Games Explorer Problem TOMI Chapter 2

edited December 2009 in Game Support
I'm having a problem with Monkey Island Chapter 2. When I try to launch it from the Windows 7 (64 bit) games explorer, all it does is open the game folder instead.

When I try using run as administrator, it tells me that the shortcut below is invalid, so its almost as if the shortcut is pointing to the folder instead of the exe.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Telltale Games\Tales of Monkey Island\The Siege of Spinner Cay

If I then click MonkeyIsland102.exe the game launches and plays fine.

Comments

• edited October 2009
    Yeah, I can confirm that issue (running Win 7 Pro 64 bit here).

Even more strangely, even editing the Windows 7 registry entry for "The Siege of Spinner Cay" does NOT fix the broken link to "MonkeyIsland102.exe".

I simply cannot understand why I am unable to get it working.

I applied "regedit", went to folder:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\GameUX\Games\{89CD98EA-03BF-42D2-B03B-3A92CE8988F0}

This regsitry entry has several values that point to the location of "MonkeyIsland102.exe". And INDEED, both the values "AppExePath" AND "ConfigGDFBinaryPath" were missing "MonkeyIsland102.exe" in comparison to the registry settings for Tales part one and three.

Thus, the nonworking GameEplorer link seemed plausible. Nonetheless, fixing Siege of Spinner Cay's registry entries does NOT allow Windows 7 to start the game directly via the GameExplorer.

This is only a small issue, but help and advice are most welcome!
  • SegSeg
    edited October 2009
    Starting with 103, I scripted in the new Win7 way of installing games in Games Explorer [ IGameExplorer2::InstallGame ]. The Vista way [ IGameExplorer::AddGame ] doesn't work quite right in Win7. Specifically with the working folder parameter in the shortcut.

I can 100% tell you this issue will be fixed for the DVD release and chapters 4 and 5 when they are released.
  • edited October 2009
    Thanks. Good to hear.

Yeah, I tried editing the registry like that aswell. It doesn't work even if you correct the entry.

The Games Explorer seems to be the one place in 7 thats really a step back, it doesn't handle games that weren't designed for it very well at all. And even worse theres seemingly no way to correct them most of the time. Even registry editing can only fix so much.
  • edited October 2009
    It's just a minor problem but Chapter 4 still doesn't work with the Game Explorer. I find the game explorer to be quite useless if you ask me. MS need to fix it in an update to allow editing entries in the Game Explorer.
  • edited October 2009
    Civ2boss wrote: »
    It's just a minor problem but Chapter 4 still doesn't work with the Game Explorer. I find the game explorer to be quite useless if you ask me. MS need to fix it in an update to allow editing entries in the Game Explorer.
    Maybe you're not using Win7, but every episode but 2 (which is the subject of this thread, after all) works fine for me with Win7's Game Explorer...
  • SegSeg
    edited November 2009
    Civ3boss: Are you on Win7 or Vista?

If Vista, are you on the latest service pack and all patched up?

If Win7, are you on the release version from the DVD, or one of the earlier pre-releases?
  • edited December 2009
    @Seg: Hmm I guess that could be it, I'm only using the release candidate for now. I guess that must be it. Oh well it's not so hard to add shortcuts to the actual game themselves in the start menu or even the game explorer.
  • SegSeg
    edited December 2009
    @Civ2boss: Yup, that's it. There was a bug that made the Games Explorer touch-and-go with the builds of Win7 released before it was actually released.
This discussion has been closed.