TOMI 4 Slow to start and random crashing

edited November 2009 in Game Support
Hi I've read a lot of the other threads and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game and made sure my directx was up to date. When I start up the game and use the small window to "launch game" it takes quite a while for anything to happen, but the game does eventually start up. Then I can play for a while but inevitably I will go through a spot that changes the scene (I can have done it several times already) and the screen goes black. You can still hear the sound, but then my monitor will blink off and say 'no signal', but then come back on a few seconds later. The screen also goes from black to white (still hearing sound, just the background sound) and the only way to get the program turned off is to press the shortcut on the keyboard to the start menu. This brings up the bottom task bar and then you have to right-click the game bar and hit 'close'. Then it finally brings up a 'end program' dialog and you can end the program. Sometimes their is an icon in the bottom taskbar and that says "display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered". But even if you just leave the game when it stops responding, nothing happens and you have to kill it using the method I described.
This sucks, I already played the other chapters on my friend's computer so I haven't tried any of the others on my own computer yet--but if this is what it is like, meh! When it crashes, I lose anything I've done that wasn't saved, and then have to wait a long time to close the program, wait for my computer to recover and then have the super-long start time again--and then it might crash again 5 minutes later.
My computer plays all kinds of other games, without any problems and I'm running Vista. Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• edited November 2009
    Also, my computer is set to 32-bit on the color display.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Have you tried redownloading the Episode after reinstalling?
    Maybe it's just a corrupted file.

Have you tried if it works in windowed mode? Press Alt-Enter to get there.

The igfx thing makes me think it might be worth updating your display driver.

It is also possible that your notebook (i assume) overheats.

It would also be helpful if you posted a dxdiag log.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited November 2009
    Oh man. Use paragraphs. This giant wall of text that is not pleasant to read.
    I will go through a spot that changes the scene (I can have done it several times already) and the screen goes black. You can still hear the sound, but then my monitor will blink off and say 'no signal', but then come back on a few seconds later.
    This is your video driver crashing on Vista.

Reinstall the driver for your 3d video card and check that it isn't overheating.
    The fan of the video card might be very dusty or dead.
    I'm 99% sure it's either a driver problem or overheating.
This discussion has been closed.