Tales of Monkey Island - Ep 1 - Simply wont start!

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I bought the pack on Steam this morning and I can't start the game. Could it be steam that is evil? Unfortunately not, since the demo that I downloaded from Telltales site behaves in the same way.

When I try to start the game the small vista loading icon is showed for 3 seconds...then nothing...at all. Like I had never clicked the exe.

I am running Vista Premium 64-bit version,Intel i7 quad, 8G RAM, ATi 4850, DirectX updated, Graphic drivers updated.

I have scavenged the forums and tried lots of the solutions that has been mentioned, but without finding one that works for me. (So no anti-virus, no anti-copy protection, Desktop set to 32-bit, compat. mode tested, run as admin tested). Actually this is the first game that hasn't worked on this computer.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Dxdiag.txt can be found here: http://www.chimaera.se/DxDiag.txt

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Chimaera wrote: »
    Does anyone have any suggestions?

I saw that Wacom device in your dxdiag. There was someone who had issues with a graphics tablet. You can read about it here.

If it's not plugged in try what happens when it is.
    Otherwise try uninstalling its driver (at least for the test).

Besides that:
    There's a newer sound driver waiting for you.
  • edited September 2009
    - I uninstalled the wacom drivers. (they can't be found when I checked the new dxdiag.txt).
    - I downloaded the newer sound drivers from the link you gave me. (Thanks by the way)

Unfortunately the problem still is exactly the same. Just to test to see if the exe did anything I removed the prefs.props. When running the exe this file is recreated. But except for that I can't see anything happening.

Do you have any other suggestions?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Have you tried the clean boot?

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • edited September 2009
    Just did a clean boot as per your instructions, but unfortunately this didn't solve my problems.

I really appreciate the fast response I am getting from you. Any other ideas on what could be the problem?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Chimaera wrote: »
    I really appreciate the fast response I am getting from you. Any other ideas on what could be the problem?

Those cases are quite difficult to track down. I can only guess things that can remotely have any influence.

Here are some more things I would try.
    - Disable/Uninstall Daemon Tools
    - Disconnect the second display
    - Disconnect Logitech USB Microphone
    - Install Service Pack 2 and all updates
    - Update your Chipset drivers
    - Update your BIOS
  • edited September 2009
    Ok, nothing of this is working. I have installed the game (since I can't start it). I have also sent your support a mail regarding a refund of the purchase, but I have not received mail from your guys. And that was a week before.

Can you please get back to me.
  • edited September 2009
    Chimaera, DjNDB doesn't work at Telltale, you'll have to ask one of the Telltale crowd (you can always ask them via PM if email is somehow unavailable). I trust you've checked your spam folder?

Edit: Wow, I overlooked that you were talking about the Steam version: In that case you probably have to talk to Valve about the refund.
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Hey Chimaera, sorry you didn't receive our support email. Basically our reply was what Hans just said. We have no way of refunding steam purchases I'm afraid, but I believe Steam is pretty good about them.

One thing you might try is downloading the demo from our website, just to make sure it really isn't the steam version giving you trouble.
  • edited September 2009
    Ok. I will talk to valve. Unfortunately it's not a steam problem since I can't get the demo from your homepage, which is very very sad.
  • edited September 2009
    Hello,

I'm having the same issue. I've downloaded it today (today being the day of its giveaway), and installed it with no issue, and it simply never did anything, apart from the brief "loading" circle graphic on my cursor which went away a few seconds later.

The task manager never shows it as a running application, but the processes tab has "monkeyisland101" throughout, most likely all the attempts to get it to run.

this is all on my laptop which runs vista home premium
  • edited September 2009
    Beyond,

I have asked Steam Support for a refund and I am happy to report that they said yes.
    Still it is really sad that I can't play the games since I was really looking forward to it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    beyond2064 wrote: »
    The task manager never shows it as a running application, but the processes tab has "monkeyisland101" throughout, most likely all the attempts to get it to run.

this is all on my laptop which runs vista home premium

Have you tried the clean boot mentioned above?

