ToMI 102 does not start (not covered elsewhere)

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Hiya,

I've purchased the full season of Tales of Monkey Island. The first episode ran fine, but now that I downloaded the second one, I can't get it to start at all.

Unlike in other similar threads here, I don't even get the launcher - as soon as I double-click on the icon or exe file, I immediately get a message saying "MonkeyIsland102.exe has stopped working". There's no further information.

I've tried running the exe as admin, and in various compatibility modes. I've also tried cleaning up my temp folders as suggested in another thread. Finally, I've tried downloading the package from My Account on the website, and from the link in the e-mail notification (uninstalling and reinstalling), but it's always the same thing.

OS: Windows 7 RC (yeah, I know, not officially supported, but the first episode worked)

Anything else you need to know about my system?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    It doesn't work in Vista either, same error.
  • edited August 2009
    Never mind, turns out my issue was due to an over-zealous antivirus program. Disabling Deep Guard in F-Secure lets ToMI start up properly.
  • edited August 2009
    Hi
    Had huge problems with episode 1, suddenly it worked, and with this i fresh memory I started episode 2 with low optimisme. And "Dang" the laucher showed in a fraction of a sec. then nothing... nada.
    Ok my theory from last time was the that the actual unlock procedure was buggy, either on my side or the telltale server. So here is what I did:

1. rebooted the machine (always nice to start with fresh memory)
    2. disable internet, wired or wireless, check that there is no connection to www.taletalegames.com
    3. start the game, the launcher screen now displays and you can register the game. Use the unlock key from your personal download page at www.taletalegames.com. The unlock will fail due to no internet connection. remove the error dialog
    4. start your internet connection and press unlock again.
    Vupti the launcher was registered and displays the "launch game" button.

This time I think the installed game steals the previous registered email/password or serial number for episode 1 and automatically tries to unlock, which fails...

If you are in a loop where you uninstall and install again without succeeding try also to remove all entries in the registery under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TELLTALEGAMES this is where the unlock user info is stored, before reinstalling the game.

Cumbersome, hope Telltale will fix the problems with unlocking the game, but anyway now my episode 2 is working, and I cannot wait to dive into it. Good luck.

/Peter
  • jmmjmm
    edited August 2009
    Update your Antivirus, Firewall and any security related software.
    I had an issue with Episode 1 and it turned out to be a bug related to my firewall. Fortunately an update solving the problem was available (The firewall caused problems launching 32 bit processes on 64-bit OS on Vista and Win 7)
  • edited August 2009
    Just a heads-up for anyone with similar problems. I'm using Windows 7 RTM with the latest RC of Kaspersky antivirus. Kaspersky not only stops TMI EP2 from launching - it deletes the exe - necessitating a reinstall. Disabling Kaspersky stops this and the game works fine without it.
  • edited August 2009
    qvist wrote: »
    Hi
    Had huge problems with episode 1, suddenly it worked, and with this i fresh memory I started episode 2 with low optimisme. And "Dang" the laucher showed in a fraction of a sec. then nothing... nada.
    Ok my theory from last time was the that the actual unlock procedure was buggy, either on my side or the telltale server. So here is what I did:

1. rebooted the machine (always nice to start with fresh memory)
    2. disable internet, wired or wireless, check that there is no connection to www.taletalegames.com
    3. start the game, the launcher screen now displays and you can register the game. Use the unlock key from your personal download page at www.taletalegames.com. The unlock will fail due to no internet connection. remove the error dialog
    4. start your internet connection and press unlock again.
    Vupti the launcher was registered and displays the "launch game" button.

This time I think the installed game steals the previous registered email/password or serial number for episode 1 and automatically tries to unlock, which fails...

If you are in a loop where you uninstall and install again without succeeding try also to remove all entries in the registery under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TELLTALEGAMES this is where the unlock user info is stored, before reinstalling the game.

Cumbersome, hope Telltale will fix the problems with unlocking the game, but anyway now my episode 2 is working, and I cannot wait to dive into it. Good luck.

/Peter

XP SP3, Catalyst 9.8. Whoppy!!
This discussion has been closed.