give it a go tonight.
  • edited November 2006
    Perfect. That worked! Hopefully they'll change the way the display resolution is selected in the options. It's so much nicer now it fills the screen! :)
  • edited November 2006
    1280x1024 support would sure be nice. There are many, many LCD displays out here in the wild that are hardwired to that res, and "autoscale" any image size up to that. Worse, many (most?) video cards do not support forced resolutions -- via letterboxing or the like -- so the result is that the monitor is scaling an image in hardware. Like on my machine right now. Yuck! Jaggies and artifacts and texture mash, oh my! Bleagh!

I don't think that having a whack of resolutions in the config dialog box will be the bugbear you think. Most contemporary games have tons of resolutions available. I was just playing Company of Heroes the other day and it must have had about 30. So you have to scale through that list once. Big deal. It takes 20 seconds and then you're all done.

On behalf of the Sam & Max Admirers' Benevolent Society, we hereby respectfully "suggest" that you support more resolutions, or something nasty will happen to your 70s-era phone.

Pretty please?
  • edited November 2006
    That's why I still prefer a CRT monitor ;) Unfortunately mine is dying, so I'm looking for a good TFT. I have yet to decide whether it'll be wide-screen or not.

--Erwin
  • edited November 2006
    I'm having resolution problems with my configuration too.. all i get is:
    800x600
    1024x768

theres an up arrow, suggesting it supports higher resolutions but wont let me click it.

My video card is an nvidia 7950 gx2, and my monitor is a dell 24" flatpanel 2405FPW.

I tried creating a custom resolution inside the nvidia control panel, but im not really sure what im doing in there so i dont know if im doing it the right way.

any help would be great :) awesome game by the way, been a fan for a long time.

---- Edit ----

Oh nevermind, i made a typo in the custom resolution. its working now.
    if anyone else is having problems finding it, its under the nvidia control panel, then display, then "manage custom timings". you may have to turn on the advanced view for it to show up, not sure.
  • edited November 2006
    Heh, my 24" iMac running XP in Boot Camp was using 1600x1200 straight after I told it to, no dramas, whatsoever :)

Now I just wish there was some anti-aliasing or something to make the game look ...nicer, rather than simple? Finished it last night, in case anybody cares, and I loved it. 9.5/10 (with the 0.5 for lack of 'modern' graphics).

But yeah- 1600x1200 worked fine for me! :)
  • FloFlo
    edited January 2007
    I'd also prefer to have black bars at the top and bottom in exchange for a 1280x1024 option. My monitor doesn't scale up from 1280x960 so I'm stuck with 1024x768. I can add 1280x960 as a custom resolution but that results in artifacts at the bottom of the screen, even with the card doing the scaling.
  • edited January 2007
    Flo wrote: »
    I'd also prefer to have black bars at the top and bottom in exchange for a 1280x1024 option. My monitor doesn't scale up from 1280x960 so I'm stuck with 1024x768. I can add 1280x960 as a custom resolution but that results in artifacts at the bottom of the screen, even with the card doing the scaling.
    hey, I just posted the exact same scenario in my 1st post as well at the same time
    link
  • edited February 2007
    kendals wrote: »
    Heh, my 24" iMac running XP in Boot Camp was using 1600x1200 straight after I told it to, no dramas, whatsoever :)

Now I just wish there was some anti-aliasing or something to make the game look ...nicer, rather than simple? Finished it last night, in case anybody cares, and I loved it. 9.5/10 (with the 0.5 for lack of 'modern' graphics).

But yeah- 1600x1200 worked fine for me! :)

I use the Antialiasing controls in the NVidia control panel to force antialiasing and ansiotropic filtering on the proper exes -- it works great!

If you have an ATI card, I suspect that can also work if you mess with the Control Panel for it -- although, I don't know anything about those cards.

GS
  • edited February 2007
    If anyone knows how to do it with the ATI control panel, that'd be magic. :) Also, I can't seem to move the game window about in windowed mode; it automatically snaps back to its original position, which brings the bottom of the window
  • edited February 2007
    Thought I'd throw in my two cents here. I would love to see some more resolutions as well 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 to be specific (for those widescreens).

