ToMI Steam Version - Error 51

SeaSea
edited September 2009 in Game Support
The game absolutely will not run for me. I bought the series through Steam, and I get an error code 51. When I try to run the game manually, I get "Application Load Error: 3:0000065432" Steam support hasn't been helpful, and I've updated my video, sound and network drivers, update DX and .NET, and started to sacrifice small rodents.

Any hints on my problem?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I moved this post to a new thread so it gets found easier and the other one is not disturbed by solving the problem.

I don't know much about steam though. Do you have the problem with both chapters?
  • edited August 2009
    Don't really know anything about Steam, but other reports I've found about similar error messages seem to suggest that it has to do with access rights. If you're under Vista, could you try going to the ToMI directory, right clicking and chosing "run as administrator"?
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Same Error :-(
  • edited August 2009
    Could you try to re-verify your installation? If you right-click on the game in Steam, there should be an entry like "Re-verify game cache" or something like that.
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Integrity of the file checks out, and I've deleted and reinstalled about five times...

I would be a shame to pay another $35 to get the game straight from TellTale... I didn't even know I could until yesterday. I don't really like Steam.
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Oh.. I forgot to answer DjNDB's question... Every other game from Steam works, including the first chapter (and it still works).
  • edited August 2009
    Me neither... bad luck. The next most common thing I read about where .net related issues, but you said you already updated that. Which version do you have installed?
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    I have .NET 3.5 SP1 installed, and I just installed MS Visual C++ 2005 SP1. All to no avail.
  • edited August 2009
    Urgh... maybe it's simply a generic error and we should try the usual stuff: Is your desktop set to 32bit color depth?
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Yep; I've tried switching it to 16-bit, changing the desktop to 800x600 and 1024x768 (right now it's in 1280x1024). I'm rerunning a repair of .NET 3.5 SP1, but I don't have high hopes for it.
  • edited August 2009
    You've tried pretty much everything I would try and I'm pretty much out of ideas... especially since that error messages is so damn informative.

If you want you can post a dxdiag log (start/run/dxdiag/save all info)... but I'm not sure it will help.
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    I know... I'm about to just order it through my Wii, yell at Valve for my money back and give up.
  • edited August 2009
    Well, you should definitely yell at Valve. At least they could tell you what that error message means in general.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    Honestly, I would suggest contacting Steam. I don't know enough about their system, and there may be some esoteric detail to the error that we just don't know about here. Although do let us know what they say, because I'm curious.
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Oh.. I've been talking to their support for four days now. They've been no help.

Does anyone know if the Wii version works better?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited August 2009
    In that case, could you tell us what they told you? We may be able to gleam enough information from that to figure out what's going on.
  • edited August 2009
    The Wii version has its own set of issues... mainly framerate and audio quality. Can you yell at them loud enough to give you back your money, so you can try the TTG version? You should ask one of the officials in advance, but I'm pretty sure you can get a money back guarantee for the TTG version if it doesn't work.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited August 2009
    I don't know if that helps, but if you are of the experimental type, you could try adapting this solution to your problem.
    I think the manually deleting files part is something not everyone would normally try.
  • edited August 2009
    In the gamestar-board someone had crashes too and solved them by disabeling his anti-virus software...
  • SeaSea
    edited August 2009
    Well, I don't run anti-virus, so that's no good.

Anyway, I got it to work. How you might ask? Well, I bought the game from TellTale. HA! Now, I'm going after Valve for my money back on their version. Seems it was Steam that was messing everything up.

So I've already beaten the game (it's not hard enough!). Now to just wait until Episode three.
    Thanks everyone for your attempts.
  • edited August 2009
    Sea wrote: »
    Now, I'm going after Valve for my money back on their version.

This might be more of a challenge then the game itself.
  • edited September 2009
    der_ketzer wrote: »
    This might be more of a challenge then the game itself.

considering steam support is virtually nonexistent. they dont even offer freakin phone support!
This discussion has been closed.