Black screen in ToMI: Episode 2

edited August 2009 in Game Support
Yes. As the title indicates, I get a completely black screen once the game launches. At first I see the little scull image, which means it's loading, but then all I get is a black screen. I can hear the background sounds but there's doesn't seem to be any response to my mouse clicks or keyboard input.

I just updated my graphics drivers and Episode 1 worked just fine.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    )):
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    That's strange, because Episode 1 works...

But let's try some stuff.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible for us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    Apparently, the games won't work with the latest drivers, so I had to go back to an older version. What I said about Episode 1 isn't correct. It also wouldn't work with these drivers.

So, yes! I can finally get some pirate action! And thank you for the help provided, DjNDB!
  • edited August 2009
    I havent updated my graphics driver since the first episode but I have quite the same problem except that i dont even have the music.

I also dont have to log in or something at the Launch Screen... i can just click on launch and then the black screen appears. (i've bought and downloaded it from here)

Right as the black screen appears the skull appears for a second and the Windows says that the application doesnt work anymore (anymore ? it hasnt worked even once)

And the error report says in german (but maybe u know what is meant):

Problemsignatur:
    Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
    Anwendungsname: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Anwendungsversion: 2009.8.19.32126
    Anwendungszeitstempel: 4a8c6fcc
    Fehlermodulname: MonkeyIsland102.exe
    Fehlermodulversion: 2009.8.19.32126
    Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 4a8c6fcc
    Ausnahmecode: c0000005
    Ausnahmeoffset: 00187438
    Betriebsystemversion: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
    Zusatzinformation 1: e17d
    Zusatzinformation 2: 3be9f8a50bddd4313bd572f57066c49b
    Zusatzinformation 3: 81dc
    Zusatzinformation 4: aa162d78020c3d2d8202ca7dabeada06
  • edited August 2009
    I have the same (or similar) problem. I get a full black screen.

It did happen in episode 1 as well, but there it took around 20 minutes. By saving and restarting every 10 minutes I could "somehow" play.

In episode 2 it happens in just 2 or 3 minutes. There's no trick possible with such a short span.

Suggestions?

PS: I have attached the DxDiag output file.
  • edited August 2009
    Typbürste, set your screen to 32 bit instead of 16 bit as you have now, according to the DxDiag: Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (16 bit) (60Hz). It should work now.

VittoOuWan, I would suggest to install an older version of your drivers and see if that solves the problem!
  • edited August 2009
    Janken wrote: »
    Typbürste, set your screen to 32 bit instead of 16 bit as you have now, according to the DxDiag: Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (16 bit) (60Hz). It should work now.

Janken, now i am an officially fan of yours ;) Never thought it would be such a simple issue...:rolleyes:

THANK YOU ! :D
  • edited August 2009
    ((:
  • edited August 2009
    Janken, thanks for your tip, but...
    which driver(s) would you suggest I downgrade? Graphic board one(s)?

Sorry, I'm much more of a Mac guy, not as expert in Win.

Thanks. Vic.
  • edited August 2009
    Yes, those drivers. According to your DxDiag you have a Radeon X1900 and the driver version is 6.14.0010.6764, so I guess it's been a while since you updated the card. I may be wrong!

Anyway, go right here and download one of the newer versions. I would suggest to get 8.10 or 8.12, but if there's no luck, try any other version, but not 9.3.1, since with these I got the black screen!

Also, I would suggest to only download the drivers alone. For that, once you are on the download page of any version, go to the section named Option 2 - Individual Downloads and get only the Display Driver.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Janken wrote: »
    Yes, those drivers. According to your DxDiag you have a Radeon X1900 and the driver version is 6.14.0010.6764, so I guess it's been a while since you updated the card. I may be wrong!

I would also try updating the Realtek HDA Driver.
This discussion has been closed.