ToMI Chapter 1 : crash

edited October 2009 in Game Support
Hi,

I just purchased, downloaded and installed Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1. Installation seems to have gone ok but when I double click the desktop icon to run the program, I get a crash notice : "Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

I have an up to date machine running the latest patches of Windows XP Pro so not sure why I'm having a problem.

Any ideas on what to look for?

thanks,

Ed

Comments

• WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited October 2009
    Hey Ed, do you know if your Internet Explorer is up to date as well? Could you try updating it just to be sure? The wrapper (which is what is loading at the point where you are crashing) is heavily reliant on IE specifically.
  • edited October 2009
    Will wrote: »
    Hey Ed, do you know if your Internet Explorer is up to date as well? Could you try updating it just to be sure? The wrapper (which is what is loading at the point where you are crashing) is heavily reliant on IE specifically.

That is not up to date. I don't use IE for anything and have avoided allowing v8 to install. I still have ie6 on the machine.

I'll set a restore point and then install ie8 to see what happens.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ed
  • edited October 2009
    I just updated to IE8. That did not make any difference, I still get the same crash in the same place.

thanks,

Ed
    edited October 2009
    Hmmm, ok, could you try downloading this hash checking program? Then right click on your installer, go to properties and check the md5 checksum for the installer and post it here. That way we know if the file itself is corrupt.
  • edited October 2009
    Hmmm, ok, could you try downloading this hash checking program? Then right click on your installer, go to properties and check the md5 checksum for the installer and post it here. That way we know if the file itself is corrupt.

I'm a little unclear as to which program you refer to when you say installer.

I've just checked the md5 for the main executable in Program Files/Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 1, here is the result:

f3d53a81b3d49358a4bba83a8ed07761 *MonkeyIsland101.exe

If I was supposed to check a different program, then please let me know.

thanks again,

Ed
  • edited October 2009
    In case you meant this file, here is another md5:

929bc7f96d471febfc54997e1194a0b2 *TalesofMonkeyIslandChapter1Setup.exe
    edited October 2009
    yeah, it was the setup I was looking for, but I appear to have a different version than you. Out of curiosity, which site did you download the game from?
  • edited October 2009
    yeah, it was the setup I was looking for, but I appear to have a different version than you. Out of curiosity, which site did you download the game from?

I purchased and downloaded the game from Amazon.
    edited October 2009
    Ooooh, ok that changes some things. I'll need to see if I can track down an installer from them. Unfortunately the person I would usually bug about this is out of office today.
    edited October 2009
    In the meantime, could you get me some of your system specs? Go to your Start menu and click on Run.
    Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.
    Then go to the Display tab
    While here, the useful things for us:
    Name:
    Current Display Mode:
    Main Driver:
    Version:
    Date:
  • edited October 2009
    Sure, here's the info:

Name: ATI Radeon HD 3400 Series
    Current Display Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
    Version: 6.14.0010.6962 (English)
    Date: 5/15/2009 23:38:15
  • edited October 2009
    Here's a little more info:

I just tried uninstalling my paid version and installed the demo from here. After installation, I got to the "try or buy" screen. When I clicked to play the demo, I got the same crash I was getting with the Amazon version.

Ed
    edited October 2009
    Ok, well that's something then. I've got someone tracking down the amazon version for me today, but it sounds like it's unrelated to that. Your graphics card is certainly up to the challenge and your driver is up to date, so it isn't that...

Let's see if anything else on your computer could be causing the problem, by turning it all off. Anal step by step instructions pasted below.

To Boot Clean in Windows XP

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG --> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Selective Startup
    3. Uncheck Process SYSTEM.INI file
    4. Uncheck Process WIN.INI file
    5. Uncheck Load Startup Items
    6. Click on the Services tab
    7. At the bottom, check Hide All Microsoft Services
    8. Uncheck all boxes in the window or click the button labeled Disable All
    6. Click OK
    7. Click Restart
    8. After reboot, run game to see if it works.

After performing the necessary steps, restore your system by doing the following:

1. Click Start --> Run --> Type MSCONFIG--> Click OK
    2. On the General tab, choose Normal Startup
    3. Click OK
    4. Click YES, when asked to restart your computer
  • edited October 2009
    Under a clean boot, I get the opening screen (load/save games, etc). I haven't tried to play the game but this is a lot further than I got previously so I would say we're on the right track.

Hopefully there's an easy way to narrow it down from here, I have 161 unchecked items when doing a clean boot.

thanks,

Ed
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    edadks wrote: »
    Hopefully there's an easy way to narrow it down from here, I have 161 unchecked items when doing a clean boot.

I would start with disabling security software (Firewall/Anti Virus/...) they are most likely to interfere with other software.
  • edited October 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    I would start with disabling security software (Firewall/Anti Virus/...) they are most likely to interfere with other software.
    Hi.

I tried that early on but they don't seem to be interfering.

thanks for the suggestion though,

Ed
  • edited October 2009
    Ok, I got lucky.

I figured I might as well start with tray items since they're easier to toggle than startup items. So first I disabled all non-essential programs running in the tray. The game came right up so I enabled them one by one to see which one was causing the conflict.

The conflict is with Replay AV 8 from Applian. If I turn off the scheduler the game runs fine.

It's nice to see Guybrush again, it's been a long time :)

I'm sure I'm going to forget to turn the scheduler back on and I'll be grumbling when I miss recording something, but that's ok, it's just a minor inconvenience, I'm happy to be able to start on the game now.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Ed
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    edadks wrote: »
    The conflict is with Replay AV 8 from Applian. If I turn off the scheduler the game runs fine.

Nicely done.
    Are you using the latest Version of Replay AV?

I don't know much about the program, but i could imagine that it hooks into some places in order to record stuff out of applications that normally could not be recorded and thereby breaks the game as well. That's just a wild theory trying to understand why it crashes the game though.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited October 2009
    I took a quick look at the Replay AV Forums and there are a few others with similar problems although with other applications here and there.
    Updating to the latest version seems to have helped in at least one case.
This discussion has been closed.