TOMI Download Problems

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Hi there,

i'm not able to download the second episode of TOMI. The download stops whenever it reaches 5.3MB. I had the same problem with the first episode (kicked me out at around 10MB), but since the demo is available on other mirrors too, i was able to get it elsewhere. The problem occures on WinXP with Firefox 3 and IE 8, doesen't make any difference.

I do live in Germany, but this shouldn't be a point, right?

Thanks

Thomas

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Maybe some (security) software interfering with the download?

You can test it by making a clean boot and trying again.

Msconfig for Windows XP:
    To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, try the download again

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited August 2009
    I have the same problem. I reloaded clean and I still can't download the whole file. :mad: I need help!
  • edited August 2009
    unfortunately this didn't do the trick.

i've been to my parents house and was able to download the whole file there. I gues i will see them more often than usual during the next months ;)

@BadtzMaroo: Are you limited to an fixed amount of Bytes also?
  • edited August 2009
    Try to use a downloadmanager like FDM... Aside from letting you resume an interrupted download, it should also give you more information on why a download stopped.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    My imagination is challenged trying to understand why that happens
    - It always stops at a certain point (that's why i was considering security software interfering at that point)
    - It happens in two independent browsers

If you are interested in debugging it we could try some things.
    First thing I would do is starting the system from a live cd, such as ubuntu or knoppix, and try if the download works then.
    If it does the problem is narrowed down to your operating systems configuration.

Further:
    What is your Internet Provider?
    What kind of connection do you have?
    Do your connections go through a proxy server?
  • edited August 2009
    it's almost definitely some kind of cache corruption... let's look at the possible caching points:

Download server -> server cache -> download accelerator provider cache -> remote download accelerator cache -> provider transparent proxy cache -> local transparent proxy cache -> local download accelerator cache -> browser cache

We can pretty much rule out the download server and it's cache since we'd be seen far more issues if that were the case. Also, we can rule out the browser cache because of his tests. That leaves us mainly with three points of failure.

The provider uses a transparent caching proxy. Some providers do that... if that's the case it should clear itself up within a couple hours, since no self-respecting caching proxy buffers data forever without revalidating.

Local transparent proxy. Are you at school/university/work? Such networks have their own caching and in that case it's probably easiest to just ask the guy responsible to refresh the cache or go somewhere else if you don't want to remind him what you're downloading.

Download accelerators. These programs try to increase your network speed by adding both local and remote buffering. They work to a certain degree for small files, but for larger files, usually all they do is add overhead. If you have anything like that running, disable it.
  • edited August 2009
    At first i would like to thank you for help. I'm currently downloading the file using fdm. I've already reached 26%, so i it seems to work. In the logs i can see several entries like "no reply from the server" followed by "resume".

I've moved to my new flat a few days ago an my provider (1&1) will plug me in on tuesday next week. At the moment i'm using an internet USB stick which uses the EPlus net, which is limited to 40kB/s (UMTS). I downloaded the special edition of MI1 (~2GB) via this connection also without any problems.

I do have a few other machines running Ubuntu, Mandriva and OpenBSD. If it his helpfull, i can try to download the file with the ones running Linux (OpenBSD will not work with the Internet-stick, but i can try it when i have a real connection).

Thanks a lot
    Thomas
  • edited August 2009
    forgot to mention that i don't go through a proxy, but i've also tried this -> same Result
  • edited August 2009
    Steam has its own built-in download manager that resumes automatically, much like FDM.
    Since you're downloading via UMTS I'd say that you probably triggered some "bandwidth abuse" logic that drops the connection.
  • edited August 2009
    I use Embarq DSL from home. I tried using GetRight and FDM to download and it will download to about 80% and then slow WAYYYY down. I have FDM on for two days and the best it can do is 92%. I guess I will keep it on and see what happens.

I tried downloading to my desktop and laptop with the same result.

This is so frustrating. I emailed tech support and have not heard anything.

:mad:
  • edited August 2009
    After some time the link may become invalid, so that FDM can't request any new connections. Try the following:

Install FlashGot for Firefox.
    Start the download
    When it slows down, pause it
    Try to start a new download, but don't hit OK. Just copy the URL shown by FDM and cancel.
    Open the properties of your paused download.
    Replace the location with the new one.
    Resume.
  • edited August 2009
    I tried to refresh the link over and over and over and over. I am now at 95% download and I am at a dead stop.
  • edited August 2009
    Game support replied and said I should see if I have enough space on my drive. I have over 60 gigs left.

They gave me the direct download link, which I had already.

Why can't they just send me a CD? I paid for the whole season!

ARGHHHHHHHH!
  • edited August 2009
    BadtzMaroo wrote: »
    Why can't they just send me a CD? I paid for the whole season!

Because they haven't made it yet. Unless you want someone to put the installer on a CD and sent to you?
  • edited August 2009
    BadtzMaroo & UML0.0, I'll just put the file on my server and send you the link. Others with problems can ask for the link too, I just don't have enough bandwidth to make the link public.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I tried to refresh the link over and over and over and over. I am now at 95% download and I am at a dead stop.

Does the same thing happen for both ToMI Chapters, or only the second? How about the sam & max demos?

Do you have similar problems with other downloads?

Have you tried the clean boot mentioned above?

Have you tried it without any external download manager, just with a different browser?
  • edited August 2009
    Upload done. You can start downloading from the link I sent you via PM.
  • edited August 2009
    hi there,

by today i got my 16Mb/s connection back and i'm able to download the file in no time. Again thanks to everyone.:)
  • edited August 2009
    Upload done. You can start downloading from the link I sent you via PM.

I was able to download the file from your mirror. I had to keep restarting the download but it worked eventually.

Thank you. You are a God amongst men. ;)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I was able to download the file from your mirror. I had to keep restarting the download but it worked eventually.

That still sounds less than ideal.
    I would suggest you to analyze the problem. If you have the same problem on your desktop and laptop, no matter where you download from, something is wrong with your connection.

Have you tried restarting your entire network hardware (modem/router/...)?
  • edited August 2009
    I have not tried restarting my modem and router. I will do that next and see if I can download it again.
This discussion has been closed.