W&G Demo: Crashing!

edited September 2009 in Game Support
Hi,

I've really enjoyed Monkey Island so thought I'd get Wallace and Gromit too - I've downloaded the demo but after the ardman logo appears, the game crashes...

Any suggestions pretty please???
I'd like to have a go before I buy and I've ran the Direct X updates the download suggests x

Sledgin x

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Try disconnecting from the internet before starting the demo. You can read about it here.
  • edited September 2009
    I've also got a pretty nasty crash happening with Wallace & Gromit... but this isn't the demo, this is Episode 1, which I downloaded yesterday.

I've already got the first 2 episodes of Monkey Island, which work perfectly. With this new game though, it goes through the company logos, on to the title screen, I select "New Game," see Wallace wandering up to the options, and whether I select "Tutorial" or "New Game," the entire thing crashes.

It goes to a blue screen (like the Windows screen-of-death, only without any writing) and the entire computer is cactus. I can't even hit the reset button. The only way to fix the problem is to turn the computer off at the wall. :confused:

Anyone else got this...? Or am I just special?

P.S. I tried turning the internet off. Made no difference, it still crashed.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Irvyne wrote: »
    With this new game though, it goes through the company logos, on to the title screen, I select "New Game," see Wallace wandering up to the options, and whether I select "Tutorial" or "New Game," the entire thing crashes.

It goes to a blue screen (like the Windows screen-of-death, only without any writing) and the entire computer is cactus. I can't even hit the reset button. The only way to fix the problem is to turn the computer off at the wall. :confused:

That sounds bad.

Let's start by checking your W&G installers for errors.

Wallace & Gromit MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then Download this MD5 File into the folder that contains the W&G installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.

Please also give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited September 2009
    OK, got a green "match" symbol on the W&G file. Here's the DX Diag attached. No idea if anything stands out in it... :confused:
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Irvyne wrote: »
    No idea if anything stands out in it... :confused:

It does. You are using some really old drivers. I'll link you some new ones.
    Card name: ASUS X700 Series
    Driver Date/Size: 1/20/2005 13:25:00, 223744 bytes

Install the ATI Catalyst Software Suite.
    Uninstall anything ATI before that as shown in the installation instructions.

Description: Realtek HD Audio output
    Date and Size: 9/23/2005 20:56:28, 3966976 bytes

Install the latest Realtek HDA Drivers.
  • edited September 2009
    Awesome! Thank you! :) I'll try it tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Okay, installed all the stuff you listed, and hooray, the game works! :D A couple of little graphical glitches here and there, but I can play it now, so it's all good! Thanks once again. :)
This discussion has been closed.