TMI Ep 3 - Entry Point Not Found

edited October 2009 in Game Support
When I try to start TMI Ep3, it brings up the message:

MonkeyIsland103.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point GetUserGeoID could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll.

It's puzzling, because nothing's changed in my setup, and the first 2 episodes still launch without errors. Everything's pretty much up to date, last I checked, but it'd be handy to have some suggestions as to what's changed since Ep2 so I can start looking there.

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    That's not any error I've ever seen before. What's your setup? Operating system and soforth. If you can send in a dxdiag, that would be great.
  • edited September 2009
    Windows 2000 SP4
    AMD Athlon 2400+
    GeForce 5700LE
    nForce Audio

DxDiag attached in a zip as the .txt is too large.

ETA: I should add that the problem crops up even before the launcher, so it's more likely to be a problem somewhere in the launcher than in the game itself.

ETA2: I little googling reveals that the GetUserGeoID function is not in Win2k, hence the problem- I imagine there's some gee-whizz factor in the launcher that uses it. Is there a command-line switch I can use to by-pass the launcher and start the game proper?
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2009
    As stated in a few places including the product page, the supported operating systems are Windows XP and Windows Vista. Windows 2000 does not meet this requirement.

In order to fix bugs and problems in the engine, our engineers incorporated functionality that requires Windows XP and higher to be installed, as consistent with our minimum required specifications.

If you can not run the game on a computer running Windows XP or later, please e-mail support@telltalegames.com for a refund.
  • edited September 2009
    As reference for anyone else who chances this way, there is some jiggery-pokery you can do to get it up and running- you essentially trick the game into using a different version of kernell32.dll. Google is your friend in this endeavour.

Naturally, such an approach is not supported by anyone, and so is entirely at your own risk. There is no guarantee it will work with future games in the series.

It saved me from having to endure (shudder) a notebook sized display and notebook quality sound.
  • edited September 2009
    I get the same error, although episode 1 and 2 ran on W2k perfectly. Does the new episode really need this dll's function? I cannot play anymore although i already paid for the whole game. Shit. Couldn't the installation have warned me before?
  • David EDavid E Telltale Alumni
    edited September 2009
    Hey forenbenutzer, as Seg suggested, you might want to drop a line to support@telltalegames.com.
  • edited September 2009
    What for?
    As stated in a few places including the product page, the supported operating systems are Windows XP and Windows Vista. Windows 2000 does not meet this requirement.

Sounds "definitive" to me.
  • edited October 2009
    @TellTale: please just delete this post, if you aren't fine with the publication of the following (completely unofficial) workaround.

There is a solution, but it involves editing the .exe file.
    What you need: a hex editor
    1. Make a backup of MonkeyIsland103.exe, just in case you mess up.
    2. Open it with a hex editor.
    3. Search for the string "GetUserGeoID".
    4. Replace it with "GetConsoleCP".
    5. Search for the 2nd occurrence of "GetUserGeoID".
    6. Replace that too with "GetConsoleCP".
    7. Save it, and play.

Just played through the whole episode after making the abovementioned fixes on Win2K without a glitch.

Tech.background:
    The .exe links to a function in kernel32.dll, that only exists in WinXP or higher (GetUserGeoID). That function is never called though (otherwise the "fix" would result in a crash or similar). Win2K will not load the exe, if it cannot find the referenced function in kernel32.dll. By renaming it to another function that actually exists in Win2K, it loads fine, and since the actual function is never called, causes no problems. I just chose "GetConsoleCP" as replacement because it has the same number of characters, and thus doesn't require aditional 0-byte-padding. Any other function would do. (Somewhere around this forum, there is a similar post for Sam&Max, probably describing the problem better...)
  • edited October 2009
    Really great, that worked for me!
This discussion has been closed.