Peter and Gamora relationship?

DISCLAIMER (QUESTION BELOW):
Hey guys, let me just preface this with a disclaimer that I only got into the Guardians of the Galaxy story because of Telltale's game and the release of the Guardians of the Galaxy Volume 2 movie this summer (I saw both the first and second in a double feature the same day. I say this because I only saw the movies prior to getting the game so I didn't know about the GotG for long before the release of Telltale's first episode) so I am not knowledgeable about the GotG comic book lore or anything else other than what those two materials have shown me.

QUESTION:
Throughout the Telltale game and even throughout the movies, both Gamora and Peter seem to be attracted to each other. So my question is why nothing came of it during this season of GotG? Their relationship teased toward becoming more openly romantic and you can even profess love for Gamora in the final episode yet... Nothing? It just seemed a bit strange to me how they made these two characters have a certain dynamic and then have it fall flat. Do you think they are planning to pursue this further in the next season or is there canonical information that I am missing here on why it didn't/won't happen?

Tagged:

Comments

• Dude, that's exactly what i wanted to say. I always tried to pick the sentences that shows i have feelings for Gamora, specially in the last two episodes. Peter clearly mentioned that Gamora is the woman he loves. But at the end nothing particular happened. According to last scene i'm assuming that there would be another season. So it will make sense that their love interest to be expanded. Another silly thing that i think it's annoying from telltale is their game is like +8 years which i don't get it. I pretty sure kids don't like episodic graphic adventure video games

• edited November 2017

It probably didn't happen because Gamora's a person who isn't exactly open with her feelings, at least not right away. She was raised to be a killer so she's not used to having the type of feelings that she's currently having for Peter so she doesn't know how to deal with them. It'd probably need another season for her to develop them more.

• Because Peter and Gamora in the comics (and to a certain extent in the movies) aren't inherently compatible for each other, and I feel like it's usually more Peter having a thing for Gamora than Gamora quite having a thing for him. Though as AnimalBoy says it's also due to Gamora's past and difficulty with relationships more familial and romantic. In the comics however she does develop a serious romantic attachment... but not towards Peter, instead it's Richard Rider, the original human Nova. Peter has actually been in a romantic relationship with (and indeed nearly married) Kitty Pryde of the X-Men, as their personalities clicked nicely together.

I liked how my ending handled their relationship though since I had Peter side with her and admit his feelings (however awkwardly), her cute adjusting of her hair as she served him a drink spoke volumes. So in the game universe, who knows? :)

• Telltale Games will most likely continue to pursue this further, the relationship between Peter and Gamora. James Gunn, the writer and directer of Guardians Of The Galaxy and its sequel, was asked by fans why they haven't kissed. Basically, he was asked why Peter and Gamora haven't started a relationship together.

He responded by saying, "The truth is because that's not who Gamora is. She is not someone who is going to just give in to the moment of a lustful, passionate moment. That's just not who she is. But what she did do: she loves Peter Quill. That's very obvious at the end movie. And she admits that to him and their love is based on something much deeper than sex. It's based on a profound friendship between the two of them. They are the heads of this family in a lot of ways."

You can expect them to pursue it further as the series continues. It just needs time to develop, as @AnimalBoy said.

• To be honest I prefer how its handled there than something like that:

P: Hey!
    G: Hey!
    P: I love, you mean a lot to me, lets bang.
    G: Ok!

As others mentioned there, Gamora isn't someone who will go so easily for that. I like how she is subtle and slow with emotions toward Peter, but moving forward with it.

Also I am not expecting full romance in S2, more like kiss will be peak of it :P

• kessjrausekessjrause Former Telltale Staff
    edited November 2017

Hi guys! Episode 5 writer here, and I think I can clear up some stuff regarding the Peter and Gamora relationship:

There are several reasons why we didn't want to heavily pursue the romantic relationship between the two for Guardians, but most of all, it boils down to what our Peter needed within the context of the story. He didn't really need a girlfriend; he needed a best friend. In the comics, Peter and Gamora are each other's confidants, and we really wanted to showcase that aspect of their relationship instead of leaning into the romance. We added nods to it, for those who wanted to pursue that path, but we as a team felt it was far more important that they lean on each other as friends rather than romantic partners.

Besides, they say the best relationships start with a great friendship.

• Are you guys going to make a season 2 please tell me!

kessjrause posted: »

Hi guys! Episode 5 writer here, and I think I can clear up some stuff regarding the Peter and Gamora relationship: There are several reas

• Great clarification. Thanks for responding!

Would be nice if you can show up here more :)

Hi guys! Episode 5 writer here, and I think I can clear up some stuff regarding the Peter and Gamora relationship: There are several reas

• kessjrausekessjrause Former Telltale Staff

I'll certainly try! It's been a couple of chaotic weeks since Episode 5 came out.

• edited April 2018

Oh man, it doesn't make any sense....

It seems clear that the main reason was not to contradict the rules of Marvel's business, who is afraid that if his main characters have relationships with each other, their stories will cease to be interesting and will not sell well.

It is more profitable for the business that Peter ends up married to an "X-Men" like Katherine Pryde in a nonsensical story.

How could you do this to us?

After all the wonderful work you did remodeling all the characters and their stories.
    Giving them great emotional and psychological depth.
    Making them even more endearing than movie actors.

However, thank you very much for all your efforts.
    You have made us enjoy this game very much, and even get us emotional at times.

It would have been amazing to see them giving each other a slow, deep, passionate kiss, with the song "Livin' Thing" playing in the background.

Because that kiss means so many things....
    The victory of love over fear and adversity!

P.S.
    You can still do it!!!!
    It's time to break with the past....
    You could release an update with the last scene of the kiss....
    Even if it is unofficially published on youtube.

• edited April 2018

Oh man, it doesn't make any sense....

It seems clear that the main reason was not to contradict the rules of Marvel's business, who is afraid that if his main characters have relationships with each other, their stories will cease to be interesting and will not sell well.

It is more profitable for the business that Peter ends up married to an "X-Men" like Katherine Pryde in a nonsensical story.

How could you do this to us?

After all the wonderful work you did remodeling all the characters and their stories.
    Giving them great emotional and psychological depth.
    Making them even more endearing than movie actors.

However, thank you very much for all your efforts.
    You have made us enjoy this game very much, and even get us emotional at times.

It would have been amazing to see them giving each other a slow, deep, passionate kiss, with the song "Livin' Thing" playing in the background.

Because that kiss means so many things....
    The victory of love over fear and adversity!

P.S.
    You can still do it!!!!
    It's time to break with the past....
    You could release an update with the last scene of the kiss....
    Even if it is unofficially published on youtube.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.