Is Season One updated?

edited February 2010 in Sam & Max
As in, is it updated to use the same engine and controls as Season Two, or at least updated to support 1920*1080, like Season Two is? I only have the retail Season One dvd from JoWood and The Adventure Company, which only supports up to 1280*900 res or something. Also, it doesn't have a PAUSE feature (no way to pause while in cutscenes, annoying when I have to tend for my kids or I get a phonecall or whatever. Especially considering how fast paced the dialogue is in Sam and Max). I may buy it again if it does support it (although only after I bought just about everything else from Telltale).

Comments

• edited November 2009
    No.
  • edited November 2009
    I think they're making a 30th Anniversary Season One DVD as we speak.
  • edited November 2009
    I think they're making a 30th Anniversary Season One DVD as we speak.

I'd like to say this is funny, but I truly do not get it.
  • edited November 2009
    I'd like to say this is funny, but I truly do not get it.

The 30th Anniversary Edition of Sam and Max: Season One contains:
    • At least updated to support 1920*1080
    • A PAUSE button
    • And of course includes uncut, too rude for release scenes.
  • edited November 2009
    At least, we can do something about the resolution issue: http://widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Tell_Tale_Games_Custom_Resolution_Tool
    Some glitches occasionally, but very playable.
  • edited November 2009
    But will the "Warp Drive" option do anything?
  • edited November 2009
    Thanks for the link to the widescreen mod. Sam & Max Season 1 looks great with it (I'm running 1680x1050).

-HM
  • edited November 2009
    Is it possible to put out a patch that fixes any problems that were overlooked the first time around? Or have you already done that?
  • edited January 2010
    I just bought this through steam deal. What does "Warp Drive" option do in season 1?
  • WillWill Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    It does everything and nothing.

But mostly nothing.
  • edited January 2010
    Ah! I hate it when it does that! :) thanks.
  • edited January 2010
    If memory serves, "Warp drive" (patent pending) was a place holder in case they needed another toggle option. Although they ended up not needing it, and instead of removing it they got lazy left it in as a joke to amuse and confuse.

Also, updating S1 to support widescreen is not as simple as widening the frame, it would take some serious work to reformat some of the assets. (not to mention that in many places, there is some weird goings on outside the 4:3 frame when widescreen is used)

Even though they made the necessary updates for the Wii and XBLA versions, those changes would need to be redone on the PC version... which would cost a lot to telltale, and not many would re-buy S1 just for added widescreen support (although I would :rolleyes: )
  • edited January 2010
    Will wrote: »

But mostly nothing.

But when it does everything... well... everyone needs to check it out for themselves! :D
  • edited January 2010
    At least, we can do something about the resolution issue: http://widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/Tell_Tale_Games_Custom_Resolution_Tool
    Some glitches occasionally, but very playable.

I dont know how to use this, can anybody help! Installed the thing but it says' prefs.prof file not found! I don't know what to do
  • edited January 2010
    Dangerzone wrote: »
    Even though they made the necessary updates for the Wii and XBLA versions, those changes would need to be redone on the PC version... which would cost a lot to telltale, and not many would re-buy S1 just for added widescreen support (although I would :rolleyes: )

Hey, it would be free to download, and the new disc would probably be free too (I suppose).
  • EmilyEmily Telltale Alumni
    edited January 2010
    Hey, it would be free to download, and the new disc would probably be free too (I suppose).

And that's exactly the point. Anything that's free for the customer is a money loss for Telltale. In some cases it makes sense, in others it doesn't...
  • edited January 2010
    Emily wrote: »
    And that's exactly the point. Anything that's free for the customer is a money loss for Telltale. In some cases it makes sense, in others it doesn't...

Oh, I'm just saying, I don't think it makes sense. They'd probably only do it with a good excuse to charge again... Maybe redo the games on the new engine? Wasd and all.

Well, of course it's early for that.
  • edited January 2010
    I actually think widescreen support being lacking in season 1 was better.

When I finally got up to season 2, the characters looked like 10x better. So I was like wooooo.
  • edited January 2010
    Will wrote: »

But mostly nothing.

Everything IS nothing, philosophically speaking.

