Wallace and Gromit Missing Graphics

edited April 2010 in Game Support
First off, I really love your games. I played through Sam and Max Seasons one and two, and all of the available Monkey Island games as soon as they were released. I thought maybe I would like Wallace and Gromit, as I liked the short films, and eagerly downloaded the free episode. However, while the demo worked fine, I seem to have come across some missing graphics. Menu screen, options, inventory sprites are all invisible. It is extremely difficult to play; there are terrifying shading glitches on Wallace, a vase with no flowers, and flowers with no vase.(creepy) My ATI Radeon X1200 managed to chug through the demo, as well as the Sam&Max games and Monkey Island, so I'm wondering what the problem is, is it fixable, and will this be a problem with future Telltale games? :(
Thanks!

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    There are some things you can try.
    Install the latest graphics driver for your system/model.
    Run the DirectX updater.

If that doesn't fix it, you could give us a dxdiag log so we can try to analyze a bit more.

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    I just found a thread with the same issue on the same graphics card.
    Sadly there was no solution, so if the above doesn't work we might be out of luck.
  • edited November 2009
    That's a shame. Apparently, the first episode works, so that would explain why I could play the demo... Too bad it wasn't the first episode that was free. :p

Thanks for the help! I'll try the suggestions you mentioned just in case...

Update: Graphics Driver didn't help.
    Question: Any reason the DirectX Updater is Deutsch? :D
    Update: DirectX is already up to date.
    In case it helps: Attachment added.
  • edited November 2009
    Figured that I'd drop in to say that I, too, have the exact same problem with the same video card and everything, soooo... D:
  • edited November 2009
    DoctorCello, I feel your pain. T^T

I hope this isn't going to be a problem with future Telltale games. If I can't play episode 5 of Tales, I'm going to have to kill something. Same goes for any future Sam&Max seasons. :mad:

If only there were a way to swap this free episode for the first one... ;)
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Yarbskoo wrote: »
    Question: Any reason the DirectX Updater is Deutsch? :D
    Nah, i just forgot to switch the language this time. Usually i link to English Versions of the websites.

There are still some things we can try.
    In the game:
    - Set the graphics level to 1
    - Set the game into windowed mode by pressing Alt-Enter
    In your video driver settings:
    - Try playing around with the 3D settings. E.g. disable everything, especially Catalyst A.I., and use the lowest settings on the slidebars
  • edited November 2009
    Had to go to the demo to figure out how to even GET to the graphics settings. :p Didn't make any words appear though...

Changing to windowed didn't help, and I tried over 25 different combinations of 3D settings, with and without Catalyst A.I.

Actually, I had a similar problem when trying to run Bioshock. Apparently, my graphics card supports Shader 2.0, but Bioshock requires 3.0.

Did the system requirements change between episodes? :confused:
  • edited November 2009
    Thought I'd share some screenshots:

Menu:
    11235_104518959563145_100000151245246_127439_1405403_n.jpg

Gravity-defying flowers:
    11235_104518962896478_100000151245246_127440_1777325_n.jpg

EEK!:eek:
    11235_104518966229811_100000151245246_127441_6676494_n.jpg

Invisible Queen:
    11235_104518969563144_100000151245246_127442_7918791_n.jpg
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Did the system requirements change between episodes? :confused:
    yes, they did.
  • edited November 2009
    Ah, that's a shame. Oh well, the episode was free, so I didn't lose anything except a couple hours of messing about with settings. Seems like a kind of waste though to have it just sitting there in my games list. Any thoughts on future Telltale games having this same issue?
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Any thoughts on future Telltale games having this same issue?
    Have you tried the Tales of Monkey Island demo?
    From the Wallace & Gromit point of view that's a future Telltale game.
  • edited November 2009
    I've played all of the Monkey Island episodes so far with no problems. Guess I'm lucky? :confused:
  • edited November 2009
    I've actually had the same problems you above me has had, with same Radeon x1200 card and updated settings. Because my game settings panel essentially has no words to guide me, as you've experienced, how do I get to the graphics settings to lower it down to "1"?
    I also have played TOMI 1-4 and haven't experienced any problems with missing graphics.
  • edited November 2009
    I'm sorry you had to go through this too. T^T

The graphics can be changed by moving the pointer just below the settings box and clicking there. There will be arrows pointing left and right with a number between them. The number is the graphics setting, and the arrows change it. It won't fix the graphics (at least not for me), but it will make it run faster. :P

If you have trouble finding it, try the Wallace and Gromit demo. It doesn't seem to have the same graphics problems as the rest of the series. According to http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=163827&postcount=1 ,"Fright of the Bumblebees" works, so the demo probably works because it was based off of that episode.
  • edited November 2009
    I've also got some problems in this game...

Only difference is, i don't get any graphics at all.
    There is just a big black screen, some sound and my mouse... that's it.

updated everything i could think of, but it's still the same.

i'm also so running the ATI x1200 as you could probably guess
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    If you just have a black screen, try hitting alt+enter to get the game out of full screen mode. That might solve it for you.
  • edited November 2009
    That might help, i'll check that out tonight
  • edited November 2009
    nope, that just gave a smaller black screen
  • edited November 2009
    solilique wrote: »
    I hadn't gotten any graphics either when I first installed Muzzled, so I went searching around the forums to see if anyone else had the same problem. Though what I found was that it wasn't a priority problem, you could still get some more graphics if you try upgrading the Radeon x1200 drivers to the latest (and last, this card is now considered 'legacy', they won't be touching it either from now on at ATI) drivers here:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/integrated_vista32.aspx?type=2.7&product=2.7.3.3.1.3.2&lang=English

This post in the W&G general discusion fixed the black screen.
    Now i'm just missing al lot of background and stuff like the rest here ;)
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited November 2009
    Yeah, unfortunately with some of these legacy radeon cards, weird things like this have been known to happen. If you've bought the game, we would be happy to offer you a refund if you write to support@telltalegames.com
  • edited November 2009
    thanks, i downloaded mine using the offer last week just to kill time before TMI's finale episode...

please don't tell that won't work either :D
  • edited April 2010
    I am also having problems with W&G :(

I had some glitches with textures and invisible sprites in W&G Episode 1 with my old Radeon 9800 pro. However they could be resolved by changing the level of graphic details each time I ran the game.

In the meantime I have changed my machine and I am trying to play Episode 2. The card I am using now is a Radeon HD 4200 (onboard). First I was happy that there were no glitches. Until I completed the scene (stuff to collect for the beach). I cannot see any characters in the game anymore, they're invisible. The only room I am seeing Gromit is in his bedroom.

I've tried to play around with resolution, detail level and window/fullscreen mode. Nothing has worked so far :(

Any idea how to resolve this? I didn't have any problems with all the other TT games, why is W&G so different?
This discussion has been closed.