Lair of the Leviathan on Mac

edited October 2009 in Game Support
Attempting to install and run this episode in CrossOver 8.0 results in the following error when attempting to run it (while the launcher is starting):
The program MonkeyIsland103.exe has encountered a serious problem... This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

This error does not occur at all in any other TellTale games I have installed. Did something change in this episode that would cause it stop working in CrossOver?

Comments

• edited September 2009
    I have a similar problem, but without any error message, in CrossOver 8.0 as well.

I've installed The Lair of the Leviathan in the same bottle as The first two episodes, which cohabit happily. I've followed the usual install procedure (switch to Win98 for the installer, accept the DirectX test/install, then switch back to WinXP.

When I start LotL, the frame of the launcher appears empty. If I launch The Siege of the Spinner Cay first, then quit, then launch LotL, the launcher works fine although I get the "Launch Game" button instread of the one asking for the serial or login... When I click the button, the bottle closes without any error message.
    I'll try to install it in a new bottle instead and report back.

Edit: Ok, for some reason, the installer didn't include the DirectX9 dll in the LotL folder. I copied it manually from the Epsiode 2 folder, and it works flawlessly. It's even able to discover the max windowed resolution for the game (1440*878, leaving 32 pixels for the title bar).
    Great :-)

Erratum (~24h later): The Win98 switch isn't necessary to install ToMI (any episode), but it is required beforehand, to install IE6 in the first place. See my post below (not the next one, the one after) for the detailed install procedure.
  • SegSeg
    edited September 2009
    I'm not familiar with CrossOver enough, but why would you set the mode to Win98? There's too much of a difference between XP and 98 to make that a good idea...

The reason the D3DX9_41.dll isn't packed loose in the game's folder is to make sure the game works with later versions of Windows beyond XP. Again, CrossOver isn't officially supported, so these things are going to happen on unsupported environments.

The installer now does two steps for DirectX install. First it uses DirectSetup for the following packages, all 32-bit as our executables are 32-bit:

* April 07 Input
    * August 05 D3D (just in case)
    * March 09 D3D
    * March 09 X3DAudio
    * March 09 XAudio

By using DirectSetup, it won't ruin your install on account of the installer overwriting files it shouldn't write over. Course, this only works if you have 9.0c installed to start with.

Then it runs the Web installer as normal. This way I get the stuff installed that you need to run the game, then cover the rest with the web installer so any patching DirectX does for your device will be covered.

Seems pretty clear that the stuff for DirectSetup isn't working with CrossOver. If possible, run either the DirectX Web installer or full DirectX installer and apply it to CrossOver.
  • edited September 2009
    I don't know exactly why you have to switch Windows versions, I just followed the Linux+Wine tutorial, except that it describes a first time install, so you it actually instructs you to create a Win98 bottle to install then switch it to XP to run the game. Since I reused the same bottle for the three games, I just switched back and forth to install them. It worked ok with Episode 1 and 2, and became troublesome with Episode 3. Not switching to 98 prevents the installer to properly set up everything, and the XP mode is required to run ToMI. IIRC, for some S&M games (or is it W&G?) only work in Vista mode. <== Edit: Inaccurate. The Win 98 mode is required to install IE6 the first time, not for ToMI per se. See my next post for the full procedure.

The missing file is D3DX9_41.dll, but as I said in the previous post, you can just copy it from the folder of Episode 2. fmodex.dll is also present in the game folder.

I don't know exactly how Wine handles DirectX. I know that they wrap D3D calls to OpenGL, so I find it surprising that the game works at all with a genuine D3D dll in the first place where a program should theorically look for it... Whatever... It works :-)
  • Macfly77Macfly77 Moderator
    edited September 2009
    pygy wrote: »
    I have a similar problem, but without any error message, in CrossOver 8.0 as well.

I've installed The Lair of the Leviathan in the same bottle as The first two episodes, which cohabit happily. I've followed the usual install procedure (switch to Win98 for the installer, accept the DirectX test/install, then switch back to WinXP.

When I start LotL, the frame of the launcher appears empty. If I launch The Siege of the Spinner Cay first, then quit, then launch LotL, the launcher works fine although I get the "Launch Game" button instread of the one asking for the serial or login... When I click the button, the bottle closes without any error message.
    I'll try to install it in a new bottle instead and report back.

