ToMI: Chapter 1 - Could not load game data!

edited October 2009 in Game Support
I installed the first episode today and I am unable to launch the game with the short cut created during install. The game put this shortcut into my "Games" folder on my start bar. When I click on the icon, I am prompted to launch the game, I get two pop ups. The first is

Error
Could not load game data!
Make sure you are running the application from the directory it was installed to.

Error
Unfortunately, this error cannot be recovered.

If I manually create a new shortcut it works. I also tried the shortcut in my c:\program files (x86)\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island directory and it doesn't work either. If I edit the shortcut and manually put in the working directory, then the shortcut works. I've added this shortcut to my Games Folder so I can launch the game but for whatever reason, the install did not work.

I am running the RC for Win7 Ultimate for x64.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Sending this over to our build team. Thanks!
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2009
    Hm... looks like the working folder parameter got messed up in the shortcuts. Let's fix it! I'm also going to ask you for some information so I can fix the issue on the installer's end.

Using the desktop icon created by the installer, let's go though these steps:
    1. Right-click the shortcut and click "Properties".
    2. Look in the "Start In:" box and post the contents in your reply. This will help me fix the installer.
    3. In the "Start In:" box, paste this line of text (including quotes):
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal"
    4. Click OK.
    5. Launch the shortcut. From here the game should run normally.
    Again, please respond with what the shortcut stated for "Start In:" before you change it. It helps me figure out what went wrong.
  • edited September 2009
    Seg wrote: »
    Hm... looks like the working folder parameter got messed up in the shortcuts. Let's fix it! I'm also going to ask you for some information so I can fix the issue on the installer's end.

Using the desktop icon created by the installer, let's go though these steps:
    1. Right-click the shortcut and click "Properties".
    2. Look in the "Start In:" box and post the contents in your reply. This will help me fix the installer.
    3. In the "Start In:" box, paste this line of text (including quotes):
      "C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\Launch of the Screaming Narwhal"
    4. Click OK.
    5. Launch the shortcut. From here the game should run normally.
    Again, please respond with what the shortcut stated for "Start In:" before you change it. It helps me figure out what went wrong.

The short cut is a .lnk file. The start in is blank and the link itself can not be edited. The target is "grey" and I can not edit the start in directory. I've attached screen captures of the first two tabs.
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2009
    Weird. I installed Chapter 1 on my Win7 image and didn't get a problem, nor can I think of what would be different between our two OS installs that would make the difference. Not even UAC would produce this kind of problem.

The best you can do is delete and recreate the shortcuts. So weird!
  • edited October 2009
    OK I have the same issue as the original poster for Chapter 1, Chapter 3 and Chapter 2, but slightly different for Chapter 2.

In Chapter 2 the shortcut always opens the install's folder location where the MonkeyIsland102.exe is located. The "Start in:" is blank. The target location looks correct but I have windows 7 and the area is greyed out and I cannot tell you what the full location is :(

In Chapter 1 and Chapter 3 I get the same error as the original poster and the Start In section is blank.

Some further interesting information. First I am using Windows 7 and I always choose to install my games on a different hard drive location then the original suggested value by the installer. Secondly, I had a shortcut created in the quick list of the start menu for Chapter 1 and it works fine and all the information is correct. It appears only the links created under the "Games" area in Windows menu are corrupted. If the information is useful to you, the first time the game is started used the "launch game" option on the installer it works just fine.

I can fix the shortcuts myself, but I saw this post and thought I would reply with some more info to hopefully help you in debugging the installer issue. Thanks for your work on the installer and be sure to remind the whole team at Telltale Games that they are awesome.

~James
This discussion has been closed.