I ran episode one on my new PC (Nvidia 8800GTX) with 16QxAA and 16xAF and it was smooth as silk with awesome image quality, I just wish I could view it at the native resolution of my screen.
  • edited February 2007
    Throwing my name in the "widescreen resolutions please" hat. I'm one of those people with a 1280x1024 LCD.

Loving the games Telltale, but with how popular LCD's have gotten in the past few years, this is really one of those things that all modern PC games need to address. I hope you guys have a plan in store and this isn't one of those "uh oh, we designed all the assets/the engine strictly with 4:3 in mind, what do we do now?" problems.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2007
    Flo wrote: »

I just had the same experience. In case you're talking about Nvidia Control Panel what i did might be of help. I have a German interface though, but i'll try to translate the options.

I added a 1280x960 custom mode when i had the artifacts. What i had to do further was to change the "Extended Option"(translated)
    "Skaling Type"(translated) to "Centered"(translated) and set the "active horizontal/vertical pixels" to 1280x960 too.

I hope that helps anyone.
  • FloFlo
    edited March 2007
    That's interesting. I had misinterpreted that option and set it to 1280x1024 active pixels -- I assumed that it would center the 1280x960 in a 1280x1024 physical resolution, as my monitor won't accept 960 pixels horizontally. Reducing the active vertical pixels to 960 actually gave me an artifact-free image with black bars at the top and bottom.

Oddly enough though, the upscaled 1024x768 picture actually has a better old-school feel to it :p
  • edited April 2007
    Actually, for Nvidia users, the perfect solution is to use 'Adapter' scaling and set the 'Active Vertical Lines' to '960'. This will display 960 lines stretched across 1024 lines resulting in a full screen 1280x960 display stretched across a 1280x1024 resolution, thus resulting in no black bars and proper aspect ratio.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited April 2007
    oddbasket wrote: »
    This will display 960 lines stretched across 1024 lines resulting in a full screen 1280x960 display stretched across a 1280x1024 resolution, thus resulting in no black bars and proper aspect ratio.

Exactly, "in no [...] proper aspect ratio". How do you expect to get a 4:3 picture to 5:4 without black bars or cutting off?

I rather like an insignificantly smaller picture due to black bars than scaling from 960 rows to 1024.
  • edited June 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    This managed to slip through the cracks until yesterday, but someone is working on it!
    You've had over six months, and this still hasn't been fixed? I just bought the season one set today, and can't select resolutions above 1024*768, because my monitor doesn't support 1280*960. I would use the fix others have used, but nVidia control panel just says that it can't add the custom resolution. I'd like to get 1600*1200.

EDIT: Apparently the problem is just with episode 1, because episode 2 runs at 1600*1200. Still, in 6 months one could've expected you to fix episode 1 as well.
    edited June 2007
    Correct, this was caught right after episode 1 went out the door. It has been fixed in episode 1 as well, but we haven't deployed it to our site (it will be going up sometime in the next few weeks). One issue we ran into with putting out a game a month (in two different formats - once a month for gametap, once a month for our site) was that our engineers were very busy all the time, and rarely had time to package up even more builds of older episodes to release fixes, etc. We now have a person hired full-time whose sole job is to be a "build engineer," creating and managing builds, installers, updates, and assorted wizards and such, so hopefully this will be a smaller issue in the future!

Anyway, the version of episode 1 going out on the DVD to season subscribers has the resolution fix, as does the upcoming retail release, and the Steam release. Also, as said above, that fixed version will be up on our website in the near future as well, where people such as your self can grab it to upgrade.
  • edited June 2007
    Blehk, I still can't find a LCD monitor that I like. It has to have very high contrast, 1600x1200, 2ms response time, black casing, and preferably lots of controls. :) Widescreen would be good too, I guess. They probably make them, but I don't see the point in paying $1,000 just for an LCD that can do what my CRT can. :/
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited June 2007
    I'd love to have this one:
    http://www.tftshop.net/product_info.php?products_id=773
    But it's way out of my budget. Wait... What budget?
This discussion has been closed.