Edit: Ok, for some reason, the installer didn't include the DirectX9 dll in the LotL folder. I copied it manually from the Epsiode 2 folder, and it works flawlessly. It's even able to discover the max windowed resolution for the game (1440*878, leaving 32 pixels for the title bar).
    Great :-)

Thank you very much, pygy!
  • edited September 2009
    Hey all, I'm desperately hoping I can get this to work! Pygy, I tried taking your advice and dragging a D3DX9_41.dll file into my LotL folder. However, I don't have episodes 1 or 2 saved on this computer (I initially played them on a different computer and am using a separate trial version on crossover than I used for the first two games.) I download the setup file using IE6 on a Win98 bottle, install the file, switch the bottle to XP, and then drag over the D3DX9_41.dll file to the folder. The game launches, but the graphics and sound are all messed up, the mouse is jerky, and gameplay is very difficult. Is there something I'm going wrong?

Thanks!
  • edited September 2009
    Note: the episodes need to be installed into the same bottle for this to work. I originally copied the file from Episode 2's bottle to Episode 3's bottle, but it didn't work. After I installed Episode 3 in the same bottle and copied the file, it worked perfectly.

So much jumping through hoops just to play these games! Can we get official Mac releases yet? ;)
  • edited September 2009
    RaptorNoise: My memory was foggy, the WinXP/Win98 dance is only required to install IE6 before installing ToMI. But if you managed to get ingame, you don't need it anyway, since AFAIK, IE is only useful for the launcher, not for the game itself.

Here is the full Crossover Mac tutorial, but, as you already did, use the XP option instead of Vista, then enable the "Simulate Desktop" option. I've installed all three episodes in the same bottle (the IE install and version switch is only required the first time), and copied the D3DX9_41.dll file from the Episode 2 folder to the Episode 3 folder (look in HomeDirectory/Library/ApplicationSupport/Crossover/etc... for the intalled files).

But your problem sounds like you either have a driver setup problem or an insufficient graphic card. Try to install DirectX9 from scratch in your bottle as advised by Seg, or to install all games in the same Bottle as razzberry and I did...

But before that, make sure that your hardware meets the game's requirements.

Operating system: Windows XP / Vista <== duh! ;-)
    Processor: 2.0 GHz + (3 GHz Pentium 4 or equivalent rec.)
    Memory: 512MB (1GB rec.) Sound: DirectX 8.1 sound device
    Video: 64MB DirectX 8.1-compliant video card (128MB rec.)
    DirectX®: Version 9.0c or better
  • edited September 2009
    pygy wrote: »
    I don't know exactly why you have to switch Windows versions, I just followed the Linux+Wine tutorial, except that it describes a first time install, so you it actually instructs you to create a Win98 bottle to install then switch it to XP to run the game. Since I reused the same bottle for the three games, I just switched back and forth to install them. It worked ok with Episode 1 and 2, and became troublesome with Episode 3. Not switching to 98 prevents the installer to properly set up everything, and the XP mode is required to run ToMI. IIRC, for some S&M games (or is it W&G?) only work in Vista mode.

The missing file is D3DX9_41.dll, but as I said in the previous post, you can just copy it from the folder of Episode 2. fmodex.dll is also present in the game folder.

I don't know exactly how Wine handles DirectX. I know that they wrap D3D calls to OpenGL, so I find it surprising that the game works at all with a genuine D3D dll in the first place where a program should theorically look for it... Whatever... It works :-)

This worked perfectly for me. Thanks Pygy!
  • edited October 2009
    @Seg:

1) thanks for helping the OS X users.

2) Did you update the first two episodes to match the installing behaviour of the third? I want to know if my current archives are precious regarding the possibility of an easy OS X+Crossover install...
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Not yet, Pygy. If it does happen, we will try to announce it.
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, thanks :-)
  • JakeJake Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    I have CrossOver 8 Games installed on my Mac at home (an aluminum MacBook, not pro). After reading this thread, I went home and ran the LotL installer exe just by double clicking it on my desktop. CrossOver launched, created a bottle and ran the installer, and the game popped up no problem. It's an XP style bottle, for "unsupported games." I don't know the details of how CrossOver works.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks for checking :-)

I'll try again then. I'm using CrossOver 8.0.0 which is supposedly a superset of the gaming version. The latest Crossover Games I was able to download with my subscription was 7.2.2, but I haven't tried (yet) to use it to play ToMI.

I'm using a 32bit MacBook pro (the very first generation).

BTW, did you check the graphic detail level you can reach in Crossover? I'm stuck at level 3 on my machine, with a Radeon mobile X1600, 128MB of VRAM...
This discussion has been closed.