Text Overlays Disappear In TOMI

edited November 2009 in Game Support
Twice now I've had the text overlays that point out things like object names, etc. just disappear on me in Tales Of Monkey Island. The first time it happened with Chapter 1 and now it just happened again with Chapter 2. I did recently change the game resolution so I don't know if that might somehow be linked with the problem showing up. Quitting the game entirely and starting it back up restores the text, but since it happened twice now I assume it's a bug, not an unlucky coincidence. I'm playing it on an AMD 5600+ with 2GB of ram in WindowsXP with an Nvidia 7900GS graphics card, if that matters.

I started looking through these forums to see if anyone else mentioned it, but there's 17 (!) pages of threads and that's just sucking up too much of my valuable time. I think some of these threads should be reorganized into a "known bugs" list or something once they're addressed. They should also be organized by game. I'm just seeing one large support forum for EVERY GAME you guys make and so it's a big jumble.

Also, I really hate how all your games FORCE you to watch the end credits after a game episode is finished. Do you seriously think for one second that anyone is actually READING all those credits??? Worse yet, my computer appears to be paralyzed while it's going on (at least I have yet to find a key sequence that does anything while they're displaying). Too bad if I need to get back to Windows for something that's actually more important than your credit scrolls. Considering it does it on EVERY EPISODE of the SAME GAME SERIES it's beyond annoying, IMO, especially when you consider you are then done with that game for all eternity since the next episode is completely separate. Yes, I consider this a bug since it takes over the computer without so much as a force exit available.

Comments

• DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    VonMagnum wrote: »
    Twice now I've had the text overlays that point out things like object names, etc. just disappear on me in Tales Of Monkey Island.

Also, I really hate how all your games FORCE you to watch the end credits after a game episode is finished. Do you seriously think for one second that anyone is actually READING all those credits???

Actually I read them every time :D You can exit Full Screen with Alt-Enter and close the window.

I read here a lot and never heard about that issue. Could you give us a dxdiag?

dxdiag
    Windows XP: Go to your start menu and click on run. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter
    Windows Vista / 7: Press the windows key on your keyboard or click on the start menu. Type in "dxdiag" and hit enter.

Now click on the button that says "save all information".
    It will prompt you to save a file. Save it where you can find it.

Then e.g. zip the file and attach it to a message.
  • edited November 2009
    I've attached the requested file with this message.

I've also just found another bug in Chapter 2. After you sink the pirate ship with the rubber mast, if you go over and use the canon, it will show the enemy pirate guy shooting back at your canon ball except he's not standing on a ship and Guybrush then comments that this will never work. The canon, etc. is floating in mid-air. He shouldn't even be there since he's sunk. Afterward, he's gone again. For that matter, I've noticed a few areas in general where replies/hints regarding various items don't make logical sense since Guybrush should know that he's already done the given task. For one example, using the fish eggs in the fishing well AFTER you get the artifact makes a comment about needing better bait. He already had the better bait and used it so no such hint is needed any longer.
  • DjNDBDjNDB Moderator
    edited November 2009
    VonMagnum wrote: »
    I've also just found another bug in Chapter 2.

Chapter two had a lot of glitches. We made a list here.
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
    Driver Date/Size: 9/17/2008 11:55:00, 6057472 bytes

You should try the latest nvidia drivers.
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll: 9.05.0132.0000 English Final Retail 12/29/2007 10:05:35 473600 bytes
    Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll: 5.04.0000.3900 English Final Retail 12/29/2007 10:05:32 2676224 bytes

You also need to update your DirectX
This discussion has been closed.