Crashes for first episode

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I tried to download the first Monkey Island episode because it's pirate day and it's free for a day.

I think the message was 'monkeyislandexec101 has stopped working'

It happened at startup and I tried to reboot my computer. It worked.
Then it happened again in the middle of the game (after I got to the island).

Crashes make me give up on a game. It's a shame because I was just about to get into it and there's possibility of me buying the next episodes, but I wouldn't buy it if the game crashes all the time :mad:. It's the most tiring thing cos you have to start all over again from the last save. Well, lucky I could try the game out first on my machine.

I use Windows Vista.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Let me try to help you. The first thing we should check is if the episode downloaded correctly.

MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then Download this MD5 File into the folder that contains the ToMI installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
  • edited September 2009
    Having same issue...crashing on startup....tried clicking your link but got this message:

"Error

This file is neither allocated to a Premium Account, or a Collector's Account, and can therefore only be downloaded 10 times.

This limit is reached.

To download this file, the uploader either needs to transfer this file into his/her Collector's Account, or upload the file again. The file can later be moved to a Collector's Account. The uploader just needs to click the delete link of the file to get further information."
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    kathy11515 wrote: »
    tried clicking your link but got this message

Sorry, please try again. I Exchanged the link in the posting above.
    I now officially don't like rapidshare and it's 10 downloads limit.
  • edited September 2009
    Same issue here - game crashes on startup.
    I checked the integrity of the setup - the MD5 is a match.

Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
    GeForce 9800GT latest drivers
    Core i7 920
    2GB RAM
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    kathy11515 wrote: »
    Having same issue...crashing on startup....tried clicking your link but got this message:
    sushovande wrote: »
    Same issue here - game crashes on startup.

Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • edited September 2009
    I tried running in XP compat mode - that seemed to help...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I tried running in XP compat mode - that seemed to help...

That should not be necessary. I could take a look a t your DxDiag to see if there's something odd.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited September 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That should not be necessary.
    It works even without Xp compat mode :( Must have been an intermittent problem. Anyway - my dxdiag is here, but once again - it seems like I can run the game now.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It works even without Xp compat mode :( Must have been an intermittent problem. Anyway - my dxdiag is here, but once again - it seems like I can run the game now.

I don't see anything wrong in your dxdiag.
    Let's hope it doesn't come back.
  • edited September 2009
    Let's hope it doesn't come back.
    Yup! Thanks for looking, though.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problem. I was playing the game fine last night and I made it all the way to when you make it to the island at the beginning of the game. I've been trying to play it today and when I click "Launch Game" a window pops up like it's trying to load and then says "monkeyislandexec101 has stopped working" and it crashes. I reinstalled the game and updated my Directx and still no luck. I even tried running it in Windows XP compatibility mode and that didn't help.

I'm running Window Vista.
  • edited September 2009
    Same problem here. I was playing it fine this morning with no issues at all and now when I try to start it up I get the 'monkeyislandexec101 has stopped working' message.

Also running vista
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I've been trying to play it today and when I click "Launch Game" a window pops up like it's trying to load and then says "monkeyislandexec101 has stopped working" and it crashes.

Have you tried if it works during a clean boot?

Msconfig for Windows Vista:
    To Boot Clean in Windows Vista

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    4. Select the Services tab
    5. Check Hide all Microsoft services
    6. Click Disable all
    7. Click on OK
    8. Click Restart.
    9. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click Ok
    4. Click Yes, when asked to restart your computer

Based on Will's post
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problem.
    Same problem here.

Have you both also checked that your displays color depth is set to 32 bit in windows?
  • edited September 2009
    The clean start up didn't help. I get the same error message and crash. I checked and my computer is set to 32 Bit. Is that what you meant by the color depth?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I checked and my computer is set to 32 Bit. Is that what you meant by the color depth?

It is what you see here in the red square, next to the resolution settings.

5657d1232212879t-color-bit-depth-settings-settings1.jpg
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Here's another thing to try for those who were able to play but can't anymore. Basically the autosave was broken and caused the game to crash at startup. Renaming the autosave file solved the problem.
  • edited September 2009
    It is what you see here in the red square, next to the resolution settings.

5657d1232212879t-color-bit-depth-settings-settings1.jpg

Yes, that's what I see.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Yes, that's what I see.

How about the autosave issue i mentioned above?
  • edited September 2009
    Here's another thing to try for those who were able to play but can't anymore. Basically the autosave was broken and caused the game to crash at startup. Renaming the autosave file solved the problem.