This post has no meaning, that it has the most meaning in these forums.
  • edited January 2010
    SuperBosco wrote: »
    I dont know how to use this, can anybody help! Installed the thing but it says' prefs.prof file not found! I don't know what to do

That would mean either:

a) you did not run the program out of the directory where the prefs.prop file is located, or

b) you are using Vista/7 and you need to turn UAC off to use the program.
  • edited February 2010
    Am I going crazy? I just had to reinstall everything and season 1 looks squashed in my widescreen monitor and fills it. I could swear that before, it was window-boxed with black bars on the sides or am I imagining things?
  • edited February 2010
    Zodler wrote: »
    Am I going crazy? I just had to reinstall everything and season 1 looks squashed in my widescreen monitor and fills it. I could swear that before, it was window-boxed with black bars on the sides or am I imagining things?

It means you have set the game at a different resolution than you had it on before. Just go to the settings menu and change it so that it doesn't look squashed. I don't think it has been updated. You should be seeing them in normal proportions with black bars.
  • edited February 2010
    It has 3 resolutions and all of them gives me squashed 4:3 image filling widescreen. I actually don't remember if it was with black bars before. Now that I think about it, it may have always been squashed. Have you tried it on widescreen monitors?....and it gives black bars?
  • edited February 2010
    It depends on how your monitor is set. I have mine set to give me the proper aspect ratio, even if it's a 4:3 game on my 16:10 monitor. I don't like stretching the image.

-HM
  • edited February 2010
    I just started playing the game for the first time and it didn't even seem strange to me that Sam was a bit of a fatty until I read this topic.
  • edited February 2010
    SuperBosco wrote: »

Download the .zip
    Open the zip and extract the TTres file
    Move the file into the folder where the files are for one of your Season1 episodes.
    Run the TTres file.
    Click "Read"
    Input your native screen resolution (the res. your pc likes best) into the boxes.
    Click Patch.

Run the episode to make sure it works. (You will notice while playing ingame, not at the Main Menu)

If it doesn't work, delete prefs.prop, run the episode, change the resolution to anything, click apply, quit the episode and try patching again.

If it does work, move/copy the TTres file to another episode of Season 1 and patch that one.
    Lather.
    Rinse.
    Repeat.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited February 2010
    Hollow Man wrote: »
    It depends on how your monitor is set. I have mine set to give me the proper aspect ratio, even if it's a 4:3 game on my 16:10 monitor. I don't like stretching the image.

If it's not the Monitor it could be scaling in the Graphics drivers. I've seen this at least in Nvidia drivers.
  • edited February 2010
    It's true.

On my desktop PC, my monitor OSD controls have a setting called "Image Size." If my screen resolution is already a 16:10 ratio (1440x900 is native for my monitor,) that setting can not be used. However, if the ratio is something other than 16:10, the "Image Size" setting can then be set to "Wide" or "Normal." Normal means that it pillarboxes (black bars on the sides), Wide means it stretches the image.

However, on my Laptop, in the "Intel Graphics Media" display settings, there is a button that says "Aspect Ratio Options," that when clicked will display a menu where I can tell the adapter to fill the screen or keep the exact ratio when I don't have a 16:10 resolution displayed.
  • edited February 2010
    WarpSpeed wrote: »

It allows faster-than-light travel, but you got to be careful. When I opened the Warp portal, a demon came out and possessed my VCR.
  • edited February 2010
    WarpSpeed wrote: »
    It allows faster-than-light travel, but you got to be careful. When I opened the Warp portal, a demon came out and possessed my VCR.

You still use your VCR? Wow, I haven't touched mine in over a year or more.
  • edited February 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

Me neither, but I have a possesed DVD player, that counts?
  • edited February 2010
    Chyron8472 wrote: »

Yep, My DVD player doesn't have record option, so I use VCR to tape my favourite TV programmes when I'm not home, so that I can watch those later.
  • edited February 2010
    I just jumped to Episode 2, loved the first one but boy I was disappointed with Max's voice in episode 2. I immediately noticed that it was a new voice actor and I don't like it. I think Max's voice in Episode 1 was perfect.
Sign in to comment in this discussion.