@TTG. RARing the installer to add checksums?

2»

Comments

• edited August 2009
    How about a poll?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    BlueToxic wrote: »
    How about a poll?

I don't think that's a good idea unless it is really intended to use BitTorrent. It would only confuse people.
  • edited August 2009
    Not really very accurate as a lot of people don't go on this forum. =/ I think having an optional .torrent option would be a good idea though. Although that said, I do wonder how many people would use it, I mean the average PC user won't even know what a torrent is. Also sometimes it's faster to use DD than P2P, as I've found out in other places.
  • edited August 2009
    The bigger fear I have is that the average user thinks he knows perfectly what a torrent is: "Some illegal doohickey used by internet criminals to spread viruses", so "anybody who uses torrents is a criminal, QED".
  • edited August 2009
    That is another problem too, yeah. The ISPs and the Media doesn't help that either. Constantly releasing stories how ISPs have banned such and such an amount of people today after they had used P2P also saying how wrong using P2P is without realising not all P2P is illegal.
  • edited August 2009
    And torrents are the technology that most media coverage currently focuses on.

Really, if you want to use BitTorrent today for anything but downloads targeted at anybody but computer-litigate users (for example for Linux ISOs) you need to hide it. The recent Metal Gear Solid game comes to mind which uses a BitTorrent client to download updates on PS3. There's a very short notice when you initiate the update, but from that point forward they're careful to never use the word BitTorrent ever again.
  • edited August 2009
    It's a shame it has to be like that.

I guess it's better to use WinRAR here because everyone would benefit from that. The only negative thing I can find with that is that you need a little more disk space.
  • edited August 2009
    170MB extra... I think we can live with that. Even if it is decided against using them for the default setup, maybe we can at least keep a copy of each game somewhere on the TTG server so we can direct people there in the event of trouble.
  • edited August 2009
    Yep, although it would be rather hard to hide it if TT offered a .torrent file. Unless they made it into a P2P Download manager, for example like what Blizzard has.

(Was aimed at post #47) XD

Yeah but the winrar idea does sound best, and is the most easiest to do.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah, and the game could be less compressed because WinRAR will compress it a little bit.
  • edited August 2009
    Maybe ;)

DjNDB, about the split installer: Sadly WinRAR doesn't tell you exactly which file is corrupt in a split archive. The output if one file is corrupt looks like this:
    Extracting setup.exe
    Extracting from SiegeOfSpinnerCay.r00
    Extracting from SiegeOfSpinnerCay.r01
    Extracting from SiegeOfSpinnerCay.r02
    Packed data CRC failed in setup.exe
    Extracting from SiegeOfSpinnerCay.r03
    CRC failed in setup.exe

The last file mentioned above "Packed data CRC failed" is the one that's to blame. In this case r02
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    The last file mentioned above "Packed data CRC failed" is the one that's to blame. In this case r02

Thanks for letting me know.
  • edited August 2009
    Interesting, "Some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation." is apparently too complex for you. However I still think that the average user can understand it.

No offense, insult, or rudeness intended on my behalf, though I do apologize. My humor often does not translate well. (I find myself hilarious, so I can take some comfort in that.)
  • edited August 2009
    quickfics wrote: »
    No offense, insult, or rudeness intended on my behalf, though I do apologize. My humor often does not translate well. (I find myself hilarious, so I can take some comfort in that.)

Well, I can't say "none taken" as I obviously was offended by the combination of your and GaryCXJk's posts, which I perceived as an unprovoked attack. But I'm willing to forgive and forget. Apology accepted.
  • edited August 2009
    Blizzard's downloader for WoW is P2P, maybe do it like that?
  • edited August 2009
    Never seen Blizzard's downloader... is there anything special about it or do you simply mean it as a good example of a downloader that uses P2P under the hood?
  • edited August 2009
    Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject, but doesn't NSIS have an MD5 checksum function available through this plugin?

Edit: Never mind -- saw Will's post in the other thread saying they had some problems with it.
  • edited August 2009
    Never seen Blizzard's downloader... is there anything special about it or do you simply mean it as a good example of a downloader that uses P2P under the hood?
    I mentioned it above too. It's a good example of using P2P behind the scenes, aye. Basically it's a download manager that uses P2P to get their files to it's users. It has it's fair share of problems mind you like any place, for example when a patch is released, you can be waiting a day just to download something like a 50mb file.
  • edited August 2009
    Got it, but I'm not going to install WoW just to see it :)

I've sent a mail to the WinRAR developer asking him about modifying the UI for the installer, but I guess we won't get an answer until Monday...
  • edited August 2009
    Just got an answer from the WinRAR developer:

"Hello,

Sorry, we do not create custom interfaces for SFX modules.
    But it is perfectly legal and not very difficult for them to
    use a resource editor like Resource Hacker to modify resources
    in default.sfx:
    http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/
    They will need to rename default.sfx to default.exe before editing
    and return its original name back after that. They can change
    dialogs layout, hide and resize dialog elements, edit error messages
    with it.

Eugene"
  • edited August 2009
    Asche auf mein Haupt. I shouldn't have jumped to the conclusion that just because I couldn't find the string table, it wasn't there. Still, at least we know that he's fine with modifications to the SFX module.

I've made a minimalistic dialog using reshacker and turned it into an SFX module. The file is truncated to save bandwidth, so it doesn't really work, but you can see the dialog.

http://www.tapper-ware.net/files/Telltale/RARSetup-test.exe
  • edited August 2009
    Is there any way to make it extract automatically and then remove the files after the setup is complete?

I think some users could be confused by having to choose install location twice.
  • edited August 2009
    It does exactly that :) . Extract to temp, run, wait to close, remove temp files.
  • edited August 2009
    Ok, I must have done something wrong.

Then I don't see why TTG shouldn't use this.
  • edited August 2009
    Hmm, is this what you tried:
    http://www.tapper-ware.net/files/Telltale/RARSetup-test.exe

It should show the progressbar, then quit (there's only a truncated and non-working version of the ToMI installer included to give the extraction process something to do)

If you're trying to do it yourself, Advanced/SFX Options/Modes/Unpack to Temporary folder + add filename of setup file under Advanced/SFX Options/General/Run after extraction
  • edited August 2009
    Thanks, I never looked at the Advanced settings, I just checked the "Create SFX Archive" box.

Your file instantly give me an error message saying "Windows cannot find 'setup.exe'. Is that how it's supposed to do?
  • edited August 2009
    Funny, that's what I expected it to do that, but I don't get the error message. But basically yes: You should briefly see the extraction progress dialog, then it dies.
  • edited August 2009
    Maybe they can use silent mode and only change the icon.
  • edited August 2009
    No feedback at all while extracting 400MB is a bit much don't you think? But we can modify the UI anyway, so no problem there. The only question that remains for me is how to sign an SFX archive: I never had to work with signed EXEs.
  • edited August 2009
    Yeah you are right, it's probably better if you see the progress, and modifying the UI wasn't very hard.
  • edited September 2009
    Any luck with signing the SFX archive?
This discussion has been closed.