I renamed my save and I'm still having the same problem. Do you think this may be a problem with Telltale not recognizing my copy as being legit? Maybe they're seeing it as a pirated copy and are not letting me play? They did e-mail me a serial code for the game but I don't know where to use it and it doesn't ask for one on start up.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I renamed my save and I'm still having the same problem. Do you think this may be a problem with Telltale not recognizing my copy as being legit? Maybe they're seeing it as a pirated copy and are not letting me play? They did e-mail me a serial code for the game but I don't know where to use it and it doesn't ask for one on start up.

I never heard of a Telltale game crashing because of that.

You said you played the game already. Was that in Demo mode?

Also do you have more details on the error message?
  • edited September 2009
    I never heard of a Telltale game crashing because of that.

You said you played the game already. Was that in Demo mode?

Also do you have more details on the error message?

No it wasn't the demo. I got the free full version they released for Pirate Day. It worked when I first played it and then now it's crashing on start up. The error I get says 'MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working' then it makes me close the program.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    No it wasn't the demo. I got the free full version they released for Pirate Day. It worked when I first played it and then now it's crashing on start up. The error I get says 'MonkeyIsland101.exe has stopped working' then it makes me close the program.

If it was not the demo, then the game has already been activated somehow. If you have not used the serial you might have entered your account information (username/password) into the launcher?

Does the game still crash when you start it while you are disconnected from the internet?
  • edited September 2009
    If it was not the demo, then the game has already been activated somehow. If you have not used the serial you might have entered your account information (username/password) into the launcher?

Does the game still crash when you start it while you are disconnected from the internet?

That's right. I forgot I had to log into my account. That's why I didn't have to put in a serial number. I also tried playing while disconnected from the internet and I still get the same message.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    That's right. I forgot I had to log into my account. That's why I didn't have to put in a serial number. I also tried playing while disconnected from the internet and I still get the same message.

okay so far.

Let's try replacing your prefs.prop with the one I attached here.
  • edited September 2009
    okay so far.

Let's try replacing your prefs.prop with the one I attached here.

That worked but when I switched to full screen the game crashed and gave me that same MonkeyIsland101.exe error.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    That worked but when I switched to full screen the game crashed and gave me that same MonkeyIsland101.exe error.

That's a good start :)

I think it is time to look at your system configuration.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009

Thx.
    Where did you get that ATI driver without WHQL logo?

Please download and install the most recent one from AMD.
  • edited September 2009
    Thx.
    Where did you get that ATI driver without WHQL logo?

Please download and install the most recent one from AMD.

I'm not sure. I always download my drivers from the ATI website.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I'm not sure. I always download my drivers from the ATI website.

Strange. But let's try some driver updating.
  • edited September 2009
    Strange. But let's try some driver updating.

I updated my drivers and when it went full screen I got the same error message.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I updated my drivers and when it went full screen I got the same error message.

Let's do the Realtek HDA Drivers as well. It would be strange, but I've seen odd crashes related to sound drivers.
  • edited September 2009
    I updated the sound card drivers. Still having the same problem when it goes fullscreen.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I updated the sound card drivers. Still having the same problem when it goes fullscreen.

I feared that would happen.

Maybe we can narrow it down a bit further. Have you tried setting different graphics quality levels before switching to full screen?
    I would try 1 and 9.
  • edited September 2009
    It crashed on 1 and 9. I also changed the resolution then went fullscreen and it crashed.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It crashed on 1 and 9. I also changed the resolution then went fullscreen and it crashed.

Okay. I think I am officially out of remotely reasonable ideas. At least we know now that it runs in window mode.

I guess at this point it's better when someone from the Telltale Support Team takes over.

You should send a message with a link to this thread to:
    support@telltalegames.com
  • edited September 2009
    I had the same problem on Vista x64.

I read somewhere to change to a lower resolution like 1024x768 or so from your desktop before starting, and it worked.

Then during the game, you can set your resolution back to your normal resolution.

Enjoy.
  • edited September 2009
    I tried the md5 file with the hashcheck. I think it's a match.
    I have DirectX 10.
    I didn't put the serial number because I logged in with my telltale username, so that's correct, right? (Don't know where to put the number anyway)
    I'm not sure about the autosave file. Where is the file and what is it called?

I'll try the game again, but if it crashes again I think I'll give up on it.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    dioni wrote: »
    I tried the md5 file with the hashcheck. I think it's a match.
    I have DirectX 10.
    I didn't put the serial number because I logged in with my telltale username, so that's correct, right? (Don't know where to put the number anyway)
    I'm not sure about the autosave file. Where is the file and what is it called?

I'll try the game again, but if it crashes again I think I'll give up on it.

Hi dioni.

A match is showed in green.

I think your case is a bit different. Let's see before we try more.
    Can you still start the game?
This discussion has been closed.