Microsoft stops me getting in!

edited December 2009 in Game Support
When I try and run the game I get the Micrsoft banner saying:

"Telltale Games has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience".

I've plenty of HD space and I've tried implementing a clean boot as wel as updating DirectX. I still get the same message. The problem seems different from other posts so I can find a fix on the forum anywhere else.

Anyoe got any ideas? Many thanks!:)

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    What game are you talking about and have you tried different episodes?

Also please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited November 2009
    Apologies. The game is Monkey Island: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal. I had the problem when I tried to get into the first chapter; Chaper 1.

I've attached the zipped DxDiag file.

Many thanks or your help.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Armstrong wrote: »
    Apologies. The game is Monkey Island: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal. I had the problem when I tried to get into the first chapter; Chaper 1.

I've attached the zipped DxDiag file.

Many thanks or your help.

I'll take a look at it right away.
    You should try if another episode at least starts.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    It's an old friend. Set your display color depth to 32 bit and it should work.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    Two more things.
    Your drivers are quite old and should be updated. Install the latest ones from here:
    Graphics drivers
    Sound drivers
  • edited November 2009
    Many thanks for your help. The downloads were probaby needed although it was the 32 colour that actually did the trick!

It's difficult to imagine how I could have solved it without the hep of the forum.

Thanks again.

Armstrong
  • edited December 2009
    DjNDB wrote: »
    What game are you talking about and have you tried different episodes?

Also please give us some more information:
    dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.

Hello,
    I am having the same problem as posted previously - when I try to start the game i get an error message saying "telltale games has encountered a problem and needs to close".

i have zipped the file incase you can help me!
  • edited December 2009
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    So you'll want to set your desktop color depth to 16 32 bit, that should make things work better...
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited December 2009
    user1 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am having the same problem as posted previously - when I try to start the game i get an error message saying "telltale games has encountered a problem and needs to close".

i have zipped the file incase you can help me!

Same solution for you as well. Set the display color depth to 32 bit and it should work.

I however notice that you are trying to run it on a pretty old notebook. It is probable that the graphics chip is to weak as well and you have very little memory.

Your Graphics and Audio drivers are pretty old as well.
    There are however only slightly newer ones.
This discussion has been closed.