1280 x 1024?

2»

Comments

• edited January 2007
    Jake wrote: »
    That's not always true. Many 1280x1024 LCDs can display a slightly stretched resampled 1280x960 image. But yes I know what you mean, it's clearly not the native resolution for many LCDs and quite a few cant display that slightly smaller resolution.

Many times windows won't even list 1280x960 as a viable resolution for monitors (it's a function of what the device/driver tells windows it supports) so the game may just not allow it to switch because the last resolution it recognizes is 1024x768. It should also possible to have only 800x600, 1024x768, and 1600x1200 as resolution choices in the game for basically the same reason.
  • edited January 2007
    How about widescreen resolutions offered, but instead of black bars on the sides, some lovely S&M related artwork. That way, you wouldn't have to "re-shoot" the scenes for widescreen, and I wouldn't have to worry about a stretched image. Hurray!

Or is this a completely stupid idea? I am too tired to judge it myself right now :P
  • edited February 2007
    Yeah, is 1280x1024 not 5:4?

But yep i like to have support for this resolution too.
    It's just not nice, because the TFT can't interpolate it. ( if thats the right term for it, i mean AA is useless because the jagged lines are so highly visible in 1280x960.))

IMHO the whole TFT Aspect Ratio thing is a big error from the HW Industry.(refer to TFT's with max 1280x1024)

But i'm not much informed in that subject matter, so my post could be just a rant. ;)
  • edited February 2007
    Derwin wrote: »
    How about widescreen resolutions offered, but instead of black bars on the sides, some lovely S&M related artwork. That way, you wouldn't have to "re-shoot" the scenes for widescreen, and I wouldn't have to worry about a stretched image. Hurray!

Or is this a completely stupid idea? I am too tired to judge it myself right now :P

Artwork-y borders would probably be far too distracting, I think. (Of course, that might just be me) I even get distracted with FPS HUDs if their even slightly too large or detailed.
  • edited February 2007
    schuubars wrote: »
    IMHO the whole TFT Aspect Ratio thing is a big error from the HW Industry.(refer to TFT's with max 1280x1024)

Agreed, I don't understand what they were smoking when they came up with 1280x1024 as native resolution for 17" and 19" (non-wide) TFTs...

That alone is the main reason why I went with a 20" TFT (1600x1200 native) instead of the cheaper 19"...

On the other hand, I actually would have thought that in most cases, the scaling options available would make for a acceptable experience...
    While it may not always be possible in the monitor's settings, if you set up the scaling it in the graphics driver settings instead, you normally can have the aspect ratio preserved when the image is scaled up - if there is no meaningful content to have in the odd extra pixels, black borders make sense to me at least.
    (Preserving aspect ratio is more important than filling every pixel of the screen, at least to me.)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2007
    Good news for y'alls: 1280x1024 is totally supported in season 2!
  • OMAOMA
    edited August 2007
    Cool, I hope you will also support widescreen resolutions such as 1360x768 & 1280x720 (HDTV), 1280x768 & 1440x900 (laptops and LCDs), 1920x1200 (big WS monitors), 1920x1080 (FullHDTV), etc...

If the game is made for widescreen from the beginning, it should be easy to offer any resolution possible. Ideally, the possible resolutions list should be obtained from the user's system, so any resolution can be chosen, even uncommon ones (more and more games are doing this nowadays).
  • edited August 2007
    I forget, is 1680 x 1050 supported in Season 1? I can't remember if I had to go for a compramise or not.
  • OMAOMA
    edited August 2007
    No, it isn't. Only 4:3 resolutions are supported (1280x960, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480).
  • edited August 2007
    OMA wrote: »
    No, it isn't. Only 4:3 resolutions are supported (1280x960, 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480).

I see. Support me in Season 2, Telltale! :D
  • edited August 2007
    My Dell 15.4" widescreen-laptop has 1920x1200 .......
    edited August 2007
    Many widescreen resolutions are also supported. I don't know if there are any specifics that we do or don't support, but the way the screen draws the camera view at different aspect ratios was redone for CSI 4 because it had to support a few different resolutions on the 360 and Wii, and that is carrying over to Sam & Max with season 2. Instead of choosing between only 4-5 supported resolutions, it should now be able to query Windows for available resolutions, and present you with a scrolling list of the ones your screen supports that the game will also run at, and will indicate which are standard squareish resolutions, and which are widescreen.

