Yet another ToMI-not-working thread [I'm REALLY pissed off]

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Like many of the other posters here, I paid for the whole season soon after it was announced. I did it because my previous experience with Telltale was generally good -- I never had any technical difficulties with your games, website or payment system, and I got the impression you really care about your customers. The release of episode 1 generally maintained this impression.
However, for the past few hours I've been trying every way I could think of to run episode 2, and none worked. It always crashes right after I click the Launch Game button. Other games still work perfectly. Episode 1 still works perfectly. No, I cannot install ATI Catalyst 9.8, since my laptop's ATI graphics card is too old and thus not supported by this driver.
The release was set for a Thursday -- I don't know if it means you won't be attending this problem (and many others, as much as I gather from browsing these forums) over the weekend, but I'm not too optimistic. Yes, I know you want to release early, we want it too. But the lucky ones who got the game to work got a rushed product, and the less fortunate (like me) got absolutely nothing at all.
I can hardly find words to express how angry I am. In all sincerity, the last thing I wish to do right now is to ever pay for one of your games. If this is what I get for my money, I'd rather give it to another game maker, hopefully with a better QA process.

By the way, to add insult to injury, a friend of mine who downloaded episode 2 in less legally legitimate ways had it running fine from the beginning. I guess no good deed goes unpunished.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Does your friend have exactly the same system with exactly the same drivers and exactly same specs?

I played it on both my pc and my laptop without any trouble (both running winXP).
  • edited August 2009
    Of course not. I'm just mentioning that someone who did not give a penny got a better playing experience than me, a paying customer with a perfectly fine hardware setup (as evidenced by the fact that all the other TTG games I have work, including the previous episode). It hardly makes me happy, as you can see.
  • TimTim
    edited August 2009
    giraffe wrote: »
    Of course not. I'm just mentioning that someone who did not give a penny got a better playing experience than me, a paying customer with a perfectly fine hardware setup (as evidenced by the fact that all the other TTG games I have work, including the previous episode). It hardly makes me happy, as you can see.

Have you checked the logs so you can provide the support team with any additional information? If not, could you do so, and post any information available.

And it is fair to assume that the copy your friend has gotten hold off, has probably been tinkered with to remove certain home-calling & security features built in by Telltale. This is surely illegal to discuss here, but thought I might mention it for sake of completeness.
  • edited August 2009
    Which logs?
  • TimTim
    edited August 2009
    giraffe wrote: »
    Which logs?

Assuming you're running Windows, there's an application which keeps track of all logs for you called Event Viewer. Normally this should be accessible from either 'Start > Programmes > Utilies > Logs' or from the control panel.

If you are having trouble finding it, try Start > Run, 'eventvwr.msc' as application name, and run. In Vista, just type 'eventvwr.msc' in the search box in the start menu.

In the event viewer, you should be able to navigate to application crashes, and see if you can find any information available. Additionally, have to mention that there might be no information for this specific problem, but it can't hurt to check.
  • edited August 2009
    There's nothing about it there. It's not a segfault, just an unhandled exception.
  • edited August 2009
    Have you tried the suggestions in the below thread (redownload from My Games, change colour depth before launching, etc)?

http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11458
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, I tried all those.
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Have you written to support@telltalegames.com? We've got a fair number of people here who can try and help you out.
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, I have.
This discussion has been closed.