New episode does not load:(

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I have downloaded the new episode of monkey island earlier today (The Siege of Spinner Cay) but it will not load and after a few minutes the screen just goes blank with no error messages or anything appearing so I have to close the programme to get control of my laptop again. I recently did a complete system re-load for different reasons and have starting everything again from scratch. I played the first episode of the new monkey island with no problems before I did the system re-load. I downloaded the direct x and then re-started the laptop to make sure it was working properly but with no success. I admit I'm not very good in this area of computers at all. Can anyone help me out or suggest anything that might be missing?

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Does Episode 1 still work?
  • edited September 2009
    Not sure as I uninstalled that after I re-loaded my laptop. I will give it a try though.
  • edited September 2009
    I've downloaded the first chapter again and managed to launch both episodes this time, although this takes a while. However i can only get as far as the menu as it does not show up properly, leaving the options blank and the curser dissapears from the screen. I simply don't know what I'm doing wrong! Please help
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Okay, I think your drivers might be old. Let's check that.

What is the exact Brand/Model of your Laptop?

Please also start dxdiag to give us some more information:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited September 2009
    It's a Windows Vista business (6.0, build 6002). brand is Maxdata. Hope this makes sense. The laptop is only 2 years old and the games worked perfectly fine before I did the system re-load. I did a complete re-load because the laptop was taking 20 mins to start up...now it takes less than a minute. Not sure about the rapidshare thing you suggested. Shall I try re-installing the games and try again?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It's a Windows Vista business (6.0, build 6002). brand is Maxdata. Hope this makes sense. The laptop is only 2 years old and the games worked perfectly fine before I did the system re-load. I did a complete re-load because the laptop was taking 20 mins to start up...now it takes less than a minute. Not sure about the rapidshare thing you suggested. Shall I try re-installing the games and try again?

I could use the complete model number of the laptop. Maxdata is only the manufacturer.

Please do the dxdiag as well. It can help me diagnose the issue. My assumption is that you had better drivers before you reinstalled the system and now have old ones again.

Using this information i would like to help you to update your graphics and audio drivers.

It doesn't sound like something reinstalling the game would solve, but you can try if you want to.
  • edited September 2009
    Model number is 30486350008 or VINO361G00. I have saved the file onto rapidshare but have no idea how to send it to you as I don't know how to use the site. I used you're other method of zipping the file but don't know how to attach it as I couldn't see an option to do so. If the graphics are old is there a site where I can download new ones for free?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Model number is 30486350008 or VINO361G00. I have saved the file onto rapidshare but have no idea how to send it to you as I don't know how to use the site. I used you're other method of zipping the file but don't know how to attach it as I couldn't see an option to do so. If the graphics are old is there a site where I can download new ones for free?

Thank you.

Okay let's do it by attaching the .zip. You can attach the file while writing a message. If you are in the "Quick Reply" area you have to press "go advanced" first though.

Below the message window under "Additional Options" there's a button that says "Manage Attachments". There you can Browse for the file and upload it. That's all.

You can download drivers for free when we have located the most recent ones.
  • edited September 2009
    Ok I've attached it. Hope it's worked.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Ok I've attached it. Hope it's worked.

Good job :) I'll look at it right away.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Okay, let's do this step by step.
    Please download and install the Intel Graphics Driver here.
  • edited September 2009
    Thank you:)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Thank you:)
    You're welcome.
  • edited September 2009
    Ok done that and re-started the system. Had me worried for a moment though as the laptop wouldn't re-start and said the new file might be corrupt.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Ok done that and re-started the system. Had me worried for a moment though as the laptop wouldn't re-start and said the new file might be corrupt.

That's odd. Did it do a normal start or in safe mode?

Have you tried the game now?
  • edited September 2009
    It had neither options, it just went all weird on me and wanted a windows installer disk, so I switched it off and started again. Then it thankfully loaded up fine. Computers are weird. I will give the game a try:) Thanks vey much for you're help.
  • edited September 2009
    It works!!!:)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It works!!!:)

Wonderful :) Now i can go to sleep. :D
This discussion has been closed.