Also if things go according to plan, yes, you will be able to change resolution ahead of time, before the game proper starts.
  • edited August 2007
    Also if things go according to plan, yes, you will be able to change resolution ahead of time, before the game proper starts.

Oh yeah, wicked. :D That's a much needed feature - I hated having to watch the starting cutscene in a rubbish resolution.
  • edited August 2007
    Cutscenes will only run at 160x120 unfortunately.
  • edited August 2007
    Will they at least run in 16-bit color, or will we be stuck with 8-bit color?
  • edited August 2007
    1 bit. Black or white only.
  • edited August 2007
    I wonder about the sound bitrate/resolution supported in these cutscenes then... :O)

[By the way i've never quite understood what's the deal with supporting different screens aspects if you can set the viewports for different cameras which gives you all the freedom you need.]
  • edited August 2007
    tabacco wrote: »

Sounds great. I can't wait! :D
  • edited August 2007
    Cutscenes will only run at 160x120 unfortunately.

Wow, that's even quite worse then what the original Gameboy supported! That's awsome :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2007
    Are you sure you can spare one bit? Or do you use some great form of compression which means the data taken up could essentially be scaled down to a quarter bit?
    edited August 2007
    Cutscene audio will be THX certified 7.1 surround. Game audio will continue to use OGG/vox, however.
  • edited August 2007
    ...and will play using the PC speaker.
  • edited August 2007
    Please tell me you're serious about the 7.1 surround. So far the only game that I've seen that can effectively utilize all 7 speakers is Half-Life 2. Headcrabs have never beens scarier than when you can actually hear them coming up behind you. :P
  • edited August 2007
    We've actually switched to Fantasound
    edited August 2007
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Please tell me you're serious about the 7.1 surround. So far the only game that I've seen that can effectively utilize all 7 speakers is Half-Life 2. Headcrabs have never beens scarier than when you can actually hear them coming up behind you. :P

Sadly that was a huge lie. Stereo, like last year.
  • edited August 2007
    We've actually switched to Fantasound

Aw, I thought that was going to be something to do with the drink.
  • edited August 2007
    Wouter wrote: »
    Same here. Though that is partially due to Viewsonic as it seems that most monitors (graphic cards?) can do this. However, isn't 1280*1024 a widespread resolution for a lot of 19" inch lcd's?

Must say that this is a bit dissapointing.

1280x1024 is in fact a common native resolution for 19" lcd monitors.
  • edited August 2007
    Good news for y'alls: 1280x1024 is totally supported in season 2!

Woo Hoo!!!
  • edited August 2007
    Sadly that was a huge lie. Stereo, like last year.
    Aww. Though I do wonder what you could even do with surround sound in Sam and Max. Have you guys ever messed around with stereo visuals? It would've been kinda cool if the hypno-goggles in the case file was actually a pair of 3d-stereo glasses, and the Season One subscribers could play Season two in full 3d. Just as an added treat. :)
  • edited August 2007
    dg10050 wrote: »
    Aww. Though I do wonder what you could even do with surround sound in Sam and Max. Have you guys ever messed around with stereo visuals? It would've been kinda cool if the hypno-goggles in the case file was actually a pair of 3d-stereo glasses, and the Season One subscribers could play Season two in full 3d. Just as an added treat. :)

Sure, why not? That would be awesome!
  • edited August 2007
    Mischa wrote: »
    what about 1600 * 1200?

I'm running it in 1920 x 1200 with no problems.:)
    edited August 2007
    1920x1200 also supported
  • edited August 2007
    Woohoo!

I was going to ask about this at the SDCC, but the sensory overload made me forget. Oh well, widescreen ahoy!
  • edited August 2007
    1920x1200 also supported

Wow, that sure makes my 1680 x 1050 look small. :D
  • edited August 2007
    Being able to set-up the resolution before the game starts would be the biggest improvement in my book :)

--Erwin
  • edited August 2007
    Erwin wrote: »
    Being able to set-up the resolution before the game starts would be the biggest improvement in my book :)

--Erwin

*nods* Like in the Bone games. :)
  • edited August 2007
    1920x1200 also supported

My laptop runs that natively, but the framerate goes down so much beyond 1024x768, let alone 1920x1200 :(
    edited August 2007
    Erwin wrote: »

--Erwin

That's also in :)
  • edited August 2007
    That's also in :)

Thanks! :) I know you said you were thinking about it (or something), but I'm glad it got put in.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.