ToMI issues with Windows 7

edited January 2010 in Game Support
Hey guys,
I upgraded to Windows 7 recently from Windows Vista. They are both 64-bit operating systems. All games, including the ones from Telltale worked flawlessly under Vista, however, I'm finding it impossible to play any Tales of Monkey Island episodes since I upgraded. Whenever I run the game, I get a black screen for a moment after the launcher and then it shuts down with the infamous '...has stopped working' error message. Yes, I have updated all drivers, reinstalled DirectX 9 several times, tried running it as the administrator, nothing makes any difference. Here's the error report, too:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	MonkeyIsland104.exe
  Application Version:	2009.10.29.36411
  Application Timestamp:	4aea17bb
  Fault Module Name:	MonkeyIsland104.exe
  Fault Module Version:	2009.10.29.36411
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4aea17bb
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0017d9b8
  OS Version:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
  Locale ID:	1033
  Additional Information 1:	caf3
  Additional Information 2:	caf3ce7cb8b6663983735e1c8a5f4642
  Additional Information 3:	44b8
  Additional Information 4:	44b8bcd826e9e7070abde2e8ee732c49

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Is your display color depth set to 32 bit?
  • edited November 2009
    Yes, it is, forgot to mention that.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    crossover wrote: »
    Yes, it is, forgot to mention that.

You problem looks similar to this one. You might want to try the solutions mentioned there, and also post the dxdaig output.

One of the workarounds is running in windowed mode. Here's a way how to do that:

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download the attached prefs.prop and unzip it.
    It has a 1024x768 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

In "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.
  • edited November 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    You problem looks similar to this one. You might want to try the solutions mentioned there, and also post the dxdaig output.

One of the workarounds is running in windowed mode. Here's a way how to do that:

Replacing the file prefs.prop
    Download the attached prefs.prop and unzip it.
    It has a 1024x768 resolution, quality 1 and is in windowed mode.

In "My Documents/Telltale Games/" you'll find a folder for the episode.
    Replace the existing prefs.prop with the one you downloaded.

I saw that thread, but didn't know how to change it to windowed mode since I can't get into the game. I'll try this, thanks.

Edit:
    YES. It works now, even in full screen. Thanks a lot!
  • edited January 2010
    Yeah, no problems with windows 7, I played all 5 episodes on it as my main PC
  • edited January 2010
    I played episodes 1-4 on Win XP. Since I upgraded to Vista, I can't play the fifth episode of ToMI. When i run the game, the launch screen goes white, like this:

newbitmapimageq.png

While at the same time, constantly listening to a mouse click-like sound in the background. While this is happening, it doesn't matter if i press the X, I can't close the game, only by using the task manager I can.

And, after a while, the clicking sound stops, and I get the following error message:

newbitmapimage2y.png

Any solutions to the problem? I really like to play it, as it is the last episode, and with the episode 4 cliffhanger and all, it's very unfair that this is happening. :S
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Could you check to make sure that your Internet Explorer is up to date? That could cause the wrapper issue you are seeing. If that doesn't work, do you have any new, overly anal virus scanners set up? Those could also interfere.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited January 2010
    Any solutions to the problem? I really like to play it, as it is the last episode, and with the episode 4 cliffhanger and all, it's very unfair that this is happening. :S

That's probably because of the non ASCII characters in your windows username (and therefore file path) as in this case.
    A quick workaround is to create another user profile to play the game.
    I don't know if simply changing the current username also changes the folders name, but I think it might not.
  • edited January 2010
    DjNDB wrote: »
    That's probably because of the non ASCII characters in your windows username (and therefore file path) as in this case.
    A quick workaround is to create another user profile to play the game.
    I don't know if simply changing the current username also changes the folders name, but I think it might not.

Thanks to both of you for your quick replies. The problem was with the non ASCII characters, so now, it works like a charm. Thank you Telltale games, you're the best. :P
This discussion has been closed.