TOMI Episode I: no sound.

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I've just downloaded the first (and free) episode of Tales of Monkey Island and everything works perfectly except the sound. I don't get any sound or music (the volumes are set to maximum, all my other games work fine), I just can hear some very low sounds in the background during the game like the sounds of the storm in the intro.

I use the realtek driver (up to date) from my motherboard.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    That sounds similar to this case, except there only the voice was affected. It was not solved though.

If you run Vista you can you take a look at the Mixer while the game is running (Click on the Speaker icon in the system tray and select Mixer). Maybe for some unknown reason the volume is turned down for the game separately.

For now I can only offer you to take a look at your dxdiag and see if I find something odd.

Please start dxdiag:
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Now you have two options to make it accessible to us. Pick the one that works best for you:
    1. If you know how, you can zip the file and attach it to a message.
    2. You can upload it to Rapidshare and copy the link to the file into a new message.
  • edited September 2009
    I am having the same problem. I purchased both the TOMI and W&G bundles. Started playing the first episode of TOMI last night, no problem. However today I get only a faint, muffled sound from both games.

Since I had no sound issues in any other application I tried downloading and playing Sam & Max episodes from a previous purchase and they were fine.

Same sound driver as the first poster, checked the Realtek site to see if there were any updates, but there were none. Sound mixer is working.

Oddly, I also get no sound, from ANY application, using my headphones (which worked perfectly last night).

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    A dxdiag, as mentioned above, could be helpful.

I have no idea about the game yet, but about the Headphone thing:
    What kind of headphones are you using?
    Are they wireless?
    You might also try to unplug them and plug them in again and be careful what kind of output device you choose in the Realtek HDA dialog.
  • edited September 2009
    So sorry I forgot to included the DxDiag in my first message!

http://rapidshare.com/files/282419517/DxDiag.txt

I have checked the output device as you suggested, but everything seems to be in order there.

About the headphones: Bose and wired. I have unplugged them several times, checked for loose wires, and tried a different set too. No use. Not even sure if it is a related problem, but seems strange that they should be failing at the same time.

Thanx again.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Lambys23 wrote: »
    About the headphones: Bose and wired. I have unplugged them several times, checked for loose wires, and tried a different set too. No use. Not even sure if it is a related problem, but seems strange that they should be failing at the same time.

Your dxdiag shows, that your digital output is set to default. Try if the headphones work if you set them to default and restart the playback application.
    Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Date and Size: 11/11/2008 20:15:12, 2236512 bytes

Also your Realtek driver is not up to date.
    Please download and install the most recent Realtek HDA Driver.

There's also a new Nvidia driver. The dxdiag warns about the current one not being WHQL certified. This one is.
  • edited September 2009
    I'm going to update my driver then I'll edit this post to let you know if something has changed ;).
    Thanks in advance for the help!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I'm going to update my driver then I'll edit this post to let you know if something has changed ;).
    Thanks in advance for the help!

Better make a new post so i get notified via E-mail.
  • edited September 2009
    It worked ;) Thanks a lot!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    It worked ;) Thanks a lot!

You're welcome. I am glad i could help.
This discussion has been closed.