Tales of Monkey Island on Windows 7

edited September 2009 in Game Support
It just doesn't work is that because windows 7 sucks and doesn't play games

i have a Pentium 4 3ghz with 1 gb ram
with a nVidia GeForce FX5600 (256 mb ram)

is this up to snuff or is it windows 7

(i've also tried running the compatibility mode doesn't work)

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I've seen people playing on windows 7.
    Your system should be fine as well.

Which chapter are you talking about?

Do you get any error message or what happens?

Have you updated all your drivers and made sure your display's color depth is set to 32 bit?
  • edited August 2009
    the first episode, and supposedly the drivers are all updated (via the automatic update system)....
    but like it locks up or freezes or sometimes it says i'm not clicking on the original file!
    I've tried going into the folder that its installed and running it from there but it wouldn't run either....
    i guess i need to mess with it becuae if people CAN play it on 7 then i'm doing something wrong

thanks for clearing that up
  • edited August 2009
    Ah, I remember this. Windows7 has a couple of bugs if you try to start a program from the start menu or pin them to the task bar (it would start them using the user directory as the launch path and ToMI doesn't like that). You really have to go the directory, otherwise it won't work. Aside from that I didn't have any issues.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Let's try some things.

First make sure your installer was not corrupted during download:
    Create an MD5 Checksum for the installer and compare it to these ones.
    ad3f461222ae16278a92e823b77ce6b9 *ToMI_SiegeOfSpinnerCay_Setup.exe
    be68bcba18fb566a1bdd8ed6fc717325 *LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe

Then let's look under the hood of your system.

Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    okay i'm going to do what you just told me to do but...
    i double checked the drivers and installed from nvidia the actual driver not the one that 7 supposedly installs and i get to the title screen now and it locks up (that was more then i was getting before!)
    i'm going to double check to see if the driver needs to be updated!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Okay. Just post when you're ready.
  • edited August 2009
    We really need a thread for those standard instructions. Don't forget to update your DirectX installation along with it
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, I'm going to try to update the support FAQ in the near future. I "cleaned up" the stickies today, but the FAQ is a bit of a larger undertaking.
  • edited August 2009
    FYI, MI is working fine for me on Windows 7. I've done nothing out of the ordinary either, just installed it and played it. Only problem is that the mouse movement is really, really slow and jerky. Not sure if this is just how it is, or if something is wrong. Tired it on my nVidia Quadro and my internal ATI Radeon x3100 - sucks on both.
  • edited August 2009
    Oh, and I've used the automatic drivers for ATI and nVidia. Nothing at all downloaded or manually updated on my system other than windows updates.
  • edited August 2009
    I dual booted vista and it worked to the point where i could turn down the resolution in game and turn the quality down so it runs fine now....

thanks for your help!

all i really wanted to know was if it works in 7 and it does just not on my computer!

plus i really never wanted to run 7 but i'm told that none of our original driver cds are available so my pops just decided to install it with out asking me if i wanted 7 and then handed the P.O.S. over and said you can get anything to work on that
  • edited August 2009
    I dual booted vista and it worked to the point where i could turn down the resolution in game and turn the quality down so it runs fine now....

thanks for your help!

all i really wanted to know was if it works in 7 and it does just not on my computer!

plus i really never wanted to run 7 but i'm told that none of our original driver cds are available so my pops just decided to install it with out asking me if i wanted 7 and then handed the P.O.S. over and said you can get anything to work on that

What version of 7 was it? I highly doubt it was the gold code and it probably says the build number in the bottom right corner of the desktop.
  • edited August 2009
    Installed XP and that shit runs worse.....

i have pixilated stuff all over the place....

two bars of white flashing at the top and bottom of the screen!

If you guys wanted to design a game that cause epilepsy you accomplished your job!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    Installed XP and that shit runs worse.....

If you guys wanted to design a game that cause epilepsy you accomplished your job!

Not happy with Vista, which you had the game running on?

Have you installed...
    ... the latest DirectX Version?
    ... the latest drivers for audio, video and chipset?
    ... the latest Service Pack and security updates?

If you want me to take a look at it
    Please start dxdiag to give us some information:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited August 2009
    http://cid-0421201970410616.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public/Dxdiag?uc=1

theres a skydrive link, if it doesn't work give me a holler
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009

Can you make a screenshot of that?

What graphic quality setting do you use in the game, and does it happen too when you set it to 1?

Description: SB Live! Wave Device
    Date and Size: 8/17/2001 06:19:26, 283904 bytes

Since the latest official SB Live driver is from 2003, i would suggest using the kX Project drivers.

If the graphics problems continue to exist you could try an earlier version of the nvidia drivers. Uninstall the previous one and reboot before installing this one.
  • edited August 2009
    It just doesn't work is that because windows 7 sucks and doesn't play games

i have a Pentium 4 3ghz with 1 gb ram
    with a nVidia GeForce FX5600 (256 mb ram)

is this up to snuff or is it windows 7

(i've also tried running the compatibility mode doesn't work)

It's quite possible you're getting these problems because of your graphics card. I had the Geforce FX5600 a few years ago and it would get annoying graphical issues for certain games. It's also a very slow card as well. For any slightly modern game back then, I'd have to turn all settings low and still only get barely passable FPS.
  • edited August 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Can you make a screenshot of that?

What graphic quality setting do you use in the game, and does it happen too when you set it to 1?

Description: SB Live! Wave Device
    Date and Size: 8/17/2001 06:19:26, 283904 bytes

i make a screenshot and drop it in ms paint and it looks fine!

don't know why?

i'm currently going to do all thouse things you said and i'll let you know.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    i make a screenshot and drop it in ms paint and it looks fine!

don't know why?

I hate when such things happen. Do you have a digital camera you could use instead?
  • edited August 2009
    I'm probably an idiot for asking this but i've been looking all over the internets, my motherboards RAID driver is probably not installed would this have anything to do with my video card not working right?

I've had other computers before where i would need to have drivers installed for the motherboard somewhere.. The only driver available for mine is a RAID driver. Could this be the problem?

if it is the problem i have to run windows install again i guess which will be fantastic!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I'm probably an idiot for asking this but i've been looking all over the internets, my motherboards RAID driver is probably not installed would this have anything to do with my video card not working right?

I've had other computers before where i would need to have drivers installed for the motherboard somewhere.. The only driver available for mine is a RAID driver. Could this be the problem?

if it is the problem i have to run windows install again i guess which will be fantastic!

The RAID driver should have nothing to do with it at all.

What is your Motherboards Model and Manufacturer?
  • edited September 2009
    ecs 848p-a, i didn't think that would be the problem so....

i'm just going to follow your previous instructions
  • edited September 2009
    got it going good...

turned the graphics card down!!

thanks for your patience and help
This discussion has been closed.