Sam & Max Demo - Crash - Geforce4 users, look here for driver info

edited December 2006 in Game Support
Sam & Max Demo is crashing my computer after the title screen with the logo of telltale games. I'm using the latest drivers (91.47) of my graphic card.

Graphic card: GeForce4 MX 440
CPU: 1.7 Ghz
RAM: 1GB

Comments

• edited November 2006
    same problem here (see previous post)
  • edited November 2006
    I'm having the same problem.
  • edited November 2006
    I get the same problem with the full game.
  • edited November 2006
    Was having the same problem.
    Resolved it by moving the prefs.prop from the whereveryouinstalled\Sam & Max - Culture Shock Data directory. Then run the game. Quit after intro. Move the orginal prefs.prop back to whereveryouinstalled\Sam & Max - Culture Shock Data and overwrite the one there. Run game.
    Worked for me.
  • edited November 2006
    Nope, still rebooting my PC, but now I got to the menu part. When I press new game I see the "Loading.." text and crashes.
  • edited November 2006
    I feel for you.. :(
  • edited November 2006
    It doesn't work for me with the full game either. After the first two screens(gametap and telltale) it goes to an evil blue screen and my computer resets. Both Bone games work fine on my computer (this includes the newest versions).
  • edited November 2006
    Problem solved with the new drivers released today.
  • edited November 2006
    It doesn't work for me with the full game either. After the first two screens(gametap and telltale) it goes to an evil blue screen and my computer resets. Both Bone games work fine on my computer (this includes the newest versions).

I happen to be experiencing the exact same problem as you.
    Could you please let me know what graphic card you are using?
    I am using a Geforce4 440 GO, 64 MB.

Thanks
  • edited November 2006
    Me too.

I have a Geforce4 440 Go 32Mb in my Dell inspiron 8200. Shows the 2 logo screens then blue screens.

Thought I might need new graphics card drivers but NVidia don't support the 440GO anymore, so the latest drivers I can get from Dell are the ones I'm using.
    Problem solved with the new drivers released today.
    Wouldn't care to share where you got the drivers from???
  • edited November 2006

Wouldn't care to share where you got the drivers from???

Unfortunately (for us) Blondebeard is using a Geforce4 MX 440, which can be upgraded on nvidia's website.

Our stupid Geforce4 440 GO can't be upgraded though, as Dell never developed new drivers for it.

Does anybody know if the 440 GO model is used in another laptop other than Dell? Maybe another manufacturer has more recent drivers for it, though I don't know if it would work on a Dell.
  • edited November 2006
    I seem to have the same problem. Have any of you tried disabling the sound driver? For me that makes the game run. Unfortunately that is no solution... I mean - sam&max silent...
  • edited November 2006
    I would take a guess that we all have onboard sound with the AC'97 codec. My machine is from Dell and I cant find any updated drivers for the onboard sound.

I think we either need this bug fixed by telltale or we need a driver update for the sound that fixes the problem. I'm considering buying a sound card so I can deactivate the onboard sound and make my system more stable.
  • edited November 2006
    AC'97 codec for sound. That is pretty common for portables, right? So I guess a lot of people will experience this problem. So please make a fix for this.
  • edited November 2006
    I've asked the Telltale support about this problem, and the last answer I got reads as follows. Hope this can help someone.

Telltale support quote:

If you have an old laptop video card that is likely the case. One thing
    that may be worth trying though is going and find some thrid party drivers
    such as omegadrivers on the internet and installing those. Often with
    older cards the companies just stop writing new software drivers for them
    and neglect to mention this.

Sincerely,
    Terry
  • edited November 2006
    IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just get the driver from
    http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=Files&go=cat&dwn_cat_id=26&go=giveme&dwn_id=21

and your old piece of junk 440 GO will transform itself in an outstanding card that even runs Sam&Max.

Finally, I'm so going to buy this game now.

Oh, I was about to forget, a HUGE thank you to Terry from Telltale for the tip.
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2006
    Glad you found a solution for this (and thanks everyone for providing such detailed information!). Does the driver Mfavre linked to work for the rest of you?
  • edited November 2006
    For me and some others it seems to be the sound driver...
  • edited November 2006
    I tried those graphic card drivers and still the same problem.

Definitely a problem with the AC'97 on board sound I think.

Mine is Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio from Dell. It is a Dell Dimension 8300 desktop. Graphics card is 6800 GT.

Soundmax driver version: 5.12.1.3555
  • edited November 2006
    Just for the record: mine is a Dell Inspiron 8200. The graphic card driver solved my problem. I assume all the people using an Inspiron 8200 will be able to play with this driver.

The graphics aren't anywhere near as great as the ones seen on the trailer, but it's probably cause my card only has 64 MB.
  • edited November 2006
    It worked for me and I have an HP pavilion widescreen computer. I would have posted earlier, but I was playing the game. Great job!
  • edited December 2006
    Thanks for the link, the drivers at ngohq.com worked for me. For future reference my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite Pro M10 with a GeForce4 420 Go.

cheers,
    dave
This discussion has been closed.