Windows 7 & You!

SegSeg
edited October 2009 in Game Support
Planning on upgrading to Windows 7? Already there and finding some problems? Please read though this post first. If you've tried these steps and you still have problems, please feel free to make a post here in the forums or contact us directly. Most of this information applies to games bought via TelltaleGames.com, Steam, and on Amazon.com.

What do do before you upgrade:
Back. Up. Your. Files.

It's good to read the instructions provided my Microsoft. I'll outline the basics here.

If you're going from Vista to Win7:
The Win7 install will migrate things for you. Make sure you pay attention to the setup process and choose "Upgrade."

If you're upgrading from XP:
The process is sadly a bit more intense. You can't upgrade from Win7 straight from XP. You have to wipe your previous install clean before going to Win7. Yes, this is lame.

First, I'm going to have to ask that you uninstall your Telltale Games, regardless of your location. Remember to hit the option to keep your save games!!!

There's a tool called Microsoft Easy Transfer. This wizard will create a package of your user information that can be backed up. Run this tool and save your info to a different hard drive or some other storage device.

The location most Telltale games will store your save files is in a folder "Telltale Games" in your "My Documents" folder. Older games like Sam & Max Season 1 still store saves in the root folder. We also store registry keys in HKLU\Software\Telltale Games\

Above anything else, it's the contents of the Telltale Games folder in Documents that you need to back up.

I've installed Win7, now what?

Important Notes for Everyone:

Regardless of where which OS you started from, you must update DirectX. Microsoft did not include any DirectX updates in the past 5+ years in the Win7 install. You will need to reinstall DirectX. If you reinstall a Telltale Game on Win7, you'll get these updates. But it's good to just update DX manually. Yes, this is lame and makes me very angry.

If you got your game via TelltaleGames.com, you may need to re-authenticate. The easy way is to use your Telltale login for the first game. Then all subsequent Telltale games will pull your serial number automatically. As always, contact us if you have any problems!

Notes if you started from WinXP:

You will need to run the "Windows Easy Transfer" program to import your saved XP data back into Win7.
You can find this application by go to: Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Windows Easy Transfer.

From here you should have your save games located at %DOCUMENTS%\Telltale Games\

With your saves in place, you can reinstall the games as you wish. Regardless of where you obtained the game (Telltalegames.com, Steam, Amazon), the saves should work out of the box after install.

I still have a problem!?

Please feel free to contact us though the support forms or contact us directly.

Compatibility Notes

The following games work on Win7. Others currently require compatibility modes and/or admin privileges to run.
* Tales of Monkey Island
* CSI: Deadly Intent
* Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures
* Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space (Season Two)
This discussion has been closed.