Strange freezes in ToMI 2

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I just had a reinstall of Windows XP so I could have a less loaded system for videogames only. In my old XP I configured ToMI in 1024x768, quality 6 and it worked and looked fine, but a bit slow (old computer).

In the new install I have a really strange problem. I can play the game, and works ok on quality 7, but when I move down quality form 7 to 6 the game gives a Windows blue screen of death (long time I hadn't seen any) or the screen just turns black and the computer hangs. This happens for ToMI 1 and 2, Sam & Max and other games work perfect.

In my old operating system the game still works on quality 6, but not in the new install. It's the same Windows XP SP2 version, I have tried reinstalling ToMI, have the OS fully updated and I even reinstalled the whole operating system twice, but the problem hasn't solved.

Any clues? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Have you made sure that your drivers (audio, graphics, chipset) and DirectX are up to date?
    What message does the Bluescreen show?

Please give us your dxdiag information for more details:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited September 2009
    The blue screen doesn't say anything special. In spanish (my language) says that Windows has stopped on an error to prevent possible harm on the system, then suggests the typical stuff like pressing F8 to use failsafe mode, reinstall drivers and all that.

I attach the dxdiag file. I have tried also more options and detail level 3 also causes the computer to hang. It only works in levels 7 to 9, which I don't like because of the antialiasing (looks too soft) but are too slow for my old computer, anyway.

Thanks again.
  • edited September 2009
    Oh, also... The graphics driver is the newest form nvidia. The sound driver is the one that I use in every OS I install in this computer, and I haven't installed any driver for the chipset, it doesn't make XP run any better, I never install them anymore.

I installed DirectX from ToMI 2 and after that reinstalled again from DirectX installer as suggested in other threads in this forum.

Thanks again.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    The sound driver is the one that I use in every OS I install in this computer, and I haven't installed any driver for the chipset, it doesn't make XP run any better, I never install them anymore.

I would definitely try installing the newest chipset and audio drivers for your mainboard.
This discussion has been closed.