ToMI Episode 1 - Get to a certain point and game stops responding

edited September 2009 in Game Support
I am having an issue with ToMI Episode 1 which is preventing me from proceeding through the game. Guybrush has just arrived at the pirate township at the beginning of the game. As I walk to the left of the screen (just passed the courthouse), the game should take me to a loading screen and continue to the next section of the town. However, everytime I attempt this, the game stops responding and hangs there until I Ctrl Alt Delete and End Task.

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the game, and that does not help. I know redownloading the file will not help as the game works perfectly on my brother's laptop (which is much slower than my PC).

The computer I am running it on is about 9 months old - 2.6GHz Dual Core, 2GB Ram, Geforce 8800GT (512BM), and is running Windows Vista 32Bit. I have the latest graphics driver, the latest audio driver, the latest motherboard driver, the latest directx, and all the latest vista updates, yet it still does not work. This is a fresh system as I've reformatted within the last few days.

I've read numerous problems reported by other users, and nothing I have found seems to fix my issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    I know redownloading the file will not help as the game works perfectly on my brother's laptop (which is much slower than my PC).

Did you copy the installer from your computer to his laptop (via USB, Network, you name it)?

Anyway, the problem sounds like a typical corrupted file error, therefore the first thing we should do is checking the installer to rule that out.

Tales of Monkey Island MD5 Check
    Please download and install Hashcheck.
    Then Download this MD5 File into the folder that contains the ToMI installers you downloaded from Telltale.

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.
    Green: File is okay.
    Yellow: File is missing.
    Read: File is corrupt.
  • edited September 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    Did you copy the installer from your computer to his laptop (via USB, Network, you name it)?

Finally just double click on the .md5 file for verification and tell us the results.

Originally, I copied the installation file from his laptop to my computer via USB.

After installing and using Hashcheck, it shows my executable file as "unreadable" (yellow).

Though I've just tried re-transferring a new copy of the file to my computer via USB and it still comes up with the same result - unreadable.
  • edited September 2009
    You, my man, are an absolute champion.

I tried transferring the installation file via the LAN rather than my USB, and the game works like a charm. I knew USB devices were a little buggy, but I never thought they were THAT unreliable. Makes me think twice about saving my uni work in it!

Thanks so much for being prompt with your response. Just as well it was a simple fix. I have no way of repaying you but a huge thumbs up! ^

* Strange note: Hashcheck still reads the installation files as "unreadable" (yellow). Hopefully that won't come back to bite me anytime in the near future!
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited September 2009
    * Strange note: Hashcheck still reads the installation files as "unreadable" (yellow). Hopefully that won't come back to bite me anytime in the near future!

That turned out a bit different than i expected, but as long as it worked :)

I could imagine some reasons for Hashcheck not finding the files:
    Is the MD5 file in the same folder as the installer file(s)?
    Did you change the names of the installer files?
  • edited September 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That turned out a bit different than i expected, but as long as it worked :)

I could imagine some reasons for Hashcheck not finding the files:
    Is the MD5 file in the same folder as the installer file(s)?
    Did you change the names of the installer files?

Too right you are. I've just realised that the file name had been changed to
    "1 LaunchOfTheScreamingNarwhal_Setup.exe". That was the reason Hashcheck was saying it's unreadable.

Thanks again.
This discussion has been closed.