Also please give us some information to work with:
    Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited September 2009
    Hello,

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Chimaera: I'm glad you didn't have an issue with your refund. I downloaded the game as part of a free promotion so I'm not eligible, which is fine, "no harm no foul" and such.

djNDB: I did indeed try the clean boot, as per the posted instructions, but there was no change. I'm trying to put the dxdiag, but it hangs midway, so i can't save it. between me and my laptop, I'm trying to figure out who the inept one is. once I get it to work properly, I'll post it.

Thanks again for the responses.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I'm trying to put the dxdiag, but it hangs midway, so i can't save it.

Maybe it hangs because something is broken, that we would see if we had the dxdiag :D

We might go a different way.
    What is your Laptop manufacturer and exact model?
  • edited September 2009
    aha! success on another go. I've attached it to this reply, and here's some general info from the top

System Information
    Time of this report: 9/20/2009, 12:30:08
    Machine name: ALEXK-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
    System Model: Satellite L305D
    BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 1.50
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 2814MB RAM
    Page File: 977MB used, 4865MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectInput (stage 1)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I'll look at it right away. What Internet Explorer Version is installed on your System?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    DxDiag Previously: Crashed in DirectInput (stage 1)

This is interesting. Did it ask you to skip something when you started dxdiag this time?

Please start dxdiag again and open the "Input" tab. Does it show errors?
  • edited September 2009
    I was asked to skip, it's where the dxdiag hung last time. the tab just says "n/a" when I bypass it. when I don't, it shows the "collecting information" loading bar which stops halfway
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I was asked to skip, it's where the dxdiag hung last time. the tab just says "n/a" when I bypass it. when I don't, it shows the "collecting information" loading bar which stops halfway

That's interesting.
    Do you have any input devices besides mouse and keyboard?

Someone had a similar problem with ToMI when his graphics tablet was unplugged but the driver was still installed.
  • edited September 2009
    I do, actually. reading the thread gives me the impression that it won't effect the situation, however.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I do, actually. reading the thread gives me the impression that it won't effect the situation, however.

you could take a look at this thread then.

I would try to unplug and uninstall it's drivers, just to see how dxdiag and the game behave then.
  • edited September 2009
    I apologise for this, you were probably hoping no one else would appear with this problem.

However, it seems as though I'm suffering the exact same dilemma... When I run the MonkeyIsland101.exe, a "MonkeyIsland101" process is displayed in Task Manager (though, no application) and stays for a good 5 seconds before disappearing completely.

From what I've gathered by reading this thread (and a few related ones) I should say that Clean Reboot had no effect, I don't own or have a tablet driver installed, so the only other thing I can think of is the possibility of some other input device's driver causing the problem but as far as I know the only input devices I currently have are a keyboard and mouse.

It's the free downloadable episode 1, so I'm in no hurry to ask for a refund.. :p

I thought it would be helpful if I attached my DxDiag info also:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    JulMS wrote: »
    I apologise for this, you were probably hoping no one else would appear with this problem.

Yes, it's a tough one as you can see in the thread I linked a post back.
    But I don't give up trying and that's pretty much all i can do in this case.
    Some people solved it by reinstalling windows.

Here are some things you can try in this order
    Install
    - latest Internet Explorer
    - latest Graphics drivers
    - latest Audio Drivers
    - DirectX update
    - XP Service Pack 3 and other updates

Also, What is your exact Mainboard model?
  • edited September 2009
    I was having a similar problem with my Windows XP machine. I would double click the game launcher and nothing would happen. The exe wouldn't even show in the task manager. It turned out to be a direct X problem. I had thought I had updated direct X, since other recent games ran fine and my dxdiag didn't mention any problems, but when I reinstalled the game and allowed it to install direct X it launched normally. You might want to try running Microsoft's Direct X update.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en
This discussion has been closed.