Problem with Tales of Monkey Island

edited December 2009 in Game Support
Hi

I have just downloaded ToMI chapters 1 and 2 ... I haven't yet tried chapter 2, but I can't get chapter 1 to work. I've tried a load of suggestions from the other threads but nothing seems to be making any difference.

Basically, I launch the game, nothing happens for a minute or two, then I get a black screen for about 3 or 4 minutes. The lucasarts/telltale screen comes up, and at the bottom is a whole bunch of brown and green squares. The menu screen comes up, and I can see the right hand side (which says monkey island etc) fine, but the left hand side, which I assume must be text like load game is brown and green squares. I also have no mouse cursor once it gets past the black screen, but if you move the mouse about enough the squares get bigger (must be when the mouse is pointing to them) I managed to start the game once by clicking away like this, but graphics were painfully slow and a page full of those brown and green squares reappeared at which point I couldn't get any further.

My drivers are all up to date, please help!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• edited August 2009
    Here's a screenshot of the problem
  • edited August 2009
    oops, it didnt attach
  • edited August 2009
    Just incase anyone else has this problem, I've now sorted it. Copied everything to external hard drive, formatted my laptop and reinstalled drivers and it appears to be working now
  • edited September 2009
    I'm having this problem too, but is there a way to solve it that doesn't involve reformatting my laptop? I don't own an external hard drive and even if I did, that seems kind of excessive.
  • edited September 2009
    I am having the same problem, I really do not want to reformat my laptop for this, someone please help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    So you are all Laptop users?
    Please tell me the Manufacturer and exact Model.

Further please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited September 2009
    My laptop is crappy but I figured I'd be able to run ToMI. I've had graphical problems with games before due to the integrated graphics on my latop.

Here's my DXDiag...

http://www.filedropper.com/dxdiag_2
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    StaticChu wrote: »
    My laptop is crappy but I figured I'd be able to run ToMI. I've had graphical problems with games before due to the integrated graphics on my latop.

This looks promising.

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 6/29/2007 11:15:18, 2363392 bytes

Some old graphics driver, probably the reason for the problem.
    Please download and install the latest Intel GMA 965 Driver
    Description: Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)
    Date and Size: 11/2/2006 05:06:49, 235520 bytes

I would also suggest that you install the latest Realtek HDA driver.
  • edited September 2009
    Thx for the advice!

I actually just got the game to work by downloading a prefs file you uploaded in another thread, the 800x600 windowed quality 1 prefs file. Game is running OK so far, no more green and brown square blotches where text should be and the fps is gone way up.

I'll get the new drivers and post back if it worked to get the game running on a better quality.
  • edited September 2009
    I can't run the intel driver's installation; it tells me I need to go to my computer's manufacturer (dell) and I found the same driver as what the first guy listed.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    mremaknu wrote: »
    I can't run the intel driver's installation; it tells me I need to go to my computer's manufacturer (dell) and I found the same driver as what the first guy listed.

That was a solution for StaticChu.

You did not answer my questions so i don't know anything about your system.
  • edited September 2009
    StaticChu wrote: »
    Thx for the advice!

I actually just got the game to work by downloading a prefs file you uploaded in another thread, the 800x600 windowed quality 1 prefs file. Game is running OK so far, no more green and brown square blotches where text should be and the fps is gone way up.

I'll get the new drivers and post back if it worked to get the game running on a better quality.

Sorry mate. can u tell em where did u get that 800x600 file to make the game work.
    i getting desesperated.
    cheers
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    gachupian wrote: »
    Sorry mate. can u tell em where did u get that 800x600 file to make the game work.
    i getting desesperated.
    cheers

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download this prefs.prop.
    It has a 800x600 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

In "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.
  • edited October 2009
    I have the same problem!! I tried the prefs file and it didn't work... I've attached my zipped dxdiag... what do I have to do?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I have the same problem!! I tried the prefs file and it didn't work... I've attached my zipped dxdiag... what do I have to do?

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
    Driver Date/Size: 5/8/2007 17:55:22, 2363392 bytes

Try updating to the latest Graphics Driver for your system.
  • edited November 2009
    Hi, i have downloaded this game but it doesn't run om my PC. It starts and i get logo Disclaimer and sound then the screen stays black but i van see the green cursor..i have latest direct X and my all drivers are updated... I have P4 1.8Ghz processor, 80GB Hard disk...1GB RAM and 64 MB Intel chipset 82845G grapics card.
    I would love love to play this game. Can you help me please..
    Thanks..

