Attack on Titan Season 3

edited August 2019 in General Chat

As I have previously stated a few times, I recently got into Attack on Titan over the course of this half of the year(plus the first three or so episodes last year) and watched up to the recently aired end of Season 3. Has anyone else been watching?
What did you think of the show, whether individually or collectively?
Who are your favorite characters?
What are some things you are curious about going forward?
Which areas did you feel could've been handled differently?

Note that this thread can easily include spoilers for those who haven't watched much if not all, so be mindful as you post for the time being.

Comments

• I think it's about time to talk a little about this show.

What did you think of the show, whether individually or collectively?

As I've stated before, coming in at a point beyond both the phenomenal height of it's initial popularity and at least the worst of the protracted backlash that had to come after, I'd describe this show as pretty okay. With points of good and even greatness, as well as occasional questionable spurts.

As for the individual Seasons, I think it's fair to look at them as with varying levels of appreciation depending on your preference:

• Season 1 is definitely the most explosive and packed of the three seasons, being comprised of the origin story for the Shiganshina Trio, around 5 story arcs, and lots of action and establishing moments. For those same reasons, it's reasonable to feel strongly about certain things while glossing over or criticizing others. For me though, I'd say it's probably the 2nd best season in terms of content.
    • Season 2 is the point where they start to "grow the beard," as it were. Many somewhat recognizable supporting characters begin to be developed, the pacing slows down to emphasize some tense mystery, and some clearer antagonism & conflict is set up. With that said, I couldn't help but feel the way certain things were handled to be just a tad on the baffling side and I hear many others who were actually involved in the hayday found the shift jarring and/or disappointing.
    • Season 3, particularly Part 2, is the point where the show officially becomes layered. Much of what was set up in the first 2 seasons gets some payoff and what is revealed completely redefines the context of what came before. There are a number of videos on Youtube that do a decent job hitting it on the head.
    • The Final Season is due out next year and given a combination of both some of the vague things I'm aware of as well as what Season 3 does, I think it's apropos to hope that what comes with it will make the show even greater.

Who are your favorite characters?

Armin, Hange, and the Beast Titan are the first to come to mind. I've also liked Jean, Sasha, Erwin, and the Female Titan.

If I were to discuss a fair issue that I'm sure most have talked about at some point, it would be the quality of the focus of it's cast. One noteworthy issue of the show is how simple most of the major cast are for the first season or two, depending on who you're talking about; this was something one can't help but be a little aware of going in. To be blunt, this feels like one of those stories where the main character(s) ends up feeling a little bare and ineffectual compared to the others.

I'm avoiding spoilers for the time being, but the three/four most marketed/prominent characters Eren, Mikasa, and to an extent Levi/Armin are very much the subject of a facet or two of this.

What are some things you are curious about going forward?

I'm naturally interested in seeing how Armin deals with the developments of Season 3 and their results. I've also heard things about Eren and Reiner's arcs going forward.

Which areas did you feel could've been handled differently?

This requires breaking down seasons, plot points, or even episodes on top of some spoilers, so I'll definitely put a pin in this.

Sign in to comment in this discussion.