Help to Setup Minecraft server

hello,
I have been looking to set up my own Minecraft server on my pc. but don't know how to do it and what resources are required for this process? I am not so technical but still, I can understand if someone recommends me a better solution because I am tired of watching videos on youtube regarding the setup, and every step I get stuck and no one is there to guide me. so anyone here can please guide me. I will be glad.

thanks

Comments

• I'm pretty sure there's a few free server hosting services. They won't keep your server up 24/7, though. You'll have to manually activate in advance. Try Aternos, that's what my friends and I use usually.

• There are many ways to set up a Minecraft server and it takes a little bit of planning if you aren't sure what's best for you at the start.

Step 1: Determine how many players you want or anticipate to be on your server at any given time. Obviously the more players you have the more of a hardware requirement you will have to meet. Please visit Server/Requirements - Minecraft Wiki to review your hardware based on player count.

Step 2: Decide if you want to run the server locally or from a dedicated online service. My knowledge is primarily on locally dedicated servers but you can use this information if you decide to rent an online one.

Step 3: Choose what operating system to run the server from. I run mine on Xubuntu which is basically Ubuntu without Unity Desktop. It's light weight and less resource intensive than Ubuntu or Windows. Most all Linux distros and Windows versions will do but I highly suggest Linux being that it's not as resource hungry as Windows.

Step 4: Download the required software. Go here and download either the .jar or the exe version of minecraft_server. Minecraft The .jar is primarily used with Linux machines but it can be used with Windows as well. Getting the exe if you're on Windows is just easier because you simply click it without having to run it from a command line or .bat instruction file.

Next you will need Java. Be sure to install the version of Java based on your operating system's architecture, 64 or 32 bit. I'll include some instructions for Ubuntu based Linux distros.

Step 5: - Windows - With all that out of the way, we can begin to configure the server to allow incoming connections. This is where we'll also be editing the values of the config file to tailor to your hardware or needs. Place the exe or the .jar (I will give instructions for the .jar file assuming Linux is the OS) in a folder somewhere on your hard drive. After it's somewhere snug and safe, double click it to bring up a somewhat blank white window. This is the first time running the software so you will need to immediately close this window and look in that folder with minecraft_server.exe to find a text file called EULA which generated after clicking the exe. Find the value "false" and change it to "true" then save. After that, run the exe again and more files will generate. Close the exe and find the text file called "server." This is the main config file for your server allowing changes of world size, pvp, authorized accounts, white lists and everything under the sun. If you're wanting someone without a paid version of Minecraft to connect, find the value "online-mode=true" and change that to false. The server will still be online but it will make no attempt to authenticate whether someone connecting to your server has a paid version or free. The rest of the values are very obvious and can be changed by you at your whim.

Step 5: -Linux- Skip this if you opted for the Windows version! Download the jar file from Minecraft and place is somewhere safe. I will place my imaginary jar file in a folder called Minecraft on the desktop. Be sure you have the appropriate version of Java.

Open the terminal and type:

java -version

If it's not installed properly, follow this guide to install it the easiest way, via PPA Install Oracle Java 8 In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint Via PPA Repository [JDK8]

Once you've got Java installed and reading out the correct version, open the terminal!

Remember, my imaginary Minecraft folder is on my desktop so alter your command lines according to where your directory is!

Edit: Be sure to rename your downloaded jar file to minecraft_server without the version number or alternatively add the version number to the command line!

cd ~/desktop/Minecraft
    java -Xmx1024M -Xms1024M -jar minecraft_server.jar nogui
    The "-Xmx1024M -Xms1024M" is the amount of RAM you're first allowing Minecraft to start up with then the maximum allowed to use on your system (1024M =1GB). If you have a dedicated machine take note on the amount of RAM your OS uses and find a good value for Minecraft to have. This is preset on the exe version for Windows but can be altered with a .bat file with that exact command.

After it finishes that, type: "stop" to close it and then agree to the EULA file in the Minecraft directory by altering "false" to "true." Alter your Server config and run the Java command again to be sure it's building the world then "stop" it again.

Step 6: Now it's time to get this thing online! I will offer instruction on how to forward your router port but there's plenty of info out there if you want to use Hamachi or a similar program to serve your game online. Port forwarding is just my preferred method.

Log in to your router. The login IP can usually be found on the router itself but is commonly something like 192.168.0.1 (many netgear routers) or http://routerlogin.net (2wire).

Find the section there labeled "port forwarding" and create a new open port. It matters not what you call it but be sure both the start and end ports on both protocols are 25565. This is the port Minecraft servers listen on.

After that you just have to run the exe or command line Java and you're set!

Type in Google "what's my ip." that will be what you give others to connect to your server.

If you're running the exe or jar from the computer you'll be playing Minecraft from, type in 127.0.0.1 (local IP) to connect to your server. If you're on a LAN then your friends or family will need to type in the IPv4 address of the server machine. or you can check this Post i Found this in Internet. this post will help you a lot.

I hoped some of this helped... I don't know your specific setup or needs but I tried to make this as all encompassing as possible. This should at least get a basic server up and running for you over the internet! Cheers!

• Unlike the very educated commenter above, I'm more familiar with renting servers. If you want a decent service, check out mcprohosting. I know they're popular through ads, but they are very good! I'm currently using ggservers as of right now because I'm too lazy to port my servers over, but I would've definitely gone with mcprohosting. With that, keep in mind what kind of server you're wanting to run because the more plugins and mods (if you're not doing a vanilla server) you have, the more ram/gpu will be needed to help the server run smoothly. Back in 2015 I would've been able to tell you how to use plugins and the best ones to install, but like mods it seems all the best ones are stuck in 1.12 and discontinued :/. If you do end up using plugins through spigot/craftbukkit, the creators are usually nice enough to make a tutorial or link one somewhere in the about section. Sorry I couldn't be of much help, but at least I have some knowledge on the renting side. If you need play testers for the server, I'll be glad to help. Good luck!

Sign in to comment in this discussion.