Reply soon please!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Sameer0007 wrote: »
    Reply soon please!
    How long do you wait when it stays black?
    Have you tried different Episodes?

Also please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited November 2009
    i Usually for 5 mins and yes same goes for chap 1. u think o should wait for long? And here's my DxDiag
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Please run the DirectX updater. The File Dates in your dxdiag are horribly old.

If it doesn't find any updates, run the full DirectX installer.
  • edited November 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »

ok bt is my Graphics card compatible?
  • edited November 2009

Still nothing new DXDiag
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Still nothing new DXDiag

That's strange. It looks like the DirectX didn't get updated. I don't know how that comes, but i think it is another problem.
    Btw. you might want to install the XP Service Pack 3 and other updates.

As for the graphics chip i would say it might be problematic. Some Intel graphics chips don't seem to work well with these games. I think even if it did it would be unusable slow.

You might have to play on a different computer, upgrade yours, or get a refund.
  • edited November 2009
    That's strange. It looks like the DirectX didn't get updated. I don't know how that comes, but i think it is another problem.
    Btw. you might want to install the XP Service Pack 3 and other updates.

As for the graphics chip i would say it might be problematic. Some Intel graphics chips don't seem to work well with these games. I think even if it did it would be unusable slow.

You might have to play on a different computer, upgrade yours, or get a refund.

Ok thanks for your help buddy! i'll see what to do.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Ok thanks for your help buddy! i'll see what to do.

You're welcome.
  • edited November 2009
    here's my dxdiag. heelllp! btw, happy holidays! slapsgiving galore!

http://www.filedropper.com/thi-dxdiag
  • edited November 2009
    thanks a lot!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    thanks a lot!

You should try updating your drivers using the Lenovo update tool.
    If it doesn't fix the problem please upload another dxdiag so we can see what the update changed.
  • edited November 2009
    the update didn't work. i've attached my dxdiag after the update. thanks for the help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    the update didn't work. i've attached my dxdiag after the update. thanks for the help.

I see. It updated some stuff, but somehow missed the video driver.
    Download and Install it from here.
  • edited November 2009
    thanks for the help but i guess i'll try something else.
  • edited December 2009
    I am having the same problem: green brown squared where text should be and no mouse pointer.

here is my dxdiag.

plz help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    stocky_b wrote: »
    I am having the same problem: green brown squared where text should be and no mouse pointer.

I'll Link you to new drivers for your Dell Inspiron 1525.
    Install the Graphics Driver and Audio Driver.
    Then run the DirectX Updater.

There are probably a lot of other new drivers for your system in this list, but those are the ones most essential for gaming.
  • edited December 2009
    thanks it is working now, however it is painfully slow and the audio and video seem to be out of sinc. any ideas?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    stocky_b wrote: »
    thanks it is working now, however it is painfully slow and the audio and video seem to be out of sinc. any ideas?

That's because your graphics chip is pretty weak. Try to reduce the graphics quality level.

changing the graphics quality
    Start the game.

Select "Settings". Click the red arrows until you see "graphics settings".
    Set "quality" to 1 and test the game. If you want increase it as long as it runs well.
  • edited December 2009
    Having the exact same problem as listed. Attached is the dxdiag file. Any help is greatly appreciates. (all drivers are up to date as far as I know).
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    knox35 wrote: »
    Having the exact same problem as listed. Attached is the dxdiag file. Any help is greatly appreciates. (all drivers are up to date as far as I know).

Try installing the latest Intel GMA 965 Driver and Realtek HDA Driver.
    Also run the DirectX updater.

It is also advisable that you always install the latest Windows updates. I noticed that you don't have Vista SP2 installed.
  • edited December 2009
    Try installing the latest Intel GMA 965 Driver and Realtek HDA Driver.
    Also run the DirectX updater.

It is also advisable that you always install the latest Windows updates. I noticed that you don't have Vista SP2 installed.

Thanks, really appreciate the help. Working fine now.
This discussion has been closed.